Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best pistols for AIWB carry?

If I had to pick it would be either an hk (with lem) or glock with gadget ect.. something that had positve feedback whether or not the trigger was being pulled and the ability on my part to easily overpower it ie. my thumb on top the hammer or gadget. As Doc put it though as long as you use very prudent methods for reholstering it can be very safe, I just prefer to have a little extra safety.

eta: if I was to reccomend a 1911 I would definately prefer a series 80 . Also as I believe Doc has recomended before I would want the 1911 set up properly there is very little inbetween on 1911's if you can't afford to spend a fair amount of money on a good one, don't waste your time.
    Last edited by nar472; 01-17-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is the list of ND's at Front Sight I referred to in a previous post:

http://www.frontsight.com/SafetyRepo...howSingle&ID=5

With the exception of one instance with a gold Cup, every other instance appears to be a software issue, and surprisingly, Sig pistols were frequently involved. Anyone care to explain exactly what safety features are desirable on a pistol carried AIWB, and what problem(s) those safety features will prevent?
    OT, I know, but many of their NDs occurred the afternoon of the fourth day on a four day class. They should take that afternoon off...

I do not have the cool points to break rule two and feel like I'm doing it right, but just supposing y'all had tempted me into trying it, I did find that the beavertail and sweatshield stabbed me like a Rikers con. My PM9 fits much better in an Alessi Talon.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    I do not have the cool points to break rule two and feel like I'm doing it right
    I bet you're breaking rule two with any method. OWB on the hip, IWB behind the hip, drop rig on the thigh.........I bet the gun is always sweeping your body or pointing at you. If you have an open muzzle holster, put a dowel in your barrel and try to holster, or drop a chamber laser in it if you have one. Unless, of course, you're shaped like a perfectly flat concrete block with square angles.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Appendix allows you to carry a full size pistol comfortably and concealed, subject to finding a holster that works with your body type. HK45, Glock 20/21, and obviously smaller pistols, are no problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    1986s4,

Have you had any DA specific training? In my short 5 years in formal handgun training experience, I've never heard anyone diss DA after they learned how to shoot it properly.

_________
    Off topic: By any chance, would you happen to be a Group B fan, or are you just a Audi S4 fan? The Group B S4 Quattro was a monster. What I would give to be able to drive one of those.........(on a skidpad of course, otherwise I'm sure I'd fly into the trees like many professional drivers did)
    My first handgun was a S&W revolver, M18 .22LR. Many happy hours on a California mountainside with that gun... I did not not mean to leave the impression that I was unsatisfied w/ the P-30. It does what I need it to, quite well. Just exploring options. AWIB as good as it is, does seem to carry special risks that I will either be comfortable with or not.
    Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question.
    1986s4

I bet you're breaking rule two with any method. OWB on the hip, IWB behind the hip, drop rig on the thigh.........I bet the gun is always sweeping your body or pointing at you. If you have an open muzzle holster, put a dowel in your barrel and try to holster, or drop a chamber laser in it if you have one. Unless, of course, you're shaped like a perfectly flat concrete block with square angles.
    Yeah, but the stuff you cover is a lot more significant with appendix.

Here is my thinking on appendix carry. I absolutely prefer it, because it is concealable, comfortable, has reduced my back pain, and eliminated the need to transition to a shoulder holster in aircraft. While I think folks are willing to accept the risk of appendix, if you needed to draw the pistol for real, most are not thrilled about the thought of shooting themselves in a training accident. I also believe a group training environment or match may create some distractions that could contribute to an appendix mistake. My preference is to use a OWB holster at the three o'clock position for most training, practice appendix mostly dry firing, and do limited appendix live fire practice in controlled circumstances.

Here is my thinking on appendix carry. I absolutely prefer it, because it is concealable, comfortable, has reduced my back pain, and eliminated the need to transition to a shoulder holster in aircraft. While I think folks are willing to accept the risk of appendix, if you needed to draw the pistol for real, most are not thrilled about the thought of shooting themselves in a training accident. I also believe a group training environment or match may create some distractions that could contribute to an appendix mistake. My preference is to use a OWB holster at the three o'clock position for most training, practice appendix mostly dry firing, and do limited appendix live fire practice in controlled circumstances.
    I never contested or downplayed that AIWB covers more important stuff....the point still stands that if breaking rule 2 itself is a concern then it's moot since using most holsters will break that rule.

That's cool to see you've found AIWB usable for your flying. Curious......was the back pain with a shoulder holster or belt holster?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

My preference is to use a OWB holster at the three o'clock position for most training, practice appendix mostly dry firing, and do limited appendix live fire practice in controlled circumstances.
    Across several decades, I've found that formula to work well and the few times I needed being armed, I never forgot where that heater was.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I never contested or downplayed that AIWB covers more important stuff....the point still stands that if breaking rule 2 itself is a concern then it's moot since using most holsters will break that rule.

That's cool to see you've found AIWB usable for your flying. Curious......was the back pain with a shoulder holster or belt holster?
    Back pain was a result of a pistol worn on, or behind the hip, digging into me in form fitting seats. It had gotten to the point that I removed the belt holster and transferred to a shoulder holster. Appendix is a lot less monkey motion since it works in most everything I fly or would consider flying.

User Tag List