Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best pistols for AIWB carry?

Site Supporter
    I'm splitting the 2011/1911 specific AIWB posts to a new thread:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...2011-with-AIWB

Majority of ND's were with striker fired guns...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is the list of ND's at Front Sight I referred to in a previous post:

http://www.frontsight.com/SafetyRepo...howSingle&ID=5

With the exception of one instance with a gold Cup, every other instance appears to be a software issue, and surprisingly, Sig pistols were frequently involved. Anyone care to explain exactly what safety features are desirable on a pistol carried AIWB, and what problem(s) those safety features will prevent?
    Actually of the 21 NDs: Only 3 were SA/DA Sigs, 11 were Striker Fired (Glock, XD, M&P without safety), and 7 were 1911s. In all 3 cases involving the Sigs, the shooter failed to de-cock the hammer before holstering. In all 7 of the incidences involving 1911's, the shooter failed to activate the manual thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Still, though, I just have a case of the mental heebie-jeebies about carrying a pistol that is all coiled up and ready to bust a primer pointing at my vitals. I admit it's not rational.
    I’d argue it’s very rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ...however, I'm not ashamed to admit that I just won't carry a gun that is all charged up with the energy to bust a cap pointing at my vitals, no matter how many mechanical safeties it has. I freely admit that this is not necessarily a rational viewpoint, but there you go.
    Admittedly, I’ve carried an EDC X9 and G19 in this manner, I do get this itching in the back of my mind that I’m relying on mechanical features to keep the gun from firing. I feel most comfortable with my 92 Compact. Even if parts on that gun break, it’s not “coiled up” and ready to fire.

BTW, I really like your terminology on this manner.

At the risk of sounding irrational as well, I was at at Grim Reaper concert a few years back. It was a small little joint, but they were amped up for playing an arena. I was carrying a P938 in a pocket holster, cocked and locked. I actually started to wonder if the obnoxious excessive volume could trigger something bad.

How long till they notice?

Quote Originally Posted by GhastlyTT View Post
    How long till they notice?
    It'll take a bit.

@DocGKR would you be able to repost the images from your previous posts that show how you conceales a 1911 AIWB? I'm kind of curious how well it worked for you, but since the photobucket debacle they seem to have disappeared.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    Also consider what (likely) comes with that thumb safety: A very short and relatively light trigger pull.

As a side note, I've been in more than a few classes where a 1911 shooter holstered gun with a disengaged thumb safety.

Keep in mind it's not necessarily an A or B answer.
    And this is why I won’t appendix carry a 1911. I’ve never holstered a live 1911 with the safety off but I’ve done it in dry fire more than once. It’s way to easy for me to forget without stress I don’t want to test it under real stress.

Deleted. Subject addressed by an earlier poster.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 09-25-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Student
    Been thinking about a Sig X-Carry. I'm wondering if the beavertail is a printing concern.

I think we've had this discussion before. Did we come up with a discernible safety difference when holstering a 4lbs SA 1911 trigger off safe, a 5lbs striker trigger, and a 4-5lbs SA pull on a DA/SA not de-cocked?

1 AIWB a 1911. I don't thumb the hammer while holstering, I ride the safety UP all the way into the holster. Holding the safety in the ON position holds the sear, which is engaging the hammer. and with a quality rig like the SME, you CAN'T holster the pistol with the safety OFF.

otherwise, I would think a DA/SA pistol, would be "safer", but there's still the de-cocking action that must be completed prior to holstering
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-25-2018 at 03:46 PM.

User Tag List