Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best pistols for AIWB carry?

Best pistols for AIWB carry?

Since discovering AIWB carry I have put some thought into what is best/ safe for this style of carry. For me, I do not see myself going back to another type of carry as I like AWIB, comfortable and very concealable. I have read with great interest some of the comments on this, and other respectable sites, on the benefits and downsides of specific pistol designs for AWIB carry. I know there is a lot of opinion involved, but are there some pistols one should not carry AWIB? Some are not comfortable with Glocks and the newer Walther PPQ, some are not comfortable with the 1911 cocked and locked [sear breakage I think]. I use a DA/SA P-30, I like the P-30 for this type of carry, just not the downsides of the HK pistol, difficult DA trigger, lack of a wide selection of parts, e.g., sights. The P-30 is a fine weapon and does the job for which I intended, just wondering about options.
    Best,
    1986s4

If I were absolutely not comfortable AIWB with my Glocks (however I am), and the HKs were disqualified for whatever reason; Third gen S&W semiautos and the Beretta 92 compact would be on my list.
    Last edited by JHC; 01-17-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

P30LS with LEM if you need a safety and a non DA/SA.

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I use a DA/SA P-30, I like the P-30 for this type of carry, just not the downsides of the HK pistol, difficult DA trigger
    1986s4,

Have you had any DA specific training? In my short 5 years in formal handgun training experience, I've never heard anyone diss DA after they learned how to shoot it properly.

_________
    Off topic: By any chance, would you happen to be a Group B fan, or are you just a Audi S4 fan? The Group B S4 Quattro was a monster. What I would give to be able to drive one of those.........(on a skidpad of course, otherwise I'm sure I'd fly into the trees like many professional drivers did)
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The underlying premise of this thread seems to be that safety with appendix carry is largely a hardware issue. When a question of ND's of Glocks versus other pistols came up some months back in a discussion elsewhere, I got pointed to the Front Site web site, only because they have listed each ND there, that resulted in injury. When I went thru each incident, and tallied them up, I was amazed that ND's with Glock pistols were low compared to ND's with other pistols, many with thumb safeties, and probably especially low given the high percentage of Glock shooters. Not surprisingly, the ND's happened drawing or re-holstering. This makes me wonder if the potential for ND's with appendix carry is more a software issue than a hardware issue, and whether the presence of a thumb safety or hammer may thus provide a false sense of safety for those carrying appendix?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    and whether the presence of a thumb safety or hammer may thus provide a false sense of safety for those carrying appendix?
    Also consider what (likely) comes with that thumb safety: A very short and relatively light trigger pull.

As a side note, I've been in more than a few classes where a 1911 shooter holstered gun with a disengaged thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This makes me wonder if the potential for ND's with appendix carry is more a software issue than a hardware issue
    Keep in mind it's not necessarily an A or B answer.
    Last edited by JV_; 01-17-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: grammar edit.

There's nothing "wrong" with carrying a Glock / M&P AIWB. It is absolutely critical that the shooter knows exactly what he/she is doing, and has a quality holster when selecting this method of carry.

DA/SA may be safer for AIWB carry assuming you don't forget to decock prior to holstering. If decock is left out of the process and you don't ride the hammer with your thumb, you could be in even greater peril than with a DAO.

I didnt think about useing a 1911 With a good FPS like a series 80 maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Keep in mind it's not necessarily an A or B answer.
    Good point. I don't consider it either A or B, but I wonder what per cent is a hardware issue and what per cent is a software issue?

User Tag List