Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

You can jump it with your car battery.

To charge it, I would use a trickle charger, something that puts out 2 or 3 amps.

You will probably need to replace it. Once those little batteries die, they never come back the same.

Edit to address your edit about how long- It depends on the charge current of the system but I would guess 1 hour on a dead battery.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    The wording says 10V minimum to pull-start....many batteries fall into the 11.x or even 10.x volt ranges just from the starting load. If you eliminate the starting load you can still start the engine with a fairly discharged battery (which 10V definitely is).

I've got an old Suzuki 425cc motorcycle which I rode around with a dead battery for years. Having a kickstarter and ignition points instead of an electronic ignition meant that you could start it without any help from the battery at all; the small current built up by a couple of revolutions from the kickstarter was enough to fire the points, and after that the charging system powered the lights and other electrical needs just fine.

I'd like to see (and maybe it exists already) a retro streetgoing motorcycle with a fuel injection system and kick starter that didn't require a battery at all. But most if not all current electronic ignition systems require a fair amount of power just to operate, so the presence of a charged battery is a necessity.

And I agree with SecondsCount that at that voltage, your battery is beyond resuscitation. I wouldn't waste my time trying.

Any benefit to getting a lithium battery for $100 vs a lead acid for $30?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Battery is dead.

Any idea if there’s a charger of some sort for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any benefit to getting a lithium battery for $100 vs a lead acid for $30?
    Looks like I outsmarted/outspent myself again. Sprung for the lithium only to discover that (a) the connections are different and (b) the charger I bought doesn’t do 6v lithium. So I’m going to send that battery back and give charging the OEM battery a shot.

Name:  C134FA10-AC19-4134-B167-0DF1FDBC0B62.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  4BE5216D-1273-4BD1-A165-B9BFCCAC408D.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  71.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

My dad had generators with no charger for the battery, he would just get a new battery when one died. He wasnt very mechanically inclined, nor, i guess, were his friends that helped him with it.

His last gen had a small battery. It died, it was in a very difficult place to get to, up under the fuel tank and against the wall in his location so I bought a larger battery and plastic box, and longer cables. It sits on the floor next to the gen or on top if just sitting or being rolled around. Its also vastly simpler to charge or jump compared to the built in one it came with.

Ive jumped it with the truck, it ran fine once it started. I cant use the pull starter any more than slowly turning it over.

The motorcycle battery tender/trickle chargers with built in ring leads are nice, they unplug like Robs but otherwise just stay attached and ready, the charger is left on full time. Robs is likely a similar version to the one the local motorcycle shop had. I have no idea why some gens have no charger for the starting battery or no info on using one.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

The manual claims that the generator will charge the battery in this case, but given how dead the battery was i'm not surprised I wasn't able to revive it. Trying again on the charger just because I bought the wrong battery and it's not hurting me to try.

I ran the generator with no load for an hour+ and the battery went from effectively zero V to <6V in that hour. We'll see what the external charger does.

I think maybe we discussed this previously, but in terms of square, steel, gas cans (vs the round ones we use in construction), is their an A-answer option in terms of brands?

I'm seeing these
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avl-3009aor

and these
    https://www.mwjeep.com/p/wavian-jc0020rvs

Lunar Rover upgrade.

Name:  f5f74be062beb711b6856385e1c1548be934241b-1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  37.2 KB
    #RESIST

I’m awaiting delivery of a Champion 6250 DH. Looks like it’s $250 higher than when I bought a few days ago. I feel smart.

Thoughts on noise abatement? The neighbors are close, and I want to be nice. I’d like to build a lightweight enclosure that I can pop on and off, which will reduce noise and keep the weather off the machine. I don’t know if that’s practical while also venting exhaust out, feeding fresh air in, preventing heat build up from cooking the motor, and avoiding fire risk.

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    I’m awaiting delivery of a Champion 6250 DH. Looks like it’s $250 higher than when I bought a few days ago. I feel smart.

Thoughts on noise abatement? The neighbors are close, and I want to be nice. I’d like to build a lightweight enclosure that I can pop on and off, which will reduce noise and keep the weather off the machine. I don’t know if that’s practical while also venting exhaust out, feeding fresh air in, preventing heat build up from cooking the motor, and avoiding fire risk.
    That's an inverter so it's gonna be more quiet than your average smoke and noise genny. There's no reason why you cannot abate noise a little while remaining safe, depends on the materials you use and the design.

Also, that looks like a nice genny, congrats! Post a review when you get it!
    #RESIST

User Tag List