Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

So, we ordered our generator online from Harbor Freight since none were to be found in Reno due to the CA blackouts. It was promptly shipped. From a warehouse in Riverside, CA.

A local guy has a couple used Predator 3500's for sale. $500 each. I'm thinking of picking one up. Use would be to keep the fan in the gas furnace running and the refrigerator during a winter outage. Yes or no?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

You're probably OK but it's hard to say without access to the data plate for the appliances. We're using it to back up a chest freezer and the furnace fan. It will easily handle the running load, but the starting load can be a challenge. Compressors in particular can hit the power supply pretty hard at startup. For our freezer, I had to look all over for the plate that had the motor manufacturer, find the exact model of the freezer, and then ask Lord Google for sources of intel on the power requirements. It should be a simple "read the spec plate on the freezer" but it wasn't. The furnace was a little easier but still not truly obvious. In my case, if both units start up at exactly the same time they will be close to the generator's limit, but still within spec. Simultaneous startup is unlikely so I'm confident. The running load is no problem. This is for a chest freezer about 20 years old, about six feet long (pretty big) and an oil burning furnace for a 1700 square foot house, about 15 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    ... It will easily handle the running load, but the starting load can be a challenge. Compressors in particular can hit the power supply pretty hard at startup...
    Check and see if you can use a hard start capacitor on your compressor items, it reduces the voltage/amp load required to start them. Its a common thing to use according the the info ive seen, electricians use them regularly. I added one to my small window AC unit in my truck so the small honda gen would run it on eco mode, it does fine. The capacitor was about $12 locally, and plugs in piggyback on the existing start or run capacitor and give supposedly 500% more start power. The RV and boat living crowd have been dong it so they dont overload the ability of their generators to run their AC and other stuff, and not have to size up the gen to handle start loads.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Another option. A little more running watts than the Predator.

https://tools.woot.com/offers/wen-56...5080_454880230

Less fuel capacity so shorter run times.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 11-24-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Another option. A little more running watts than the Predator.

https://tools.woot.com/offers/wen-56...5080_454880230

Less fuel capacity so shorter run times.
    So that deal is sold out, but they appear to have two versions on Amazon, and open frame and closed frame
    https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56380i-38...07PTNTRRJ?th=1

I'm assuming that the closed frame is the quieter option...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So that deal is sold out, but they appear to have two versions on Amazon, and open frame and closed frame
    https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56380i-38...07PTNTRRJ?th=1

I'm assuming that the closed frame is the quieter option...
    I think the only difference between the two is the plastic body panels with foam noise insulation. I'd be tempted to get the open frame if I didn't have my Harbor Freight 3500 inverter genny.
    #RESIST

Harbor Freight sent out an email with 15% off all HF brands, including Predator with no exclusions, through Wednesday.

https://www.harborfreight.com/?utm_s...ac41b6bf16377c

I wasn't sure if this was a good deal

Costco generator sale $679

Name:  Screenshot_20200302-125030_Chrome.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  38.1 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I have a 10k/8k Generac portable and planned on installing a transfer switch for several years. I called an electrician out and he recommended an interlock and an inlet instead of a transfer switch. It runs the whole panel and I just have to balance out my own load. He quoted 1k for the job. Got a second quote from another company and they suggested not even bothering with an interlock and just wiring the inlet to the breaker box for $500. That whole idea seemed unsafe and against code. Once again I decided to do it myself and installed the interlock and inlet this weekend. Total cost was about $200 for the interlock, power inlet, 30 amp breaker, tapcon screws / masonry bit, conduit and 10ga wire. Took about 2 hrs total to install and it works great. Powers everything in my home except for the 5 ton AC unit. I can run the smaller 2 ton upstairs AC unit but everything else must pretty must be off.

I installed this just in time. There's a tropical storm hitting Houston tomorrow.

Attachment 42679
    Well, looks like I got the inlet without the interlock, or any instruction on how to use it, haha.

Electricians were here yesterday doing a bunch of stuff, and one of the things they did was install this thing. Guess I’ll need to get busy figuring out how it works...

Name:  E64A8C91-4529-4CFB-BDC2-72211D715E8F.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  39.1 KB Name:  2AA8B47D-E013-4758-867C-67083B69FDB6.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  96C0882A-309D-47DA-9AAF-63C2B0F32745.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  45.5 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List