Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

The new Champion 4500w inverter looks great and is priced well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGS82P6
    #RESIST

After going 9 days without power and water last month following an ice storm, we're having transfer switches installed on both the barn and our house. The barn panel runs our well--which requires at least 7,500kw--and the house panel will run lights and some plugs; we can heat with our woodstove. Looking at a 10,000kw generator for the barn and likely a 2,200kw inverter for the house. My Dad has the Honda EU2200i and it worked very well for him during the ice storm and aftermath (they live three miles away from our place); it gave him the ability to run his pellet stove, some lights and a refrigerator for several days.

Picked this up a few weeks ago, 7kW inverter generator (8750W starting). For testing and break in, I ran most of the stuff in my shop with it yesterday afternoon (jointer, planer, table saw, shop vac, etc.). Worked great. I'll have an interlock kit installed in the house and should be able to run pretty much anything, just not all at once. Wanted an inverter generator for eco mode and clean power for electronics but needed something beefy enough to run our 1.5 HP 240V well pump, this fit the bill. Don't think it's quite powerful enough for the A/C, but maybe with a soft-start capacitor added it could work in a pinch, I'll check with my HVAC guy sometime. Long term I'd like a whole-house propane system, but now wasn't the time for a variety of reasons. This should work well in the interim and was a pretty good deal at about $900 to my door.

Name:  gen2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  79.9 KB

Harbor Freight has finally released a bigger inverter genny and it looks great. I really like the larger fuel tank.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-w...ure-57080.html

Name:  57080_W3.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  56.3 KB
    #RESIST

Saw that. It's sure tempting.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Picked this up a few weeks ago, 7kW inverter generator (8750W starting). For testing and break in, I ran most of the stuff in my shop with it yesterday afternoon (jointer, planer, table saw, shop vac, etc.). Worked great. I'll have an interlock kit installed in the house and should be able to run pretty much anything, just not all at once. Wanted an inverter generator for eco mode and clean power for electronics but needed something beefy enough to run our 1.5 HP 240V well pump, this fit the bill. Don't think it's quite powerful enough for the A/C, but maybe with a soft-start capacitor added it could work in a pinch, I'll check with my HVAC guy sometime. Long term I'd like a whole-house propane system, but now wasn't the time for a variety of reasons. This should work well in the interim and was a pretty good deal at about $900 to my door.

Name:  gen2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  79.9 KB
    where the HELL did you find that for $900???
    and are there more?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    and are there more?
    They’re on Amazon, delivered to your door for $1179, $900 doesn’t seem too unbelievable if you could find it say locally at Home Depot or Lowe’s and have a veterans discount.

https://amzn.to/3u8Okhc
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    and are there more?
    Got it from Zoro at the end of February. Unfortunately it's $1230 now and out of stock, but at the time it was $1080 shipped (crated, UPS Freight) and I had a single-use 20% off coupon from their email list. Though their coupons exclude some common brands like Fluke and Milwaukee and are sometimes limited to select categories, there are some great deals from time to time on stuff that never goes on sale anywhere else.

Grabbed this Honda 2200W as my first generator. Anything I should know maintenance wise?

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Grabbed this Honda 2200W as my first generator. Anything I should know maintenance wise?
    Someplace, maybe even here, I read that its a good idea to do the first oil change on small engines after a short period, kind of like what they used to call a break in oil change. I believe the idea is to try and flush out any shavings or machining residues. Then they are done at what ever the recommended interval is. FWIW, I run synthetic oil.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List