Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Speaking of inverters, what does PF like for the type that attach to a car/truck battery? Amazon has a few in the 1-2kW range that seem reasonable but I've only used the cheap, low-wattage type that plug into the cigarette lighter. What do you look for in higher power models?

Chester, VA, Facebook marketplace has a Honda 2200 for $500. Smells like a trap...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-d9fc4c9c8232

My Kipor finally died, lost spark, could be the switch or ignition coil. Regardless, I wanted to replace it with a Pred 3500w. It can power the AC and everything else in the trailer. It would be easier to load 2 small Honda or knockoffs in the back of the truck though, especially when I want just enough power to do maintenance on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Speaking of inverters, what does PF like for the type that attach to a car/truck battery? Amazon has a few in the 1-2kW range that seem reasonable but I've only used the cheap, low-wattage type that plug into the cigarette lighter. What do you look for in higher power models?
    Jack at The Survival Podcast, and his former expert council member Steven Harris, have recommended Cobra and Whistler for years. Here's his review with some "whys." At the bottom of the review, it also links to a couple episodes they did together on "Powering your house with your car."

I keep a couple 400w inverters around. I probably need to pick up an 800w and a larger 2500w too. Apparently those are the sweet spots. During a blackout I drag an extra car battery into the main living area, connect the 400w inverter to it and it'll easily power LED Christmas lights and charge devices. I run the Christmas lights around the perimeter of the room and it that works pretty well. I recharge the battery with a Schumacher smart charger.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Chester, VA, Facebook marketplace has a Honda 2200 for $500. Smells like a trap...

My Kipor finally died, lost spark, could be the switch or ignition coil. Regardless, I wanted to replace it with a Pred 3500w. It can power the AC and everything else in the trailer. It would be easier to load 2 small Honda or knockoffs in the back of the truck though, especially when I want just enough power to do maintenance on the trailer.
    I’d just put those aftermarket tires on the 3500 and load it up on the truck using 2x4s as a ramp, speaking from experience. Those larger air filled tires are game changers.
    #RESIST

My old smoke and noise (non-inverter) Champion 3500 genny finally let me down, as its starter rope broke. It was actually cheaper to buy a whole new recoil starter with new rope for $11 shipped rather than buy a new starter rope. About a 30 second install with three bolts to remove and it was back up and running.

Name:  2734947C-B917-4987-A35C-41C495F5A56C.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  55.4 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post

I’ve seen fraud like that on Craigslist with Honda gennys. They will ask for payment first and will claim to ship it after payment for a price that is too good to be true.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    FWIW, I decided to go ahead and take advantage of the $100 discount on the Generac through costco.com that expires tomorrow 8/4. I may yet still wind up with the Harbor Freight inverter as well, but with hurricane season upon us I didn't want to miss out on the discount.

Now to come up with the $50k for new windows so I don't have to run around the house with an impact driver, hammer drill, and cart full of plywood like some kind of day laborer every time the Atlantic sneezes at me...
    good times

Name:  2021-07-29 16_27_26-Mail - Robert Sloyer - Outlook.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  2021-07-29 16_27_37-Mail - Robert Sloyer - Outlook.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  67.8 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    good times

Name:  2021-07-29 16_27_26-Mail - Robert Sloyer - Outlook.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  2021-07-29 16_27_37-Mail - Robert Sloyer - Outlook.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  67.8 KB
    What is the next step? Return it to Costco?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    What is the next step? Return it to Costco?
    NVM. The second pic did not load the first time I saw rob's post.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Sam's Club has these for $399 ($200 off regular - 5 days only). Seems like decent value.

User Tag List