Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

I was planning on picking up a large generator before winter, but we have a big storm that is likely to hit this weekend and I’m unprepared. Recent developments are that I may not stay here more than another year, so I’ve been thinking a much smaller generator is what I want and plan for a whole house one at the next place.

HF has what they call a 1400 watt unit in stock locally for $439, but I’m sure they will sell out today. Is it worth it? We seem to think the HF Predator series is pretty decent. I’d always have it for camping use, too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1400-w...ogy-57063.html
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-20-2021 at 06:24 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I was planning on picking up a large generator before winter, but we have a big storm that is likely to hit this weekend and I’m unprepared. Recent developments are that I may not stay here more than another year, so I’ve been thinking a much smaller generator is what I want and plan for a whole house one at the next place.

HF has what they call a 1400 watt unit in stock locally for $439, but I’m sure they will sell out today. Is it worth it? We seem to think the HF Predator series is pretty decent. I’d always have it for camping use, too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1400-w...ogy-57063.html
    I went ahead and grabbed one - all eight they had sold while I was in the store. Fingers crossed that this wasn’t a wasted $439…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I went ahead and grabbed one - all eight they had sold while I was in the store. Fingers crossed that this wasn’t a wasted $439…
    It really depends on what your loads are. For just running a refrigerator and some electronics, such as a TV, you should be fine.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    It really depends on what your loads are. For just running a refrigerator and some electronics, such as a TV, you should be fine.
    Yep - that’s all. I’ll plug things in on a rotating schedule if I need it.
    Ken

Set the new little generator up. I had to laugh at the people bitching in reviews that oil wasn’t in the box - these are probably the same people who never unbox and test it long before it’s needed. 1/4 quart of full synthetic 10W30 onboard. It’s pretty quiet too, at least it is not under load.
    Ken

Set the new little generator up. I had to laugh at the people bitching in reviews that oil wasn’t in the box - these are probably the same people who never unbox and test it long before it’s needed. 1/4 quart of full synthetic 10W30 onboard. It’s pretty quiet too, at least it is not under load.
    I think I mentioned this upthread, but there are a lot of people who have no idea about basics and whole families have died from people doing stuff like running generators in their basements or garages. That some don't have oil, spare spark plugs, ethanol treatment, etc. is hardly surprising.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Pic from early in the week, getting everything up and checked for Dorian.

Couldn't be happier with these two Honda EU2000i inverters. They've proven very reliable, and quite versatile with the parallel kit. One and only downside is that you have two generators to service, but I appreciate having the redundant backup. I rarely run two in parallel, as I don't try to power my house (fuel conservation) during outages, just keep the fridge running, some lights, and fans. Yamaha now makes similar models. Probably worth a look.

Attachment 41960
    I came here to specifically ask about the Yamahas vs the Honda. Anybody have any feedback one over the other?

I mentioned a couple of generators for power outages a few weeks ago to my Wife and just a few days ago she asked me when Im getting them. 😎 Shes a keeper.

We are in an older neighborhood and it seems theres a lot of people who dont maintain their trees and with above ground service we loose power typically during winter storms. Our longest outage was over a week. That same outage a neighbors tree knocked a hole in the roof and tore the gutters off the front of the house.

I installed underground to our house and upgraded from a fuse panel to a breaker panel. As Im slowly working to rewire the house and getting ready to do a kitchen remodel now would be a good time to set a transfer switch and separate all the emergency power circuits.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-03-2021 at 07:49 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Fuel consumption

I have a 22 KW whole house liquid cooled gen set powered by a natural gas fueled 4 cyl Mitsubishi engine. Hurricane Ida had us off the grid for 11 days. Gen ran non stop for 11+ days. Fuel cost was $310 or about $1.20/Hr. which I didn't find unreasonable. Just thought I'd toss this info out there for those considering a whole house set up.

Quote Originally Posted by dmiculek View Post
    I have a 22 KW whole house liquid cooled gen set powered by a natural gas fueled 4 cyl Mitsubishi engine. Hurricane Ida had us off the grid for 11 days. Gen ran non stop for 11+ days. Fuel cost was $310 or about $1.20/Hr. which I didn't find unreasonable. Just thought I'd toss this info out there for those considering a whole house set up.
    Good info. Donnie & PM into ya from a former Caddo parish fella.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I came here to specifically ask about the Yamahas vs the Honda. Anybody have any feedback one over the other?

I mentioned a couple of generators for power outages a few weeks ago to my Wife and just a few days ago she asked me when Im getting them. 😎 Shes a keeper.

We are in an older neighborhood and it seems theres a lot of people who dont maintain their trees and with above ground service we loose power typically during winter storms. Our longest outage was over a week. That same outage a neighbors tree knocked a hole in the roof and tore the gutters off the front of the house.

I installed underground to our house and upgraded from a fuse panel to a breaker panel. As Im slowly working to rewire the house and getting ready to do a kitchen remodel now would be a good time to set a transfer switch and separate all the emergency power circuits.
    Either is fine, I’d go Yamaha over Honda because of Honda’s crazy price premium.
    #RESIST

User Tag List