Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    So the SO left the generator 4k Champion outside covered but in the elements since last year in SC.

Appears to be rusty, corroded and won't turn over with new gas.

Is it DOA or worth fixing?

It’s fixable, probably. I’d hose out all contacts/wiring with WD40, drain the gas, clean/check/replace the sparkplug if needed, and try to start it with fresh gas. If none of that works, post the model number on here, I might be able to find you a brand new carb for cheap.
    #RESIST

Maybe we’ve discussed it but...

Was at a neighbor’s house for a bbq over the weekend and we were talking generators. He actually has an above ground propane tank and as such is considering a dual-fuel generator. I dismissed it for my needs since I don’t have a large tank at my house, but then came home and thought about the 4-5 tanks I have sitting outside my workshop for my grill, and got curious about maybe being able to use those if needed, in addition to normal gas.

So what’s the consensus on the multi fuel types? I’ve seen them that do gas/propane and (I think?) that do gas/propane/natural. I think I’d go with the former but thinking about possibly moving to an area with city gas has me also considering the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Maybe we’ve discussed it but...

Was at a neighbor’s house for a bbq over the weekend and we were talking generators. He actually has an above ground propane tank and as such is considering a dual-fuel generator. I dismissed it for my needs since I don’t have a large tank at my house, but then came home and thought about the 4-5 tanks I have sitting outside my workshop for my grill, and got curious about maybe being able to use those if needed, in addition to normal gas.

So what’s the consensus on the multi fuel types? I’ve seen them that do gas/propane and (I think?) that do gas/propane/natural. I think I’d go with the former but thinking about possibly moving to an area with city gas has me also considering the latter.
    In your environment, they're good. In cold environments, not so good.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    Is it DOA or worth fixing?
    To be sure, someone would have to trouble shoot it and determine the actual problem(s). Assuming from your description that you have already drained and replaced the gas, the first things I would check would be any passive issues(sometimes referred to as something stupid), i.e. fuel tank shut off, on/off switch turned off, low oil as some units have low oil switches, etc. After that, basics are fuel, air and spark.

ETA: this is not in any way intended from dissuading you from stimulating the economy should you be so inclined. (see also Occam's razor)
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 07-22-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I posted this earlier and it makes sense for me to have dual fuel:

Decided to buy a dual-fuel Firman generator from Ebay, model was H08051. It was $824 shipped with a coupon. It does 8000 running watts on gas, 7250 watts on propane. I do have a 500 gallon tank in ground which does have a spot for me to plug in the generator.

I still have not run it in propane yet. And still have not run the house on it. I might have an empty house this Friday, so might be a good time to disconnect from the grid and give it a go.

I have the manual Reliance setup by the previous owner. 7500watt max so it drove my generator size selection.

I still want a Predator 3.5k so I can bring it camping.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Probably not a bad idea to do the math on how much propane its going to cost to run your house "like normal" on that Kohler. A co-worker said his dad had a similar setup and lost power for a whole week. They used things in the house like normal but when the gas bill came it was an eye-opener and they pared down to essentials.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yup, just because you “can” does not mean you should.

I just ran for 72 hours after serious thunderstorms took out power Friday night. Probably used 50-60 gallons of propane. Had AC on for the last day of the “heatwave”, but otherwise took it easy with one load of laundry and some light stove usage. I’m OK with that.

Good buy?

3500 running 4375 peak

Champion

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAM...ium=AFF&rid=10

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Still liking that HF3500?

On sale for $699 again and hurricane season is coming.

Already have a Pulsar PG2000iS.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

EFI powered generators?
    While I'm not opposed, how does that affect the ability to run them on NG or propane?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List