Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    I just saw this now.... Where were you a few days earlier buddy?? lol. I'll try to see if I can bring the receipt in and get the deal.
    I'd be surprised if HF didn't hook you up.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What I consider is the very best deal in small, portable generators right now; the Harbor Freight 3500w inverter is now $659 with this coupon. I recently used mine during a 36 hour windstorm and it was flawless and quiet, sipped fuel.
    Name:  Love Post.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  51.1 KB
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Hmmm, the China Freight flyer we have, and the China Freight web site, say $699.99 with the coupon...
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

There is a new Wen 3100 inverter, which is orange. The older model is yellow. At Home Depot for $650.

http://www.wenproducts.com/store/gen...CARB-Compliant

I suppose in Pro column is a 2 year warranty. Wen is relatively new to me but I guess has been around since the 1950s. We are planning some travel trailer action this summer and need a bigger generator to run the A/C. Some folks buy soft start kits and claim a 2000w will start their A/C units. At this point a bigger generator is probably the right path and the HF Predator 3500w is at the top of my list. Looking at the Champions 3100/3400 maybe dual fuel. This new Wen might be a player as well.

Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    There is a new Wen 3100 inverter, which is orange. The older model is yellow. At Home Depot for $650.

http://www.wenproducts.com/store/gen...CARB-Compliant
    Looked good until I saw that it is a pull-to-start. With my shoulders that's iffy, and the wife is even less likely to get it to go.

EDIT: #OldMan
    Last edited by Drang; 04-25-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Looked good until I saw that it is a pull-to-start. With my shoulders that's iffy, and the wife is even less likely to get it to go.

EDIT: #OldMan
    Good point. I'll probably toss my back out unloading the damn thing, won't be able to rip start it. Die in the woods. Seen it a hundred times!

Funny that this green beast just showed up in the comparison:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FYQTBP...detail_4?psc=1

First blush, its awesome. Has electric start but the real plus is a 4 gallon gas tank. Going to find out more info but it seems to check all the boxes for camping and light use for home emergencies.

Here's a question: Is there an advantage to a portable over a whole-home stand-by genset, with auto start?

We're talking ~$3200 and up (less installation) versus ~$700, for a unit that will power most or all the circuits in the house, tie in to the natural gas supply, and start itself when it detects a power outage.
    Glenn Reynolds

Portability? Price?

For home use, it depends on what level of preparedness you want or can afford.

You may not be able to power the entire house at the same time with a portable generator, but depending on the situation,you may not need to. Refrigerators and freezers, don’t need continuous power. An hour or two a day should be sufficient if you aren’t opening and closing them a bunch. Climate control could be an issue, but what can you do with a portable gen and a wall mount unit in a single room?

Whole house generators would be nice, but they are a massive investment that serves a single purpose. It requires upkeep. Could you accomplish the same thing with a couple portable gens, your car+inverter, a battery bank, some elbow and a plan for a fraction of the price and space? The portable units can be used for camping, tailgating, outdoor parties, or lent to your friend if he’s affected and you’re not.
    Last edited by David S.; 04-27-2018 at 01:37 AM.
    David S.

EDIT TO ADD preface: Price and portability are the only advantages that I can see; if we had an RV I don't know that there would be a question. (Or, the question might be "One or two, assuming there is a parallel kit available.")

The full scenario goes like this:
    I am at work or otherwise unavailable, the power goes out, and the wife has to lug the portable genset out of the garage, plug it in, start it, and flip the transfer switch. Probably in the dark, in the rain.

Versus

I am ditto, the power goes out, and the lights dim and come back to full brightness, and the wife has missed a commercial while the TV recovers.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-27-2018 at 02:32 AM.
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List