Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Excellent deal at Amazon on a 4500 inverter Champion generator. As in if you need an ICE generator, jump,on this!

https://amzn.to/3XgtOL5
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Excellent deal at Amazon on a 4500 inverter Champion generator. As in if you need an ICE generator, jump,on this!

You suck. Mods here are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

Damn! The 2500w is marked down too. I'm holding out for a Honda EU2200i and this is making it really really hard. I can literally buy three of these for one Honda. In the end I'm pretty sure the Honda would go as long as three of these but still...

A friendly reminder to op check your generators. My Firman 8k Dual Fuel (purchased in 2018) started spitting fuel out of the carb over the weekend. Its had very low usage, maybe 12 hours, and I run it every few months.

Looks like a new carb is $40-50 and I am likely going to order it direct from Firman.

Like this:
    https://firmanpowerequipment.com/products/h08051

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    A friendly reminder to op check your generators. My Firman 8k Dual Fuel (purchased in 2018) started spitting fuel out of the carb over the weekend. Its had very low usage, maybe 12 hours, and I run it every few months.

Looks like a new carb is $40-50 and I am likely going to order it direct from Firman.

Like this:
    https://firmanpowerequipment.com/products/h08051
    A new carb is likely your best bet. So easy to swap.
    #RESIST

we had a two hour power outtage this week.

Older daughter says "when are you going to start the generator" about 20 min in to the outtage.
    I said "why would I start the generator?"
    she says "what's the point of having it if you're not going to use it?"
    I says "it's for emergencies, and only a sissy yankee would consider this as an emergency".

10 minutes later the neighbor cranks his up and runs it for 30 minutes past the power coming back on because he didn't know it was back.

I enjoyed a nice cigar and a couple of drinks on the patio, reading for a change, with my Dewalt M18 fan blowing right at me, being serenaded by his generator noise.

But it all did remind me that hurricane season has started and I should go at least try and start the thing.

I have both a battery tender AND the stock battery maintainer cord thing that came with it plugged in so hopefully the two together keep things topped up.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    we had a two hour power outtage this week.

But it all did remind me that hurricane season has started and I should go at least try and start the thing.
    I was lucky last year right before Ian. My new generator's inverter?? - the small part that's responsible for it outputing electricity went bad and I got a replacement literally days before.
    Per PF advice, I like to run it under load every few months.

Bought a pair of the Champion 2500W dual-fuel models and like them so much, I decided to add dual-fuel capability to the pair of Honda EU2200i units we have with the intent of running them solely on propane going forward. The ease of using propane compared to the hassle of getting and keeping fuel stable makes this an easy decision. Since propane bypasses the carburetor, maintenance is simpler, and reliability should be better. For a unit that is run sporadically, getting the carburetor out of the system is a huge plus. No more gunk in float bowls and jets. Also no need to be stuck in lines at gas stations. There was no line at the local Ace Hardware we use to refill propane tanks. Propane ages well, especially compared to gasoline.

Since propane burns cleaner, the oil stays cleaner. The one performance negative of propane is the unit delivers about 10% less power. The financial negative is the cost of propane per watt is higher than gasoline's and the acquisition costs of additional tanks or tanks that have "aged out". We have three tanks now with a fourth scheduled to be purchased. A possible concern is the propane expanding as it leaves the tank can freeze the feed line in very humid conditions. Some warm water or warm air flow can mitigate this issue.

Hutch Mountain has a conversion kit that is easy to install. A little pricey but well worth it due to the maintenance hassles it eliminates.

User Tag List