Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Admitting that I have no experience with these, I would say it would depend on how frequent and prolonged power outages are in your area.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Looking at a house tie in generator to run the ac, fridge and freezer, anything else is just a bonus. Looking at probably a 48 to 72 hour outage tops.

I would assume I need an electrician to wire up a new panel for these specific items.

I do have a NG line that I could tap into to run my unit.

Any recommendations on if I should get a generator that I haul out for the occasional outage or if the cost is worth getting a permanent unit with an auto switch? Pretty noob in this area so any insight is useful.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago, I got a bid on one - 6 to 8k in my area to run off my existing propane tank. You’ll need some wattage to run the AC.

Honda inverter with some extension cords and gas can would be in the $1500 range.

Probably just depends on how deep you want to go.

I have a 500 gallon in ground propane tank. That would be the optimal choice, all other things being equal...which they don't seem to be. I need to explore one as we have outages more often than I like around these parts. Lots of national and state forests hereabouts. Downed lines are a thing.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Looking at a house tie in generator to run the ac, fridge and freezer, anything else is just a bonus. Looking at probably a 48 to 72 hour outage tops.
    FWIW, Amazon has a 2K inverter generator on their daily deals today. Before getting a whole house set up, I used to use the Ryobi version of this and some good extension cords to keep the fridge, freezer, sump pump, TV and coal stove running. For longer outages I would switch two of them every twelve hours or so. As already mentioned, AC typically requires a more powerful generator, wattage depends on your unit, for start up unless the AC is modified with a hard start kit. Inverter generators are very fuel efficient and quiet. That said, a standby generator with an automatic transfer switch is more convenient
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I have found a window unit paired with a portable generator to be a very workable, and relatively affordable solution to maintaining some semblance of comfort during power outages. The window unit is a bit of a pain to get installed, but it sure beats sitting around sweating.

Does it need to run automatically in your absence because other family members cannot operate one (start, refuel, basic troubleshoot, don't run in areas where carbon monoxide would be a problem) or be without one on their own overnight? Sometimes there are critical items such as refrigerated medicines, mobility tools, CPAP, etc.

Make sure whatever generator you choose has stable- and clean-enough output for any critical equipment. A proprerly-sized portable inverter generator is a safe all-around bet for 95% of all home users.

If everyone in the family is youngerish and capable... a portable gasoline generator can be very handy on site and off site. Double check generator weight to make sure everyone can move one around/load into vehicle. They're a little more maintenance intensive than a permanent genset: A portable should be able to run about a solid week before the oil needs changing, well within your stated need. Gasoline fuel can be a concern, bulk storing (or you'll likely be competing with others for fuel), treating and emptying the generator's fuel system if the generator is stored a season without use. Using true/real gasoline helps a lot with season-long storage concerns. Most of the decent generators have a fuel cut off valve so you can do a half-arse storage prep job by simply running it dry after turning off the supply from the fuel tank.

You can buy portable generators modified to run on propane/natural gas. No worries about fuel left in the fuel system for long-term storage. Propane stores for decades - tank integrity is the only long term issue. Propane generator will deplete the oxygen in an enclosed area but does not have the same carbon monoxide risk as a gasolone genset. Propane will also burn much much cleaner - extending the life of the generator motor. You need to use the right type of propane tank as well - there's difference between propane gas and liquid propane gas tanks.

Natural gas- and propane-converted GASOLINE generators will de-rate (decrease) generator power output because propane/NG do not have the same amount of energy potential as gasoline/diesel. Off the top of my head is around 10% for propane, worse on natural gas. Turbochargers help with compensating output but I seriously doubt you'll see aone turbo in home use. Higher altitude also de-rates generators.

An automatic generator should self test periodically... low maintenance other than changing oil at recommended intervals and inspecting to make sure ants and rodents aren't making a home and wreaking havoc on the wiring. Serious issue for ALL equipment that sits for a while.

FYI there seem to be listings for DIY kits to enable propane and/or natural gas for a single gasoline Generac generator. A natural gas model would obviously be very convenient - the only caveats being storm damaged compression stations or rare outages. A standby propane tank would be excellent insurance if you're the belt 'n suspenders type. The LP/NG kits and retrofit are not too complicated to install and tune - but that may be like telling someone that's never changed a tire that it's no big deal to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Does it need to run automatically in your absence because other family members cannot operate one (start, refuel, basic troubleshoot, don't run in areas where carbon monoxide would be a problem) or be without one on their own overnight? Sometimes there are critical items such as refrigerated medicines, mobility tools, CPAP, etc.

Make sure whatever generator you choose has stable- and clean-enough output for any critical equipment. A proprerly-sized portable inverter generator is a safe all-around bet for 95% of all home users.

If everyone in the family is youngerish and capable... a portable gasoline generator can be very handy on site and off site. Double check generator weight to make sure everyone can move one around/load into vehicle. They're a little more maintenance intensive than a permanent genset: A portable should be able to run about a solid week before the oil needs changing, well within your stated need. Gasoline fuel can be a concern, bulk storing (or you'll likely be competing with others for fuel), treating and emptying the generator's fuel system if the generator is stored a season without use. Using true/real gasoline helps a lot with season-long storage concerns. Most of the decent generators have a fuel cut off valve so you can do a half-arse storage prep job by simply running it dry after turning off the supply from the fuel tank.

You can buy portable generators modified to run on propane/natural gas. No worries about fuel left in the fuel system for long-term storage. Propane stores for decades - tank integrity is the only long term issue. Propane generator will deplete the oxygen in an enclosed area but does not have the same carbon monoxide risk as a gasolone genset. Propane will also burn much much cleaner - extending the life of the generator motor. You need to use the right type of propane tank as well - there's difference between propane gas and liquid propane gas tanks.

Natural gas- and propane-converted GASOLINE generators will de-rate (decrease) generator power output because propane/NG do not have the same amount of energy potential as gasoline/diesel. Off the top of my head is around 10% for propane, worse on natural gas. Turbochargers help with compensating output but I seriously doubt you'll see aone turbo in home use. Higher altitude also de-rates generators.

An automatic generator should self test periodically... low maintenance other than changing oil at recommended intervals and inspecting to make sure ants and rodents aren't making a home and wreaking havoc on the wiring. Serious issue for ALL equipment that sits for a while.

FYI there seem to be listings for DIY kits to enable propane and/or natural gas for a single gasoline Generac generator. A natural gas model would obviously be very convenient - the only caveats being storm damaged compression stations or rare outages. A standby propane tank would be excellent insurance if you're the belt 'n suspenders type. The LP/NG kits and retrofit are not too complicated to install and tune - but that may be like telling someone that's never changed a tire that it's no big deal to do so.
    Propane and gasoline both deplete oxygen if run in an enclosed space. Both also produce CO as a byproduct of combustion, as does natural gas. Propane motors are generally safer because the combustion efficiency is much better, but you should still be heads up for CO accumulation. If your generator is outside, then you don't need to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Propane and gasoline both deplete oxygen if run in an enclosed space. Both also produce CO as a byproduct of combustion, as does natural gas. Propane motors are generally safer because the combustion efficiency is much better, but you should still be heads up for CO accumulation. If your generator is outside, then you don't need to worry.
    Agreed on both counts!

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post

So how do I calculate my needs for start up and load. Is there a basic estimate sheet that can ball park my needs? Sounds like what I need is a transfer switch and plug in manualltly.

So how do I calculate my needs for start up and load. Is there a basic estimate sheet that can ball park my needs? Sounds like what I need is a transfer switch and plug in manualltly.

Here is a calculator:
    https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...age-calculator

I had a small Honda clone ~2k watts that can easily run 1 refrigerator when we lost power. The new house was wired with a manual transfer switch and external plug. The only issue is that its rated for 7500 watts (Reliance Controls brand).

Decided to buy a dual-fuel Firman generator from Ebay, model was H08051. It was $824 shipped with a coupon. It does 8000 running watts on gas, 7250 watts on propane. I do have a 500 gallon tank in ground which does have a spot for me to plug in the generator. My next step is to get the propane people here to bless the setup so I could, if need be, connect to the rental propane tank.

I am still breaking in the generator for the first 5 hours before I start figuring out how to use the manual box and what is connected to the breaker panels etc. Its a mystery and the previous owner didn't leave me with much info. I should be able to run 1 or maybe both my heat pumps since they use propane for heat in the winter. I am less worried about a summer storm and needing A/C, although I am sure it can run 1 unit to cool.

Good luck!!! Having an automatic unit would be nice buts it big bucks. I just hope I am not on a trip when a storm hits. The Firman does have an electric start so I just need to write down the procedure and hopefully the wife can make it happen.

User Tag List