Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    FWIW, when our first transfer switch was installed, the well pump required 220/30 amp which the generators under 6.5K AFAIK do not have.
    Ours is supposed to have 220v to one of the pumps, but it doesn't. 220v 30a is a LOT. That's equivalent to a 60a 110v outlet. The whole point, in our case, of having the house pump on 220 is so that it will draw less amps. It's currently a 20a 110v wiring which overloads the circuit, when what it needs is a 220V 15a dedicated and we'd never have any problems.

I also *should* be able to decide which pump I want to run. I could run just the well pump and first stage RO equipmeent to fill the tank, and then the house pump and second stage to go from the tank to the house.

Either way, it's a good thing to think about re: the generator sizing. Especially if I ever get around to what I really want which is a burried propane tank, a whole-house backup generator, and an automatic transfer switch.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Ours is supposed to have 220v to one of the pumps, but it doesn't. 220v 30a is a LOT. That's equivalent to a 60a 110v outlet. The whole point, in our case, of having the house pump on 220 is so that it will draw less amps. It's currently a 20a 110v wiring which overloads the circuit, when what it needs is a 220V 15a dedicated and we'd never have any problems.

I also *should* be able to decide which pump I want to run. I could run just the well pump and first stage RO equipmeent to fill the tank, and then the house pump and second stage to go from the tank to the house.

Either way, it's a good thing to think about re: the generator sizing. Especially if I ever get around to what I really want which is a burried propane tank, a whole-house backup generator, and an automatic transfer switch.
    I’d probably consider a manual interlock and big (8k or more) traditional smoke and noise genny for your well pump/220 needs, and then an HF 3500w inverter for everything else. My HF 3500 can handle pretty much everything in my house except for 220 stuff.
    #RESIST

Amazon Lightning Deal on Reliance Manual Transfer Switch

Reliance Controls Corporation 20216A Pro/Tran 6-Circuit Indoor Transfer Switch for Generators Up to 5,000 Running Watts

I have the 7500W version of this switch with a hard wired outdoor power inlet for the generator connection.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Reliance Controls Corporation 20216A Pro/Tran 6-Circuit Indoor Transfer Switch for Generators Up to 5,000 Running Watts

I have the 7500W version of this switch with a hard wired outdoor power inlet for the generator connection.
    Did you do the wiring yourself? Nice find!
    #RESIST

This is as good a time as any to remind everyone to go test fire their generators, if you haven't already, and if you've "skipped" on doing maintenance recently or don't remember the last time it was done, to go do it now. We're getting into the silly season, and the rumors are it's going to be a total clown show.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 07-20-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Did you do the wiring yourself? Nice find!
    Yes. Pretty straight forward as the the transfer switch is just a separate beaker panel that isolates the circuits that you want powered by the generator. The hardest part for me was having to figure out which circuits were which as they were not marked and then fixing all the F'ed up wiring, probably from the same douche who didn't mark the circuits. Another thing to install while you have the main off is a good voltage transient protector. I went with a SOLA model STV 100K-10S (linked to Newark which had the best prices and availability when I was shopping) which while a little pricey has serviceable components.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

So the SO left the generator 4k Champion outside covered but in the elements since last year in SC.

Appears to be rusty, corroded and won't turn over with new gas.

Is it DOA or worth fixing?

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    This is as good a time as any to remind everyone to go test fire their generators, if you haven't already, and if you've "skipped" on doing maintenance recently or don't remember the last time it was done, to go do it now. We're getting into the silly season, and the rumors are it's going to be a total clown show.
    Run it monthly. Under load.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    So the SO left the generator 4k Champion outside covered but in the elements since last year in SC.

With some many things, it comes down to how handy you are, how willing are you to take on a project, and how much time/money are you willing to throw at it?
    It could be as simple as a gummed up carb, to something far more interesting.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post

As someone who is in a similar boat (generator that won’t start, unsure why, in my case all seems fine so may just be bad gas), I arrived at buying new. I’m sure I could figure out how to fix the old one, or even find someone to do the work, but at the end of the day the commodity is time not money and the “cheapest” fix in terms of time is to just buy new.

The Consumer Reports best generator is at Costco for $1k so I’m planning on getting one in the next day or so.
    https://www.costco.com/.product.1239461.html

User Tag List