Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Been putting this topic on backburner, so missing the knowledge from prior few pages of posts... If one were starting out and wanted to get a generator, would this be a good place to start for a SFH? I saw prior posts mentioned generators that seemed to have much higher outputs. I imagine most of the usage would be from minor storms or possibly something like a hurricane, though we're on the eastern seaboard and not in FL, so the frequency would be much lower.

This would be a good start. 800 watt continuous would run a refrigerator or freezer. It won’t run a microwave. It would run a lot of light bulbs but not your AC. It’s light weight so it would work great for tailgating or camping. It’d be the j-frame of the inverter generator world. For reference, a standard household circuit is rated at 1500-2400 Watts

This checks some boxes, and for the price, is hard to pass up. Supplement with a 1600W inverter connected to your car, and maybe a
    battery bank, you could power quite a bit. You HVAC will need something more substantial. Surf Steven Harris’ site for good info on backup power.
    David S.

I know a guy who has several of these small inverter generators and uses them for when the power first goes out to keep his fridges and electronics up. He likes them because they use very little gas, are as easy to start and only require running a couple of regular extension cords. He told me he only breaks out the big genny when there is a long term outage and they need to run the water pump, A/C or heat but still use the inverters for the electronics. The little ones are also good for camping, etc. as they are light weight, quiet and don't require a lot of fuel.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Thread Resurrection

With the talk of Hurricane season, I decided to stop procrastinating and do some maintenance on the first generator I bought fifteen plus years ago that probably has not been run for two or three years. I had been adding Startron fuel stabilizer/ethanol treatment every six months so the gas didn't smell like varnish, but I siphoned out most of it anyway. Someone, maybe LL?' recommended PRI-G for old fuel, so I put some of that in the tank. Started on the first pull. Changed the oil over to synthetic and aired up the tires. Hoping this will be good mojo so we will not need it.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Good deal on a smaller inverter generator, Yamaha clone. $250, amazon prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5XXD1S/
    #RESIST

Steven Harris just posted on his FB feed that the Champion 2000W Inverter Generator is on sale at Home Depot for $400 ($200 off).

FWIW, this is Steven's favorite bargain brand inverter generator, and favorite behind Honda (and Yamaha, IIRC.)
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Steven Harris just posted on his FB feed that the Champion 2000W Inverter Generator is on sale at Home Depot for $400 ($200 off).

FWIW, this is Steven's favorite bargain brand inverter generator, and favorite behind Honda (and Yamaha, IIRC.)
    Pretty good deal, I’d jump on that if I needed a smaller inverter genny. No idea who Steven Harris is.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Pretty good deal, I’d jump on that if I needed a smaller inverter genny. No idea who Steven Harris is.
    Steven is an electricity nerd/SME in a particular “survivalist” community.
    David S.

Looking at a house tie in generator to run the ac, fridge and freezer, anything else is just a bonus. Looking at probably a 48 to 72 hour outage tops.

I would assume I need an electrician to wire up a new panel for these specific items.

I do have a NG line that I could tap into to run my unit.

Any recommendations on if I should get a generator that I haul out for the occasional outage or if the cost is worth getting a permanent unit with an auto switch? Pretty noob in this area so any insight is useful.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

User Tag List