Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

I would be worried about the HF gen lasting. I got lucky with my Kipor, but also had to take it apart to replace a fuel valve.

How far are you from DC?
    https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...343613232.html

Edit: I hate to use an analogy, but is a HF/Predator genny like a Hipoint and people are saying, man get the Glock for a few hundo more???

Generac is common down here (MD) . Outside of a used Honda, I might run down that path to supplement my Kipor.

But still not sure if Predator = Generac or not.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 10-16-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? Lots of general aviation people use a mix of mogas (91 octane LL) and avgas (100LL) in their aircraft.
    I'm not the person you're directing this to, but I did make the comments that this person was originally referencing.

I fill my personal and business vehicles at a non-ethanol station, but if I go out of the area I'm going to have to be using ethanol fuel. Adding non-ethanol gas to ethanol blended fuel in the tank should basically just decrease the ratio of ethanol in the tank. It's the same as filling at one pump that uses E15 and the next that uses E10 or E0. Flex-fuel vehicles which are rated to E85 are capable of running lesser blends of ethanol all the way back to straight gasoline. Even they don't require ethanol to run properly.

So I too would like to understand the logic in the comment.
    Last edited by Welder; 10-16-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    I would be worried about the HF gen lasting. I got lucky with my Kipor, but also had to take it apart to replace a fuel valve.

How far are you from DC?
    https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...343613232.html

Edit: I hate to use an analogy, but is a HF/Predator genny like a Hipoint and people are saying, man get the Glock for a few hundo more???

Generac is common down here (MD) . Outside of a used Honda, I might run down that path to supplement my Kipor.

I actually contacted them about that one - scam. See if you can spot it, they asked for “Amazon payment” to amazon.secure-checkouts.com
    #RESIST

Ah, that sucks but it did seem like a sweet deal!

I have a gi-normous LP tank burried in the yard. In the 200 or 300 gallon range. I wonder if it makes sense to get a tri-fuel generator and just install a tap off that thing? I have a few BBQ sized tanks and can always get more of the bigger ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? Lots of general aviation people use a mix of mogas (91 octane LL) and avgas (100LL) in their aircraft.
    From a quick google search:
    https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nol-Fuel-Myths
    The most likely time for fuel problems occurs when you first begin using ethanol-blended fuel. When E10 is added to a fuel system that has been using non-ethanol gasoline, ethanol, as a new solvent, will tend to dissolve and loosen deposits that are present in the tank and fuel system. Phase separation may occur, resulting in an approximately 50/50 ethanol and water layer at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Mogas is unleaded, no? I used to work the line at a small airport, drove a 100LL and Jet A truck. Everyone now and then guys wanted to buy 100LL for their tricked out cars and we were told the lead killed catalytic converters.

Further thread drift, we use a lot of acronyms in aviation. I guess they work since I still remember most of them.

Here is one for Avgas:
    80/87 is red, 100LL is blue, 100/130 is green, 115/145 is purple
    Rich Boys Get Pu**y = Red Blue Green Purple = 80 100 130 145

Actually (depending on the model), the HF ones are bit by bit clones of either Honda (“Chonda”) or Yamaha gennys. Also, Generac sells the very same generator that HF does (2000w). Not “same design,” actually made in the same factory with indentical stamps/engraving on the block and slightly different fascia on the outside.

Take a moment to Google “Harbor Freight inverter generator review.”
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-17-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    #RESIST

Ever since I drilled out my Champion’s main jet, it starts on the first pull on months old to year old ethanol gas.
    #RESIST

From a quick google search:
    https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nol-Fuel-Myths
    The most likely time for fuel problems occurs when you first begin using ethanol-blended fuel. When E10 is added to a fuel system that has been using non-ethanol gasoline, ethanol, as a new solvent, will tend to dissolve and loosen deposits that are present in the tank and fuel system. Phase separation may occur, resulting in an approximately 50/50 ethanol and water layer at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Mogas is unleaded, no? I used to work the line at a small airport, drove a 100LL and Jet A truck. Everyone now and then guys wanted to buy 100LL for their tricked out cars and we were told the lead killed catalytic converters.

Further thread drift, we use a lot of acronyms in aviation. I guess they work since I still remember most of them.

Here is one for Avgas:
    80/87 is red, 100LL is blue, 100/130 is green, 115/145 is purple
    Rich Boys Get Pu**y = Red Blue Green Purple = 80 100 130 145
    Thanks, rayrevolver, now I know where you're coming from on the different blends of gas. It may well be different with today's engines which are designed for no lead gas then using leaded, compared to older aircraft engines which are designed for leaded then using unleaded.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 10-16-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Brevity

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I currently have a traditional/“smoke and noise” Champion 3500w genny. Traditional/“smoke and noise” gennys run at full speed all of the time and can not adjust to power draw needs. I had problems with fuel starvation on this one, a brand new carburetor did not fix the problem. The EPA restrictions (for “air quality”) in conjunction with ethanol gas make this a very common problem with carbureted small engines. The solution is to drill out the main jet on the carb. Doing that made my previously deadlines and unusable Champion, a one pull to start on one year old ethanol gas generator. No shit.
    Follow up thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....pion-generator
    #RESIST

So help an uneducated brother out... Seems like this is the case, but I want to make sure.

I buy two 2000 watt generators and use the parallel cables. I have the full 4000 watt equivalent? Or two 3500s = one 7000?

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    So help an uneducated brother out... Seems like this is the case, but I want to make sure.

I buy two 2000 watt generators and use the parallel cables. I have the full 4000 watt equivalent? Or two 3500s = one 7000?
    Yes and yes. Don’t buy anything without running it past us first, just to make sure. If you buy two 3500s, I’m gonna be jelly.
    #RESIST

User Tag List