Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Well, I finally got my HF 3500w inverter genny. It is quiet. It’s on hour 2 of its 8 hour break in period and then I will change the oil.

I am very happy with this purchase so far.
    #RESIST

We went big back in 2013 when we moved to NH, and purchased a whole house standby 13KV General Electric generator.
    It was about 6 grand with the install, but is hooked up to my 375# propane tank and does an instant switch over.
    We were just without power from Monday morning [03:20] until Tuesday around 18:00.
    Ran like a charm, and actually this is the first time since the install that we had to rely upon the generator.
    It excersizes weekly, and barely used any propane over those two days.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Every time I go into Costco I check out the generators, especially the Generac whole house backup units they have. Price, power output...

The first thing they had us doing when we got to Florida for Hurricane Irma was making status checks on nursing homes, it had become a political issue (as in "Congressional investigation") due to deaths at one facility. Most of them were fine. I mean, if the charge nurse can tell you how many gallons of fuel the backups have, they're obviously aware of it.
    But one place... The manager came storming out berating us that it was a national disgrace that his facility had no power. The "POS" generator he rented after the storm hit was totally inadequate. Because he was trying to run a nursing home off a 1KW unit. He had evacuated his residents, and brought them back when his little camping generator was proven to provide lights... but apparently it never occurred to this jackwagon that A/C takes a little more juice than that. And it was Trump's fault. Or something. We made some calls and Florida Power & Light just happened to show up to restore power to the neighborhood while we were still there.
    So did the North Miami PD, wondering what all the fuss was. So he lit into them. I thought they were going to taser the guy, so we left.

Anyway.
    I have some links here for generators.
    I make no guaranty as to their accuracy, or for the currency (pun NOT intended, for once!) of the info; I would actually appreciate any feedback those with more experience on the subject can provide:
    Discussion: Home Generators Guide: Generators for Home Use (This article was updated after Hurricane Irma.)
    Discussion: Whole House Generator Buyer's Guide - How to Pick the Perfect Whole House Generator
    Price list: Whole house generator | Hardware | Compare Prices at Nextag
    Last edited by Drang; 11-04-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

$200 off

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PT Doc; 11-04-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
    $200 off
    Of...?
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Sorry, I tried to post a link to a generator on sale on Amazon, but it was going to my Prime Account. I deleted the link and asked LL if he could delete the comment.

It's a Champion 3800W dual fuel electric start for $499.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
    Sorry, I tried to post a link to a generator on sale on Amazon, but it was going to my Prime Account. I deleted the link and asked LL if he could delete the comment.

Amazon.com : Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator with Electric Start : Garden & Outdoor
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm not sure what you issue you were having, but the link you originally posted (I can see your post edit history) was fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VFDJGCE

ETA: FWIW, it's not possible to post a link to something in your "Prime Account". Account info on Amazon, and pretty much all other websites, are handled by cookies and not URL parameters.
    Thanks. On the original link, there was a section showing where I had purchased the item on this date. If I clicked there, it took me into my Prime account. Wasn't sure if other people would also, hence the caution. Sorry for the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm not sure what you issue you were having, but the link you originally posted (I can see your post edit history) was fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VFDJGCE

ETA: FWIW, it's not possible to post a link to something in your "Prime Account". Account info on Amazon, and pretty much all other websites, are handled by cookies and not URL parameters.
    Not an inverter, but a very, very good deal from a good company.
    #RESIST

User Tag List