Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Well, the fun continues. Any suggestions from the brain trust?
    Generac XT8000EFI

Will not start, with key or pull. Yes it has fuel, yes it has oil.

Tender shows solid red, which supposedly indicates still charging, but the battery meters right at 6 volt.

When I turn the key to “run” the light flashes. There is a beeping sound coming from the opposite side.

So far with brief googling there’s no clear answer on the beeping.

Attachment 94853

Attachment 94854

Attachment 94855
    I'd throw another battery in it. I've seen batteries with bad cells still show proper voltage but have no load capacity. Also you should be reading more than 6 volts on a fully charged battery.

ETA: 12V auto batteries typically run around 12.7 volts and a brand new fully charged one will be a little over 13 volts. You may just need to charge that one, but I think it's low or dead.

Jesus these batteries are the bane of my existence!

Pulled this thing out. I assume it’s the pump. This is where the beeping is coming from and I think it’s not so much beeping and the moving parts squeaking. Which could also be low power…
    Name:  CD6B43AA-525B-4418-BBE1-7195E71568F2.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  37.7 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Either is fine, I’d go Yamaha over Honda because of Honda’s crazy price premium.
    It seems like that pricing structure may have been flipped on it's head now?

Honda EU3000iS1AN Portable Inverter Generator - $2400 at Northern Tool

YAMAHA 3000 WATT INVERTER GENERATOR - $2470 at Dale's Super Store

One comparison (whihc actually includes the Yamaha SEB model which is a premium, hence the higher starting watts)
    https://generatorbible.com/compare/p-8837/p-9057/

more 1:1 has the only advantage of the Yamaha down to "on wheels"
    https://generatorbible.com/compare/p-8836/p-9057/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Well, the fun continues. Any suggestions from the brain trust?
    Generac XT8000EFI

Will not start, with key or pull. Yes it has fuel, yes it has oil.

Tender shows solid red, which supposedly indicates still charging, but the battery meters right at 6 volt.

When I turn the key to “run” the light flashes. There is a beeping sound coming from the opposite side.

So far with brief googling there’s no clear answer on the beeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I'd throw another battery in it. I've seen batteries with bad cells still show proper voltage but have no load capacity. Also you should be reading more than 6 volts on a fully charged battery.

ETA: 12V auto batteries typically run around 12.7 volts and a brand new fully charged one will be a little over 13 volts. You may just need to charge that one, but I think it's low or dead.
    Jesus these batteries are the bane of my existence!
    well I'm thinking I have the wrong charger/tender for this thing.

I bought a Battery Tender Junior 12v Charger & Maintainer, and I'm just realizing it says 750ma, which is 0.75A if I have my math right, and the battery I'm trying to charge/tend is 9aH. Not I can never get straight on Ah vs A and all that, and I see reviews saying this charger will work fine, but I'm becoming suspect.

Am I needlessly confusing myself? Maybe the battery is just shit?

Thanks for the tip! I did further research and figured out it's the governor that needs adjustment (my AVR didn't have any adjustments). Before it was outputting 62HZ. After adjustment it's 59.87 and my UPS "recognizes" the power.

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Non-inverter generators need to set to output the correct voltage (around 120v) at the correct frequency (60 hertz). The frequency is dependent on engine speed and is controlled by governor adjustments. Some have a screw/bolt that can be adjusted to vary the governor spring, some just have a tab that can be bent for adjustments
    Gringop

well I'm thinking I have the wrong charger/tender for this thing.

I bought a Battery Tender Junior 12v Charger & Maintainer, and I'm just realizing it says 750ma, which is 0.75A if I have my math right, and the battery I'm trying to charge/tend is 9aH. Not I can never get straight on Ah vs A and all that, and I see reviews saying this charger will work fine, but I'm becoming suspect.

Am I needlessly confusing myself? Maybe the battery is just shit?
    That would be an issue if you were trying to charge a flat battery, but it should be enough for maintaining a full charge. I use a little bitty motorcycle tender on my Miata battery.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Is that a 6 volt battery or a 12 volt? Will that charger work with a 6 volt?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I did further research and figured out it's the governor that needs adjustment (my AVR didn't have any adjustments). Before it was outputting 62HZ. After adjustment it's 59.87 and my UPS "recognizes" the power.
    Glad to be of some help. I went down the generator repair/adjustment rabbit hole after my 5500 Husky blew out some heating lamps for frozen faucets, a power strip and my Cisco home FW in the 2021 Ice-magedon in Austin. It was running slow at around 54 hertz. Now its working fine as a backup for my twin Honda Ei2000 inverter setup.

Now your next step in the "I am not a prepper, really" progression is Coleman white gas lanterns, Coleman converted to kerosene lanterns, older Deitz (better quality) kero lanterns and some indoor kero wick lanterns.

True Jedi level would be a functioning, non-collectible (high dollar) indoor Aladdin mantle lantern. I have not yet reached this state...not yet.

Gringop (someday, an Aladdin will be mine)
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393861723419

I've had REALLY good luck with this specific charger. As in it's been able to revive a couple of car batteries amazingly well. Also doesn't overcharge once it's complete, and adjusts current output as full charge is approached.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

@rob_s No manual pull start? WTF.

Ever considered solar? Also, replace that battery.
    #RESIST

User Tag List