Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    @rob_s
    You need to take the fuel bowl off the carburetor and see if there is any debris, gunk, corrosion, etc.
    I'm not doing that. I know how, but I have neither the time nor desire. If the Seafoam trick doesn't solve it, then it's time to pay someone else. I'm already aggravated enough every time I climb under this thing. Remember that it's mounted UNDER a RAM Promaster at the rear, meaning everything you do to it is done laying down on your side. Not my idea of fun.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I've got quite a few Battery Tender Juniors on my equipment. Given time, they'll recharge even a heavy equipment battery that isn't terminal. LOL, I did a pun. Anyway. I've only had one fail. Good stuff and with the price of batteries these days, they're worth the price of admission. I also have some of the Interstate versions of these Tenders; they look like cheap Chinese stuff but work fine. I hardwire the charging pigtails on anything I plan to use the Tender regularly on. That's all motorcycles and anything else I have to work to get at the battery....welders, forklifts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Change the oil per the manual (use full synthetic!) , start and run it once a month for about ten-fifteen mins. An easy fill oil funnel and also a magnetic dipstick helps grab those small shavings.

https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-EU220...9903613&sr=8-8
    Been running it every 2 months or so for 20 minutes under load w/ microwave and space heater. Changed out the oil once. I siphon the gas into my car, refill the tank, and add a dash of Sta-Bil. It runs like a Honda because it is a Honda.

With the failing power grid/rolling blackout talks plus shoddy electric coverage by Oncor in my new subdivision causing regular-ish outages I've been looking more into generators. I was looking the solar backup (ie. bluetti and ecoflow) route but for the money I don't think that's going to be worth it. By my logic the big thing I'm trying to keep powered is my fridge to not lose all my food. My subdivision is full electric with no natural gas lines ran to it. I'm good with using grills or whatever during outages instead of a stove/microwave so not looking for whole home. By my thinking during the summer I only need to power fridge, couple towers fans, and recharge phones or small electronics at most. During the winter I think it will be best to just try to find a better solution than electric heat if power goes out. Any thoughts on that line of thought? I'm in north texas so it isn't a full winter like when I was in the midwest anymore.

Using a watt meter my fridge is only pulling 300ish watts at startup and about 70 running watts, which both seem kind of low from my googling but what do I know. Fan's are only pulling around 30. I'm guessing an inverter is my best way to go and I want duel fuel for sure. What's my best options per cost out there? I'm guessing the 2-3000 watt areas should be my best bet of having excess if I need it if my line of thoughts are all correct.

Took two months from order to arrival. Now to fill.

Name:  EF1A34B4-30A7-4BDF-B11B-29A8C406CB97.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  021AD2E0-47CF-4F60-9ABB-24CF0E62867C.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  80.9 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Done some googling on it but I thought I’d ask here…

Any reliable way to tell if gas has gone “bad”?

I have several good sized cans that I’d really prefer to just burn off through the truck (don’t want to deal with legal disposal) but obviously don’t want a problem.

If it has Ethanol in the formulation, it can attract water, but if stored indoors in a vented container, it will probably be fine.

I wouldn't go more than two years on Ethanol free. If you pour it into an open container and it has a varnish like smell then it has gone bad.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Done some googling on it but I thought I’d ask here…

Any reliable way to tell if gas has gone “bad”?

I have several good sized cans that I’d really prefer to just burn off through the truck (don’t want to deal with legal disposal) but obviously don’t want a problem.

Ive used some gas that was several years old, in the chain saw with oil mixed in its been OK as far as i can tell. Dad had a 30 gal drum for Y2K that sat several years before he told me to get rid of it. It smelled a bit funky, varnishy. I mixed it with good gas and ran it in my Nissan pickup. It ran a bit funky, but ran. I put some carb/injector cleaner in the next good gas and cleared it up.

I kept gas for my work truck in drums, I never had sta-bil in it, it was OK for 2 or so years even if it was a little whiffy of varnish. Same thing, mixed with some fresh gas it ran OK. I think part of the bad thing is if it sits in a carb or injectors and dries out and get sludgy stuff built up. Doesnt seem to be much of an issue in the Stihl chain saw though. I think the oil mixed with the gas helps in regards to it drying out and getting crud built up.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I had been putting this off for longer than I’ll admit. Yesterday I did a full detail strip on the carb in my 7kW Champion dual fuel generator. Crappy ethanol gas, even with Stabil, clogged the jets and I couldn’t get it started on gasoline.

It took some creativity to make a tool to remove the stuck main jet, but otherwise the project went well.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

With Mr. Frack’s post above, to wit… Recently went to fire up my Honda 270X-powered genny and, long story short, it too has carb issues. Before I tear into this thing, it occurs to me that a better path may be to convert it to run on propane. This thing will be dedicated to run the house via transfer switch in the event of winter power outages that will last anywhere from 1/2 a day to five days. We already have propane tanks at the house that currently only supplies the cooktop.
    What do we think about the conversion kits for this sort of situation? Any issues with using propane in very cold weather?
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

User Tag List