Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

If you have the Woot App they have 2 Champions on sale. Or try the site directly: https://www.woot.com/

Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight
    $339.00

Champion Power Equipment 200953 4250-Watt Open Frame Inverter, Remote Start
    $499.99

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    If you have the Woot App they have 2 Champions on sale. Or try the site directly: https://www.woot.com/

Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight
    $339.00

Champion Power Equipment 200953 4250-Watt Open Frame Inverter, Remote Start
    $499.99
    https://tools.woot.com/plus/champion...?ref=w_gw_dd_4
    #RESIST

Seems as good a place as any to post this…

Looks like we didn’t exercise the camper generator enough, and now it’s surging when it runs. Ordered some new fuel filters in the hopes that it hasn’t gummed up the carb as well. Runs off the chassis gas tank, not the propane, so apparently that’s a thing.

Has me thinking about the portable generator I bought as well, and thinking I’m going to need to do a better job at tinkering with that as well. As I recall from awhile back you can’t even pull start the thing without a charged battery, which brings me to my question I maybe asked before…

Battery tender for a generator? Suggestions?

Pretty sure this is the generator
    https://www.generac.com/all-products...ries/xt8000efi
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Looks like we didn’t exercise the camper generator enough, and now it’s surging when it runs. Ordered some new fuel filters in the hopes that it hasn’t gummed up the carb as well. Runs off the chassis gas tank, not the propane, so apparently that’s a thing.

Has me thinking about the portable generator I bought as well, and thinking I’m going to need to do a better job at tinkering with that as well. As I recall from awhile back you can’t even pull start the thing without a charged battery, which brings me to my question I maybe asked before…

Edit, never mind, saw that it’s EFI, let me research.
    #RESIST

Ok, get that battery on a tender, replace it, or swap it out with a lawnmower/motorcycle battery/whatever. According to your manual, you need at least 10v to pull start. Also, drain all fuel, refill with fresh mid to high octane, preferably non ethanol gas and replace the fuel filter. Crack open the gas cap when starting. If you get it running, add in about a quarter bottle of SeaFoam. The number 1 killer of small engines aside from ethanol gas and EPA-fucked engines is not starting and running the engine a few minutes every month.

Man, EFI generators are bit more complicated!
    #RESIST

10% off HF generators:

Save 10% off any Predator Generator at Harbor Freight Tools with coupon code 29509871, valid from Friday 4/22/2022 through Thursday 4/28/2022. Redeem this offer in-store or online.

https://go.harborfreight.com/email/2022/04/coupon-10-off-any-predator-generator-product-thru-4-28/?utm_source=responsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaig n=$(campaign.name)&uid=d8b14da7dc0c0235eed506bab7d af3df175a89febafb0ef76b1bfe3cb50b9ec4&infy=6787424 5&bxid=67874245&mi_u=67874245&mi_ecmp=2022_04_23_w k1622_Free_Bucket_REM_Engaged&plcc=N

More on the generators in our life…

Spent some time under the campervan. Pretty sure I’m fucked. Sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in there while it surged away. Seemed to smooth out some at times, run linger without surging at times, but ultimately it’s still surging. Last ditch effort is to fill a gas can with fuel, add some sea foam, and run the thing right out of the can instead of off the chassis gas tank. Then I guess call someone. I can’t be sure of the size of the fuel hose so I’m ordering 1/4in, 3/16in, and 5/16in ID hose, with clamps. Also can’t find my calibers to just measure the spare fuel filter, so ordering some of those as well.

Appears that the “fix” may be an all new carb which (a) is likely somewhere north of $700 in parts and (b) may not be available.

On the per table generator side, I got this battery tender. After leaving the generator plugged in to its own charger for a couple of weeks, when I change it over to “run” the light blinks. See below for the cryptic meaning of that shit. So I hooked up the tender and that light turned solid red which is apparently good so we shall see. I like that the tender came with both alligator clips and hard-wired connections, all of which run back to a plug. Nice touch.

Wait, Whut?
    Name:  1958D2E9-221E-4B32-B318-E9C32241E18C.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  51.2 KB

Used the tender clamps for now.
    Name:  3AD830D6-D45D-4FD0-A5E0-BF15375B21C0.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  60.3 KB

Tender light showing red…
    Name:  E74C6622-E7E6-4AA9-A2D4-DA179B2BCC3E.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  59.1 KB

…which is apparently a good thing.
    Name:  F0610624-35FF-48A1-9713-8B4D2F2F63B2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  68.3 KB

If this all works out ok I’ll hard-wore these guys in to the battery.
    Name:  71867E35-A096-4D21-BCBD-9DD5EAB68A61.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  59.6 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

MSo I hooked up the tender and that light turned solid red which is apparently good so we shall see.
    checked in this morning after posting the above. Light on tender is still red, and when I turn the key I still get a flashing red fault light.

Tender has been hooked up for 22 hours, not sure how long I'd need to give it. Can't do much for awhile, and I probably should have a spare battery anyway, so I guess I'm going to order one up now so it's here by the weekend when I'll have time again to monkey with it.

@rob_s
    You need to take the fuel bowl off the carburetor and see if there is any debris, gunk, corrosion, etc.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

checked in this morning after posting the above. Light on tender is still red, and when I turn the key I still get a flashing red fault light.

Tender has been hooked up for 22 hours, not sure how long I'd need to give it. Can't do much for awhile, and I probably should have a spare battery anyway, so I guess I'm going to order one up now so it's here by the weekend when I'll have time again to monkey with it.

I have one of those tenders mentioned in your previous post, it has worked well with my motorcycle battery and with my house generator. They also make a widget that plugs into the hard wired plug that give battery voltage at rest and shows charging on the bike or anything with a charging system.

The little OEM battery on the gen didnt hold up. Since it was jammed in under the fuel tank and hard to get to I just left it in place and bought a lawn tractor battery and put it in a plastic battery case on the floor by the gen. Its vastly easier to charge or replace, and being much larger holds up between charges. The on board charger for the gen died some time ago while dad had it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List