Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The PF ICE (gas engine) generator thread

Was just reading this the other day and saw gas outages mentioned. Big storms here last night, and they are shutting gas off in some areas.

Storm damage: Vectren to shut down gas service to large areas

https://www.whio.com/news/breaking-n...ZvltnVApW94BP/

Sent from my Samsung SM-G892A

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'll reiterate what i've probably posted several times:
    1) figure out what are "necessities" and what are "luxuries". (hint, 95% of your stuff, is the latter.)
    2) you don't need as much generator as you think if you learn to plan what devices are running when.
    3) have multiple fuel sources is almost a must
    4) window A/C units are useful to have to cool a room or two if you really need to, in lieu of firing up central A/C.
    5) whole-house tie-in can be as easy or as complex as you want. There are LEGAL panel backfeed kits out there (ex: interlockkit.com)

I still continue to power my entire house on a 5500W generator with pull start, running on gasoline, in the infrequent times we've needed it. I use an interlock kit and power inlet mounted outside to backfeed power into the panel, and only turn on things as I need them, when I need them. We've run every appliance in the house (dishwasher, microwave, washer, dryer, lights, fridges, computers, TVs, etc.) during the one 2 week outage we had, just not all of them at once. We were in an appliance "groove" within a couple days. It wasn't hot enough where we desperately needed A/C running, but i have 3 small window units in storage to use. If I needed to, I'd plug one in, and run it on full bore for a while to chill that room down for sleeping, and that's probably it. I also have a basement to "retreat" to if needed for some oppressive heat respite.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 05-28-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I'll reiterate what i've probably posted several times:
    1) figure out what are "necessities" and what are "luxuries". (hint, 95% of your stuff, is the latter.)
    2) you don't need as much generator as you think if you learn to plan what devices are running when.
    3) have multiple fuel sources is almost a must
    4) window A/C units are useful to have to cool a room or two if you really need to, in lieu of firing up central A/C.
    5) whole-house tie-in can be as easy or as complex as you want. There are LEGAL panel backfeed kits out there (ex: interlockkit.com)

I still continue to power my entire house on a 5500W generator with pull start, running on gasoline, in the infrequent times we've needed it. I use an interlock kit and power inlet mounted outside to backfeed power into the panel, and only turn on things as I need them, when I need them. We've run every appliance in the house (dishwasher, microwave, washer, dryer, lights, fridges, computers, TVs, etc.) during the one 2 week outage we had, just not all of them at once. We were in an appliance "groove" within a couple days. It wasn't hot enough where we desperately needed A/C running, but i have 3 small window units in storage to use. If I needed to, I'd plug one in, and run it on full bore for a while to chill that room down for sleeping, and that's probably it. I also have a basement to "retreat" to if needed for some oppressive heat respite.
    Someone should make a writeup of all the collected wisdom in threads like this...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Am I seeing this right? If you want a Honda inverter it’s a 3000 or the next step up is a 7000?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Am I seeing this right? If you want a Honda inverter it’s a 3000 or the next step up is a 7000?
    Honda makes the EU1000 and EU2000 as well. 1000 watt and 2000 watt, respectively.

God, I wish that HF would hurry up and make a say, 6kw- 7kw inverter genny.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post
    Honda makes the EU1000 and EU2000 as well. 1000 watt and 2000 watt, respectively.
    Yes, right, but what I specifically meant was that there wasn't anything between 3 and 7.

What I'm kind of wondering is if I shouldn't get two 3000w for the same price as one 7. We have a well so for us no power also means no water, and our giant RO plant can eat a lot of juice all on it's own (two pumps plus the RO system). So having one generator at the well and one for the house might be better than a single 7000 with cords everywhere.

ETA:
    Hell, I'm thinking that two of the 3.5kw Predators might be the way to go. Half the price, and I get the whole "two is one" thing going on as well.

ETA2:
    or do I just go get Consumer Reports top pick for an old-faschioned generator that's 8kw for $1300
    Generac 7162 8000 Watt Electronic Fuel Injection Portable Generator-EPA/CARB, Orange, Gray, Black
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-03-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Yes, right, but what I specifically meant was that there wasn't anything between 3 and 7.

What I'm kind of wondering is if I shouldn't get two 3000w for the same price as one 7. We have a well so for us no power also means no water, and our giant RO plant can eat a lot of juice all on it's own (two pumps plus the RO system). So having one generator at the well and one for the house might be better than a single 7000 with cords everywhere.

ETA:
    Hell, I'm thinking that two of the 3.5kw Predators might be the way to go. Half the price, and I get the whole "two is one" thing going on as well.
    I've got the data tucked away somewhere on what you need to run two of the HF3500s in parallel, it's just a cable connecting the two. Remind me if I don't provide it soon.
    #RESIST

I had a small Honda clone ~2k watts that can easily run 1 refrigerator when we lost power.
    A refrigerator only needs to run for an hour or two per day to keep things cold, particularly if full and you don't open it often. You could also accomplish that by running your car with an inverter.
    David S.

ETA:
    FWIW, when our first transfer switch was installed, the well pump required 220/30 amp which the generators under 6.5K AFAIK do not have.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List