Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Beretta ARX-100

Hammertime

RFI: Beretta ARX-100

I have a buddy selling one. Seems like a good deal, but I know nothing about them. Given the Beretta enthusiasm on this forum can anyone tell me the good and bad in regards to this rifle for the enthusiast gun owner who doesn’t use them professionally?

Pros:
    Reasonably priced, relatively light, Ok accuracy, modular for barrel swaps and ejection, reliable

Cons:
    Proprietary and hard to source parts, funky ergonomics if you are accustomed to the AR, a bit chunky around the waist although this is mitigated by the folding stock.

My bottom line is that it suffers from SCAR Syndrome - it does not bring enough to the table to be a definitive AR replacement. It is most useful as an SBR where the folding stock can make it very, very short.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Pros:
    Reasonably priced, relatively light, Ok accuracy, modular for barrel swaps and ejection, reliable

Cons:
    Proprietary and hard to source parts, funky ergonomics if you are accustomed to the AR, a bit chunky around the waist although this is mitigated by the folding stock.

My bottom line is that it suffers from SCAR Syndrome - it does not bring enough to the table to be a definitive AR replacement. It is most useful as an SBR where the folding stock can make it very, very short.
    I have a SCAR 16 that I never use and sort of want to get rid of. It sounds like the ARX, while a quality and less expensive product, would just sit in the safe similarly.

Thank you for the summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I have a SCAR 16 that I never use and sort of want to get rid of. It sounds like the ARX, while a quality and less expensive product, would just sit in the safe similarly.

Thank you for the summary.
    All of these AR variants that became popular around a decade ago after the Masada was announced suffer from the same problem - they don’t bring enough to the table as 16” rifles to make the investment worth it to most people. Thus, the aftermarket industry is slow to respond and parts become relatively scarce and expensive; the vicious cycle continues.

The only place where these rifles make sense is as SBR/PDW configurations. Check out my reviews of SCAR CQC and MCX and notice that you can get down to MP5N sizes with the folding stock - pretty cool for camping and traveling.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-SCARs-Part-1
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....SIG-MCX-review

However, most of these platforms cannot be purchased in their SBR form. You must buy a $1300+ rifle, then a barrel assembly that often costs more than $500. Before you know it, you have $2000+ invested in just the SBR hardware without including the stamp. Now, compare this to a BCM SBR build that is around $1100 after the stamp and you can see why many don’t feel that the juice is worth the squeeze.

So, I say get the ARX only if you have need and financial ability to convert it to an SBR.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-15-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Hammertime
    All of these AR variants that became popular around a decade ago after the Masada was announced suffer from the same problem - they don’t bring enough to the table as 16” rifles to make the investment worth it to most people. Thus, the aftermarket industry is slow to respond and parts become relatively scarce and expensive; the vicious cycle continues.

The only place where these rifles make sense is as SBR/PDW configurations.

However, most of these platforms cannot be purchased in their SBR form. You must buy a $1300+ rifle, then a barrel assembly that often costs more than $500. Before you know it, you have $2000+ invested in just the SBR hardware without including the stamp. Now, compare this to a BCM SBR build that is around $1100 after the stamp and you can see why many don’t feel that the juice is worth the squeeze.

So, I say get the ARX only if you have need and financial ability to convert it to an SBR.
    That is an amazing summary of the issues involved with these “improved” 5.56 rifle variants.

It begs the question: if you would choose one to SBR, would it be the ARX or SCAR?

I contemplated a stamp for the SCAR but the limited availability and price of the short barrel assembly had me go the BCM 11.5” route instead.

I still lean toward the SCAR probably because I’m heavily invested in the platform across 5.56 and .308 calibers. I also think the SCAR platform is a bit more robust in terms of reliability, accuracy, and aftermarket support. I’m not saying there is a huge difference or that the ARX is subpar. The SCAR just has a bit of an edge; certainly not a uniform opinion across owners of both platforms.

Having said that, the ARX would be my first choice if I didn’t have a bunch of SCARs or was on a tighter budget. I would also recommend the ARX to anyone tightly invested in the 300blk SBR idea.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-15-2017 at 05:31 PM.

I would also recommend the ARX to anyone tightly invested in the 300blk SBR idea.
    Why? My understanding is the other calibers/barrels, are not ready/out for these yet. ARX 160 in 22, and 100 in 5.56.
    I wanted one of these, due to the ambidextrous capabilities, but the limited parts and costs being three times the basic AR's to get me into the game, it made no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Why? My understanding is the other calibers/barrels, are not ready/out for these yet. ARX 160 in 22, and 100 in 5.56.
    I wanted one of these, due to the ambidextrous capabilities, but the limited parts and costs being three times the basic AR's to get me into the game, it made no sense.
    Read posts 2 and 4. I'm not recommending the ARX100 and I clearly stated that they do not bring enough to the table over a quality AR based on...wait for it...wait for it...waaait foor iitt - cost and parts availability. You see, brilliant minds think alike.

The post that you quoted was my response to a limited question pertaining to choosing between these 2 specific rifles - the SCAR vs. ARX100. I mentioned 300blk because that will someday be a factory option for the ARX for those who like the caliber; the SCAR, not so much.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-15-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Read posts 2 and 4. I'm not recommending the ARX100 and I clearly stated that they do not bring enough to the table over a quality AR based on...wait for it...wait for it...waaait foor iitt - cost and parts availability. You see, brilliant minds think alike.

The post that you quoted was my response to a limited question pertaining to choosing between these 2 specific rifles - the SCAR vs. ARX100. I mentioned 300blk because that will someday be a factory option for the ARX for those who like the caliber; the SCAR, not so much.

That is why I wrote WHY. Based on some of Beretta's history, of things that were supposed to be made, and never happened, WHY seems most appropriate. Buying one on the expectation that 300blk will come out for them, is counting your chickens before they hatched.

I completely disagree with the comments above.
    First this is the cleanest running semi auto rifle I have ever used. MAC took his to 5000 rounds and never cleaned it. Haven’t heard if he kept shooting it or ever cleaned his. Mrgunsgear also got his hands on one and his tune changed dramatically. MAC is also quite enamored with it. Even Yeager respected it when he shot Mrgunsgear’s. Yeah you-tubers, but whatever.

Next is take down it is tool-less and effortless. I can quickly take it completely down in mere seconds.
    Very easy to clean and not much to clean.
    It was built first and foremost for military application so it has been thoroughly tested.
    It is very light.
    Recoil is cream puff. The first time I shot I marveled at the light recoil pulse. It’s not a 22 but man is the recoil very light.
    Last is the caliber swaps. They are coming. We would have already seen them if Beretta didn’t have to flee to a free state. They are supposed to have production back to full and running 2Q of 2018.

Mine has been converted to a sbr with the 10” factory offered 556 barrel. On my short barreled Beretta Box, 762X39, 545X39, 6.8spc, and 300blk are all listed. 300blk will be the first caliber offered but I have no interest. I’m interested in 6.8 and the AK conversions, with the AK conversions being my main interests. I’m not an AR guy like most. I do not like DI and never have. I’ve always run pistons and will continue to do so. I’ve never even owned a built AR through all these years, preferring the AK. I’ve always had some sort of 556 piston. I sold my Sig 556 to acquire the ARX and not a single regret. The damn thing is light, has extremely low recoil, folds, and disassembles in seconds without tools. I run a heavier optic (Elian Specter DR) so light weight was priority #1. I do own an AR lower but it’s been sitting there for years in the safe, for legislation purposes only. Very pleased with the platform, followed it from day 1 and it has exceeded my lofty expectations. The first time I saw take down, and reassembly I knew I’d buy, especially since it was much cheaper than a Scar16. I’ve got a can for it, and intend to buy a second one early next year that I will use for caliber conversions. It’s my main rifle after I tested it thoroughly and if it was bugout time or shtf it would be in my hands. You can run the hell of it for thousands of rounds before you’d have to think about cleaning it. Beretta has also made a 308 variant, and a dmr version of that. Little interest in that as of today but you never know. Once I shoot 308 I move to the bolt.

I’d recommend spending some time with it, shoot it, break it down. Solid platform. Various military units have it in service in 556 and 762X39 already. Price has come down too since new to market. When I saw it go under 1k I knew I would buy a dupe at some point.
    I’ve never understood the hate for the platform. It’s another choice on the marketplace. But people have been whining since the get go. First saying it would never come to market, it did. Then crying about MOA when it’s not a dmr or sniper rifle. It’s a 2 MOA rifle and I never understood the crying over that as it was never intended for sniper duty, MOA is on par with your Colt. Then saying the barrels would never come, then they released the 556 sb for it. Then politics and legislation occurred forcing a whole scale production move for the company. I like it enough to buy a second one even if the ak variants do not come. Shooting sight has an excellent trigger for it and other than that it doesn’t need anything. My only complaint is lack of QD mounts but that’s a minor thing to me. Outside of my Blaser, my favorite long gun I have ever purchased. It too, does caliber conversions. Finally the ability to change charging and ejection on the fly is excellent. Quite unique on the extractors as the bolt has two. Due to the above mentioned factors, I consider it one of the most reliable and resilient platforms available right now. The AR crowd will continue to hate on it, due to price, looks, whatever. I’m not bothered by it as I typically decide things for myself instead of following the herd. The gen 3 rifle platforms or whatever they are called, Scar, ARX, etc, have some evolutionary things built into them that make them superior. The ARX will never have the aftermarket support of the AR but all it needed was a trigger, a light, and glass. But honestly that’s like saying other pistol platforms don’t have the aftermarket support that Glock does. True, but I’m not going to limit myself to a Glock only due to that reason. The AR can’t change ejection, or charging, can’t be broken down as quickly as the ARX, nor can it switch from 16” to 10” barrels on the fly which can be done in about the time it takes you to disassemble the Glock. AR’s also don’t recoil as light nor run as clean. And you would have to spend ARX money to get one as light. When I took mine to the engravers after I got my stamp the entire room about crapped their pants as it took me about 10 seconds to remove the 16” barrel and insert the 10” barrel. They asked I do it again and each time “DAYUM!” is all I heard. I then broke the entire rifle down and put it back together. They had not seen one before. It’ll never take down the AR. nothing will, but I sure love mine. Beretta did an excellent job with it and fully delivered. Love everything about it.

Edit: A good write up. Take notice of MOA with different loadings.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ber...0-closer-look/
    Last edited by Bodhi; 10-16-2017 at 02:23 PM.

User Tag List