Thread: Value of 94 built in 1954

Value of 94 built in 1954

Lgs has a winchester 94 in 30/30. It was built in 54. Rifle is in excellent condition. Has a side mounted scope. Glass is shitty bushnell. But the rifle looks like it has seen little action. I am wondering what the value of one in exc. condition should be. Or what you guys would pay. It is carbine mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 55. It was appraised at my LGS for $500. Condition was considered "good". My LGS told me the only way he ever considers something in excellent condition is if its in original box and never been fired FWIW. I have no idea if thats the std used by every one.

I'm no Winchester expert, but the gun had some intrinsic value as a "Pre-64" regardless of its condition. Regrettably, it lost most of that intrinsic value if extra holes were drilled into the receiver to accommodate that scope mount.

Irrespective of any extra holes, if I was simply interested in a "shooter grade" Mod 94, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat ..... just don't pay too much more than the going rate for a used Post-64 carbine in similar condition is selling for in your neck of the woods. Around here, that would be between $375 and $500.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-14-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I'm no Winchester expert, but the gun had some intrinsic value as a "Pre-64" regardless of its condition. Regrettably, it lost most of that intrinsic value if extra holes were drilled into the receiver to accommodate that scope mount.

Irrespective of any extra holes, if I was simply interested in a "shooter grade" Mod 94, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat ..... just don't pay too much more than the going rate for a used Post-64 carbine in similar condition is selling for in your neck of the woods. Around here, that would be between $375 and $500.

It depends on which scope mount was used, and if the gun had factory receiver sight mounting holes. Not positive, but I believe 1954s had factory receiver sight mounting holes. if so, the "post 64" mount can be used with factory holes, if a front mounting screw was fabricated to work with the mount*. Ive had it done a couple times. The post 64 mount has one larger mounting hole in the front end of the mount, and two small ones at the rear. The pre-64 mounts had 4 evenly spaced holes along the mount, and had to have holes drilled and tapped into the side of the receiver to work, which makes a substantial hit in value. They can be filled/welded shut, and refinished if one wants a project, but it still affects the value. if the side mount doesnt bother you, then its not as much of a problem, and you can get a nice older gun for a better price.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    I've got a 55. It was appraised at my LGS for $500. Condition was considered "good". My LGS told me the only way he ever considers something in excellent condition is if its in original box and never been fired FWIW. I have no idea if thats the std used by every one.
    Regarding condition and box etc, I dont agree at all with the dealers assessment. Its extremely rare to have a box with a gun thats from the 1920s or 30s, or even the 50s or 60s, or be unfired. In most peoples value assessment, it doesnt figure in unless the box happens to be present, but isnt normally part of the value assessment. I think the dealer was valuing way low on older guns and using criteria not really applicable to most older guns. I think your 55 is worth quite a lot more than his evaluation. If its a takedown, it makes it more desirable to most people. Not sure if takedown or solid frame 55s are more common or valuable. id certainly find out, and id never use that dealer for getting gun values again.

* The pre-64 model 94s had a small diameter lever pin plug screw on the front left side of the receiver. Post 64 guns had a larger diameter screw. The post 64 mounts have a screw correct for the post 64 guns included for the mount, I had a gunsmith duplicate the screw, but with thread diameter correct for the pre-64 guns. Fairly simple job, and allows older guns to be used with a scope. The post-64 mount probably should be used as a guide for older guns that are going to be drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, as that will put the screw holes in factory location, and allow use of the scope mount some day in the future if needed. If having a screw made, I now ask for two to have a spare. The first one I had done, I lost the screw later after removing the mount and selling the gun, then needed another one later. Most of the cost is time for setup. Making two isnt that much more expensive than one.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-14-2017 at 11:47 AM.

The rifle has what appears to be a mount that uses the two screws at the rear of the receiver and one at the front. The mount looks very well done and not a hackjob. The glass is. For the year the gun is what I would consider amazing condition. The bluing is still very good and the wood is also almost mark free. They want 600$ and apparently no wiggle room. I do not need it. But made me wonder what going prices were. It is definitely in some of the best shape I have seen a pre 64 model 94.

I have a old 336 marlin in my safe. Has the aperture sights to. It is a hand me down to my dad. Who never shoots and never will. I am trying to get him to just sell the thing to me. I think I prefer the marlin. But the 94
    Has a different kind of cool and you know JMB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List