Thread: Any problems with OEM 10-round Mags in the Glock 23?

Any problems with OEM 10-round Mags in the Glock 23?

There have been several threads referencing problems when the Glock-19 (9mm) is serviced by OEM 10 round factory magazines.

I live in a restricted magazine state, and have an opportunity to buy a couple of Glock 23s (.40 S&W) with the legislated reduced capacity OEM mags.

Am I going to have problems with the Glock 23 like those reported for the G-19?

I had some ban mags from a time when they were normal, (think Clinton AWB) and I never had any trouble with any of mine. But, that is a sample of 12 magazines that were 10 rounders.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Given that my Glock 23 had problems with regular 13rd magazines, I can't really recommend the pistol to anyone... and definitely wouldn't recommend the use of 10rd mags. Obviously based only on my sample size of one, but it was far and away the worst handgun I've ever owned. YMMV
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-16-2017 at 08:29 AM.

I don't shoot mine much, but have never had any problems with 180 gr. loads and my 5 10 round G23 mags. I remember something about the 165 gr. loads and excessive slide velocity causing problems in that the mag spring wasn't strong enough to push the next round up fast enough every time.

I know that some highly experienced folks have had trouble with reduced capacity Glock mags. But I haven't experienced any notable problems with 10 round mags in my Glock 17, 19, 23, 26 and 34. Perhaps I've been lucky. It's also possible I just haven't shot them enough, however I have run my 9mm Glocks in several fairly high round count classes without any issues. If it makes any difference, all of my Glocks are 3rd Gen. Good luck.

Site Supporter
    I had a G23 Gen 2 from the '90s that had three "Bill Clinton" ten round OEM magazines. I put about 500 rounds through it with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I don't shoot mine much, but have never had any problems with 180 gr. loads and my 5 10 round G23 mags. I remember something about the 165 gr. loads and excessive slide velocity causing problems in that the mag spring wasn't strong enough to push the next round up fast enough every time.
    My pistol (gen 4) choked on 180gr Federal HST, which is why I divested myself of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    My pistol (gen 4) choked on 180gr Federal HST, which is why I divested myself of it.
    Mines early Gen 3, so maybe that makes a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Mines early Gen 3, so maybe that makes a difference?
    I also ran it with a weapon light mounted - a known weak point for the .40 caliber Glocks. I have not had this issue with my Gen 4 glock 35, which has gone ~1600 rounds with a WML attached and only 1 malfunction (with older mags). The 23 malf'd repeatedly with the newest magazines and quality carry ammo.

User Tag List