Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 238: 666 Drill

I bet there is a 2.60 out there from someone on the forum.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hard to follow a performance by GJM, but wanted to shoot it concealed at lunchtime. Result: 5.79, +1 for a “C” at about 8 o’clock, just outside the “0” on an IDPA target. Had 5 rounds left of Winchester 147 fmj, so did the “Wizard”; overtime at 7 yard head shot @2.67

Gen5 G19, Ameriglo orange front, Safariland ALS holster, concealed by windbreaker jacket.
    Notes: going through work on concealment draw for confidence, and release slide by slide stop for speed.
    I will probably do this multiple times, as it covers a good deal.

All the low hanging fruit in this drill is draw and reload, since the difference in splits is hardly enough to matter, and carries accuracy penalty time risk.

Glock 19 gen 4, Warren rear, hd front, scd, Vickers slide release
    Concealed under a fleece
    Mastermind Tactics Lumen AIWB
    Uspsa metric
    Shot it 3r3

4.20 clean 1.49, .24, .20, 1.80, .24, .23 - 6A's

Since my first official run was clean and a passing run i figured I'd burn a few runs trying to really push and see what i could do. Next run was a 4.03 raw but with 2 C's bringing it to 6.03. Then i had a horrible run where my hand skipped off the cover garment and smashed my chin. I was seeing stars a but managed to still draw the gun only to f up the reload. I hate the gen 4 release and this was why. I didn't shift my grip enough so the mag didn't drop, resulting in a 3.54 reload. At that point i knew it was over so i finished sho. Raw was 7.3 but with 2 C's making it a 9.3. Then i had a 4.13 clean. Following were a 3.97 with 2 c's and a final run of 3.79 with a c. At this point i was on the ragged edge of my ability to move at this speed and felt i was slipping with my fundamentals so i stopped here. It is fun to shoot this close and seeing what you can do when the gas is floored.

Name:  20171016_141426.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  20171016_141628.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  20171016_142122.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  20171016_142659.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  20171016_142956.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  66.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Equipment used: CZ P10C, concealed under a polo shirt in a Crossbreed SnapSlide at 4 o'clock. Rangemaster 2017Q target (8" inner ring)
    Raw time : Ran 4 times 5.80, 5.38, 5.11, 4.22
    Penalties : 1 (last run +1 sec)
    Anything you noticed: Second range outing for CZ P10 and first time from holster. Index is jacked so shooting low and left, but grouping OK and easy recoil control. Pushing harder with each run, hence 1 sec penalty on the last one. Expecting to level out around 4.5 after some dry fire work (I hope). Really digging the trigger and grip on this thing. Hope it's not recalled like the last gun I invested a bunch of time and money in.
    Name:  IMG_20171016_193203529.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  38.8 KB

Shot this three times with the 34 today. Did not shoot it cold. This is the first time I’ve worked live fire with the 34 from concealment.

Run 1
    Glock 34 Gen 4
    Striker control device, Vogel Sights, 13# recoil spring
    Keepers AIWB holster
    Raven Copia mag pouch
    Concealed under t-shirt
    USPSA target
    +1 just out left
    6.30 total

Didn’t get a clean grip out of the holster and never really recovered.

Run 2
    5.09 clean
    Fumbled the reload

4.41 clean
    Good run. Tracked the sights and reload was clean.

Need to work draws as they were pretty slow. I added a thicker wedge today and the grip was pressed a lot tighter to me than I’m used to. I think I’m going to like this as it keeps pistol locked in place so draws should be more consistent in the long run.

Shot it once with the 19.4 just because. All stock except for Defoor rear sight and Dawson tritium front.
    +1 high and slightly left
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I was not going to post this because I am still working on equipping myself properly with a mag carrier, but during PFestivus I did comment on people not participating in the DOTW. I think these threads are some of the most important portions of Pistol Forum.

M9 Beretta- 6/6 total time of 9.38, including fishing a magazine out of my pocket for 5.13 seconds
    PX4 Storm- 6/6 total time of 8.00, including 4.77 seconds on my reload.

I really liked the TDA from these Berettas, but will use my training journal for those comments.

Name:  IMG_2234.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  75.6 KB
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I got to the range for a short session this afternoon, and was mostly working 25 yards with the Q5 and iron sights — groups to the head, draws to the head, and pairs to the lower A zone. I then grabbed my Q5 with the DP Pro, shot some steel, draws to the head at 25, and then got the bright idea I would try the 6/6/6 drill. I figured I would be slow after all the 25 yard shooting, but definitely accurate. My first run surprised me, at 2.96 raw, but unfortunately with two C hits. The times were (.81, .18, 1.33, .23, .21, .20) so I was wrong on the speed and accuracy prediction. Notice the piss poor lack of follow through on the sixth shot. Here is the run:

After that, it took me some time to sort out the difference shooting the red dot on that particular drill. With iron sights, and the close target, I was getting a lot of steering information from the slide. With the red dot, I needed to rely on just the dot, and that took different focus than the slide.

Once I settled down, I shot clean runs of 3.55, 3.33 and 3.17. This gave me the idea I need to do more short distance dot shooting, to burn in the close target technique, since so much of my dot practice is on hard targets.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    i had a horrible run where my hand skipped off the cover garment and smashed my chin. I was seeing stars
    There was an entry in one of the caption contests that applies here.

[img]OSH by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Ran this twice today.
    Gen 4 Glock 17, Safariland ALS, no concealment
    I worked on dry reloads a couple mornings this week and it’s paying off. Reloads still weren’t blazing, but were under 2 sec live, which is an improvement for me. Draws were in the 1.4’s. Again, not blazing, but not super slow.

Name:  7DB8D340-9AB2-4221-8AE6-1F2E39C70F0C.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  80.5 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List