Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 238: 666 Drill

Week 238: 666 Drill

Week 238: 666 Drill

Results may be posted until November 13th, 2017.

Range: 6 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric or IDPA
    Start Position: Facing downrange, hands at sides
    Rounds Fired: 6

Start facing downrange with holstered handgun loaded with 1-5 rounds (shooter's choice.) At the start signal, draw and shoot six rounds (the shooter must perform a slidelock reload and resume firing to complete the required six shots.)

Scoring: Your score is your time, plus 1 second for each C/-1 zone hit, plus 3 seconds for each D/-3 zone hit, and plus 5 seconds for each miss. A/-0 zone hits have no penalty. The goal is to shoot the drill clean and under 6 seconds.

Here is Larry Vickers shooting the 666 drill (starts at 1:35):

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any), USPSA Metric or IDPA target
    Raw time
    Penalties
    Total score
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Is an 8" paper plate a good alternative for this drill?
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Sounds good to me!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment: Gen5 G19 w/Ameriglo night sights(orange front), “FBI” mag catch, reload a 17 mag. Safariland ALS holster(“FBI” low cut)
    I elected to have a coworker load mags “blind”. So, two rounds, then four after the reload.
    Unconcealed on IDPA target, no highlight(paper plate, etc.)
    Results: 5.97 seconds, clean.
    Notes: this is a stock trigger, and one of the best I’ve worked in a long time. I had been teaching basics, and defaulted to an overhand slide release on the reload. Almost certainly faster with a slide stop release, but I’ll take this!
    Ammo: 147 gr. Winchester fmj.
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 10-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.

[b]Equipment used: G19-5, Dark Star Gear AIWB holster, concealed under a button front shirt, IDPA target
    Raw time I ran this four times:
    Somewhere around 6s clean (timer malfunctioned), 5.69s (-1), 5.2s clean, 5.16s clean, 5.19s clean
    Penalties the previously mentioned -1 on the second string
    Anything you noticed I shot this with a coworker who was using a G26-4 he had stippled. We loaded each other’s magazines so we wouldn’t know how many rounds were in each. I consistently finished almost a second ahead of him each time. I think that was due to his large hands slowing down his reloads with the tiny glock. I didn’t notice any issues shooting this besides my normal slow draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Name:  IMG_7021.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  77.0 KB

Equipment used:
    Sig SP2022 9mm with Trijicon HD sights (orange front)
    Winchester 115gr FMJ
    JRC CDA-1 (I think?) AIWB holster with Mastermind Tactics wedge
    JMCK single AIWB mag pouch

Target: IDPA

Concealment: short sleeve button down shirt, buttoned

Raw time: used a phone app for a par timer, totally screwed up the reload, so I have no idea. Maybe 8 seconds? 9?

Penalties: 1 (I drew boxes around the hits on the target for this drill)

Total score: 9? 10?

What I noticed: So what happened on this one was I screwed up the reload. I neglected to get a proper firing grip coming out of the holster, which not only made me fling a bullet into the -1 area but also put my thumb over the Sig's slide release. So even though I knew, 100%, that I would fire three rounds and reload, I fired three and surprise! The slide wasn't locked back. My brain went "Huh?oh crap that's rightRELOADNOW!" Thus, the resulting failing time and penalty.

Equipment used: G17 MOS w/DPP USPSA gear, USPSA target
    Raw time : 5.07 (1.42 draw, 2.43 reload)
    Penalties : Clean
    Total score : 5.07
    Anything you noticed: Well I noticed my time wasn't great, largely to to lack of work on slide lock reloads lately. There are plenty of people who do a FAST drill faster than that, so I tried the drill a number of more times coming up with a best of 4.61. I then ran the FAST in a time of 5.65. The slide lock reloads are definitely slower with my gamer gun than my EDC. My EDC G19 has a Spaulding Bullets Forward slide release which works much better being left handed but is not legal in Carry Optics.

My buddy Chris from Glock texted me Friday and said to do the DOW. I mentioned it to Gabe, and he said it didn’t happen without video, so the stars aligned to shoot it this afternoon, with my wife to video. Interesting how video ups the pressure.

Out of the gate, I was at 3.53 clean, and worked it down to 3.34. I really wanted to break 3 flat, and it took a few attempts pushing to do that clean. Here was my best, 2.97 (.77, .19, 1.35, .22, .24, .20). Walther Q5 with iron sights out of my Production rig.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

^^^^Impressive^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My buddy Chris from Glock texted me Friday and said to do the DOW. I mentioned it to Gabe, and he said it didn’t happen without video, so the stars aligned to shoot it this afternoon, with my wife to video. Interesting how video ups the pressure.

Out of the gate, I was at 3.53 clean, and worked it down to 3.34. I really wanted to break 3 flat, and it took a few attempts pushing to do that clean. Here was my best, 2.97 (.77, .19, 1.35, .22, .24, .20). Walther Q5 with iron sights out of my Production rig.

Thank you for the video. I must have watched 20 times studying your draw and reload. Great stuff and something I aspire too.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

User Tag List