Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: That's a Rattlesnake!

Bird dogs change your perspective on rattlers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    True that. A rattlesnake vaccine is available to give to bird dogs as a preventative. It does not eliminate a visit to the vet after a bite, but it does give you a little extra time to get to the vet, which is often necessary when somewhere out in the country hunting birds. The efficacy of the rattlesnake shot has been questioned, but I feel better giving my dog the booster every year. We are in snake country every bird season, and I at least feel better that the shot has been given, in the hopes that it actually works.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 10-16-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    True that. A rattlesnake vaccine is available to give to bird dogs as a preventative. It does not eliminate a visit to the vet after a bite, but it does give you a little extra time to get to the vet, which is often necessary when somewhere out in the country hunting birds. The efficacy of the rattlesnake shot has been questioned, but I feel better giving my dog the booster every year. We are in snake country every bird season, and I at least feel better that the shot has been given, in the hopes that it actually works.
    My understanding was that the vaccine was effective on Western Diamondback but not Mohave rattlers, and that efficacy was not fully vetted.

We go the layered approach. Try to avoid the snakiest months, she is snake trained by a great trainer, we keep our heads on a swivel, try to keep her out of thick cover, and carry a J with shot in our pocket.

My understanding was that the vaccine was effective on Western Diamondback but not Mohave rattlers, and that efficacy was not fully vetted.

We go the layered approach. Try to avoid the snakiest months, she is snake trained by a great trainer, we keep our heads on a swivel, try to keep her out of thick cover, and carry a J with shot in our pocket.
    I have been told that the vaccine was somewhat effective by my vet for WD; at least it's better than nothing. Its effectiveness is reportedly best about six months after giving the vaccine. So, for dove season in Texas, we get our dog vaccinated in March/April. The vaccine doesn't do any good if administered the weekend before a hunt. I don't think we have Mohave rattlers in the area of West Texas where my family ranches. If we do, I don't think I have seen one. WDs are all over the place, however. Quail season usually opens the day of, or very close to, the opening of deer season in my part of Texas. So, we usually let the deer hunters have the first couple of weeks of November before we start hunting quail in order to be polite. No one wants to be in a deer stand on an adjacent property with guys tromping around with dogs hunting quail a couple hundred yards away. By the time we start quail hunting, we usually don't have to worry about rattlers at that time. It's too cold.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    If you’re a fan of old sci-fi and sci-fi horror films (I am, duh), this photographic technique was commonly used in old stop motion animation film. It was called a, “perspective shot.” It makes things look ridiculously large, in terms of scale.

The bulletin boards and truck stops in the south are filled with snap shots and photos of GIANT snakes, catfish, turtles and even squirrels.
    AKA "Forced Perspective". The LOTR movies used that a whole lot as well.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Having a dog bit in the face in your yard does also, not to mention one in the house, a couple under the front step that were found in the dark when I stepped on the porch step, several more in the yard. I kill rattlesnakes anywhere I live or recreate. No regrets. Others may choose differently, for whatever reason. I choose to kill them and rid the world of however many i can that I then know for sure wont be a problem for me or my dogs.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-16-2017 at 09:38 PM.

The little Jr sized Prairie rattlers in my neighborhood, most are around 2 to 2 1/2 ft. Largest one I recall seeing was about 3 ft, I saw it by watching one of my dogs pulling it out from under a bush. Its a miracle they werent bit. The 38 with Speer birdshot loads seems to work quite well up close. Light round ball loads in rifle also do.

Name:  Centenial with sneks.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  66.2 KB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but this happened recently. I'm guessing his accelerated heart rate coupled with the location of the bite itself may have contributed to his relatively quick demise.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/heal...t5R&ocid=ientp
    He may have stroked out or similar. To die that quickly from a coagulopathic snape venom to me sounds like a brain/cardiovascular thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The little Jr sized Prairie rattlers in my neighborhood, most are around 2 to 2 1/2 ft. Largest one I recall seeing was about 3 ft, I saw it by watching one of my dogs pulling it out from under a bush. Its a miracle they werent bit. The 38 with Speer birdshot loads seems to work quite well up close. Light round ball loads in rifle also do.

Name:  Centenial with sneks.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  66.2 KB
    CCI offers two .38/.357 shot loads, from memory number nine or four shot — any preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    In southern AZ, I've encountered a few snakes. Some were rattlers. Most were 3-4', but there have been several over 5', and some memorable 6'+ beasts. One caused me to levitate as it rattled and coiled in reaction to my stepping off the porch. Another one was stretched out in the sun across a dirt road. His tail was just off the grass on one side, and his head was just in it on the other. That thing was huge.

Not interested in me at all. I stepped carefully around the rattle end, my shotgun (was bird hunting) aimed at his head the whole time. He just lifted his head and watched me walk around him, and laid his head back down when I walked away.

A senior NCO I knew got bitten trying to relocate one. One puncture to his thumb, nearly cost him a hand.

I don't mess with them, unless I have to. I've only killed a couple.
    Duelist
    I just sent you a PM

User Tag List