Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency apps with video streaming

Emergency apps with video streaming

Police here recommends cell phones for taking picture/video evidence if threatened. Thank thats a good idea if self defense becomes necessary.

Anybody know an emergency app that is easy to start from a locked phone and streams video into the net, so even if your phone is taken away by the bad guy, the video proof still exists. Is there such a thing?

Or maybe a dedicated hidden body cam?

Thanks for any help!

Site Supporter
    I don't think that's a good idea, if I think I might need to defend myself the last thing I want to do is occupy my hands and brain with trying to record video.

Caveat:
    I am but a simple man with no LE or police experience so take my opinion and three bucks and you can get yourself a coffee at Starbucks.

Edit: I can see some limited situations where it might be useful, but in general as civilians we'll be reacting to ambush type situations that demand all of our attention NOW. And unlike most of society today I'm not going to hang out and video tape a domestic at Walmart or some other shenanigans that are neither my monkey nor my circus.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 10-12-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Buddy of mine on the force that was going through some drama bought an ink pen looking recorder that he would put in his uniform shirt. This was pre body cam days and he showed me some of the footage he was getting. It was pretty great for the time and he could download it via build in USB port.

Pen looked like a fat fountain pen. Good audio and video too. Not sure on the durability or how he activated it but he loved it. He bought it at a local spy shop for like 35.00 and said he used it all the time when dealing with things off the job (contractors, banks, college admin, etc.).

Might be worth a look. I'd want to be hands free if defense is imminent. I'd also want a dedicated device instead of cellphone based.

We write up a LOT of stolen phones from robbery victims and beat down victims.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 10-13-2017 at 12:58 PM.

The spy pen sounds like a great idea, however I wonder if some states have laws prohibiting recording a person without their knowledge.

Whenever I'm driving while armed (just about every time) I keep my phone in my top right shirt pocket. In my Contacts I have "A Police" with the number 911. I do this because a crazy road rage incident can happen to anyone and suddenly. Such incidents can range from just a finger-flip to some jerk who needs to follow you and kick your ass. In the latter case such a scenario can escalate to a life threatening situation depending on what the jerk does.

My plan is to just let the jerk follow me, reach for my phone and go to the Contacts. Since 911 is designated as "A Police" it's always first on the list and be can dialed fast. I will tell the dispatcher some nut is following me, I am armed and I don't know what he will do. I will give them my location, direction of travel, description and license number of my car and a description of the jerk and his car. I will ask for a cruiser to come find me and warn the dispatcher if I must stop due to traffic or other reasons and confront the jerk, I will defend myself, and with lethal force if necessary.

Just my plan.
    Last edited by John J. McCarthy, Jr.; 10-13-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    Optimism is true moral courage. - Sir Ernest Shackleton

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John J. McCarthy, Jr. View Post
    The spy pen sounds like a great idea, however I wonder if some states have laws prohibiting recording a person without their knowledge.

Whenever I'm driving while armed (just about every time) I keep my phone in my top right shirt pocket. In my Contacts I have "A Police" with the number 911. I do this because a crazy road rage incident can happen to anyone and suddenly. Such incidents can range from just a finger-flip to some jerk who needs to follow you and kick your ass. In the latter case such a scenario can escalate to a life threatening situation depending on what the jerk does.

My plan is to just let the jerk follow me, reach for my phone and go to the Contacts. Since 911 is designated as "A Police" it's always first on the list and be can dialed fast. I will tell the dispatcher some nut is following me, I am armed and I don't know what he will do. I will give them my location, direction of travel, description and license number of my car and a description of the jerk and his car. I will ask for a cruiser to come find me and warn the dispatcher if I must stop due to traffic or other reasons and confront the jerk, I will defend myself, and with lethal force if necessary.

Just my plan.
    I'd skip the part about telling the cops you're armed unless or until it becomes necessary.
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-17-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Police here recommends cell phones for taking picture/video evidence if threatened. Thank thats a good idea if self defense becomes necessary.

Anybody know an emergency app that is easy to start from a locked phone and streams video into the net, so even if your phone is taken away by the bad guy, the video proof still exists. Is there such a thing?

Or maybe a dedicated hidden body cam?

Thanks for any help!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...adcaster&hl=en

could start there and see if it does what you want. I know it can stream real-time to the internet, and people can actually view said stream in real-time as well, if you give them the link.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I believe its possible to live stream to a youtube account or cloud storage. Youtube may be able set to be able to watch or save, not sure how that works. If police or whoever was able to watch in real time, it may be useful if something went really sideways.

There was a woman that had her phone set up to back up all her pictures to cloud storage. Her phone was stolen, the guy that had it kept taking selfies of himself, and they were sent to her storage. Hilarity ensued when she posted duplicate pics online of her in the same pose with his pics, and explaining what she was doing.

If the device was set to live stream or send copies to cloud storage, then even if the phone was taken the footage or images wouldnt be lost.

If OP is concerned about idiots when driving, a dash cam is probably a good idea, some take forwards and backwards video. Theres a long thread on dash cams here. I bought one based on that thread. I leave it on when in stores where I may wish to see who was around my vehicle if I'm away. Surprising how many people dont notice it when riding with me. Its obscured by the rear view mirror from inside the vehicle and not very noticeable from outside for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'd skip the part about telling the cops you're armed unless or until it becomes necessary.
    My thinking here is if when the police arrive shots are being fired, they will know who the good guy is.
    Optimism is true moral courage. - Sir Ernest Shackleton

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John J. McCarthy, Jr. View Post
    My thinking here is if when the police arrive shots are being fired, they will know who the good guy is.
    My thinking here is if when the police arrive shots are being fired you're both the bad guy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    My thinking here is if when the police arrive shots are being fired you're both the bad guy.
    This until proven otherwise.

User Tag List