Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who shoot RMR's I need help correcting an issue please.

For those who shoot RMR's I need help correcting an issue please.

I hope this makes sense. On my natural draw stroke and extension my dot is always high, slightly out of the window. I don't have to fish around for it, it's high 95% of the time. I always have to lower the muzzle slightly which equates to lost time. I have tried every way I know of to correct it. Does anyone have any suggestion? I really would appreciate it.

G-19 Gen 3
    RM06 RMR.

David

You aren't unique with this issue.

One way is to drill the proper presentation with a dot to find it each time, this is going to take a long time.

The other way is to figure out a way to index shoot and find your dot during recoil. At the Modern Samurai Class, this varied between, using the rmr itself as an index, the backplate or the "horns" of the rmr to cut the target in half. Then when you are shooting it will be easier to find the dot in recoil as you probably have more reps of finding the dot in recoil than in presentation.

For me, I am not going to do reps of something which is counter to the way I shoot and carry a pistol, so the pistols I have RMRs on I find the front sight first, for a shot or two and then move onto the dot. I an nearly as fast with this method as just irons.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

One way is to drill the proper presentation with a dot to find it each time, this is going to take a long time.

The other way is to figure out a way to index shoot and find your dot during recoil. At the Modern Samurai Class, this varied between, using the rmr itself as an index, the backplate or the "horns" of the rmr to cut the target in half. Then when you are shooting it will be easier to find the dot in recoil as you probably have more reps of finding the dot in recoil than in presentation.

For me, I am not going to do reps of something which is counter to the way I shoot and carry a pistol, so the pistols I have RMRs on I find the front sight first, for a shot or two and then move onto the dot. I an nearly as fast with this method as just irons.
    Thank you VooDoo. Is your front sight all black?

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Thank you VooDoo. Is your front sight all black?
    Depends on the setup, all black is easier to find and cheaper. I tend to paint them neon green which has shown positive results.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I had (still have at times, if I haven't practiced with the RMR recently) the same problem. What I found I was doing was using the top of the RMR frame as an alignment point, and doing so I invariably had the same incorrect high sight picture (dot out of view at top of window, or almost so, and muzzle high). Since with irons I normally have them pretty well aligned upon presentation, I figured out my pea brain was overriding this normal presentation - - - perhaps because my eyes were wrongly "seeing" that shallow concave top of the RMR as the front aiming point. Whatever, I started trying to focus on the target and bring the RMR up, trying to center the window without seeing the top of the frame. Poorly described, but that helped me.

(I'll have to note that I'm terribly near-sighted, and with my normal eyeglasses, the front (iron) sight is very blurred, unless I tilt my head way back so I can see through the bottom of my progressive lenses. On the range, I wear glasses with the dominant eye lens set for front sight sharpness. Those glasses aren't good for normal wear. But my normal glasses work fine with the red dots, which is, for me at least, considerable motivation to go with a red dot.)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

Where do you prefer your rear sight. In front of or behind the RMR.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Practice practice practice. If you just throw the gun out there and try to find the dot you might hunt for it for a bit. Best thing to do is bring it up and find the sights like a "normal" presentation, and unless your red dot is way off from your irons then you red dot will be there. At that point you shift focus to the target and the dot will just be where it's supposed to be after you've found it. Fortunately on all my RMR'ed Glocks the dot has sat over the front sight for a 10yd POA/POI so it acts like a roided up front sight.

Like him or not, Suarez calls this the "visual handoff" which is a very appropriate way to describe it.

Site Supporter
    If your red dot cowitnesses with your iron sights (and I presume it does), you might try turning the dot off for a while and working on your presentation using just the iron sights. Then turn the dot on for a couple of draws and then back off. Gradually increase the ratio of "RMR on" to "RMR off" draws. At first practicing mostly with the iron sight should ingrain the right muscle memory, and then later using the irons less frequently will give you feedback and hopefully reinforce the correct presentation. If I had problems finding the dot, this is what I'd do first.

The last month or two, relaxed and warmed up, I can routinely draw my Q5/DP Pro in the .50’s, and my pistol has no BUIS. Either pick a pistol that points more naturally for you or adjust your presentation so the gun is more level. No doubt, you are doing the same things with irons, but the dot just makes it obvious.

Initially finding the dot in recoil after a shot or two is the red dot equivalent of condition three carry.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glocks tend to do that for me; M&P's not so much...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List