Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig p239

Sig p239

Not sure why but I have always been interested in this little Sig. I have really no time to shoot right now but I wanted to learn more about it in case I run across one for a fair price. I know most have said its big for its capacity but it does look just a bit thinner that my little hands would be able to manage it better in the trigger reach department then something like a 92fs that beats me up.

I know GJM it shoots above its size and others have had similar statements, thoughts? Does the thinness make a difference AIWB? Would it be worth trying to sell/trade a p2000sk lem for one?

thanks everyone.

One of the original "little guns that shoot like big guns." One of the better Sigs, even in Sig's bad years. I've always liked it more than the Smith 3913.

The factory grips can be a problem--they were too thin for me and I don't have large hands. Mine was also an early one that came standard with a thin trigger. They don't do that anymore and with good reason, it was a terrible combo for shoot-ability. Mine still wear rubber Hogues and there are plenty of wood options as well.

I've since gone to a Shield for daily carry because it's so much lighter but I'm thinking of digging the Sig back out for aiwb carry.

I have one in 357sig and it's just an awesome shooter. For a smaller gun, it handles that caliber like a champ. Nice because I have a .40 cal I can drop in it and it's easy enough to add the 9mm if I wanted. This is one of these guns that I likely will never get rid of, even though it sits in my safe most of the time.

I carry aiwb and this is pretty easy to carry but it's really because the weight/capacity why I don't carry it. I wouldn't consider it really very thin, but not terrible thick either. Grip length is almost identical to the g19 but much heavier with almost half the capacity. About an inch shorter and the width is about the same as a glock. Great shooter, pretty easy to carry but as will be mentioned a lot, the "weight/capacity ratio" is the big negative. With just about every comparison, it will lose in that category. Other than that, it's a fantastic gun.. It really is.

Site Supporter
    I really like the 239 and have used them quite a bit.

I recently got a 225 A1 that I like a bit better. It's slightly bigger in the slide but the grip is thin and it comes with the SRT and G10 grips (almost a Legion, but without the shitty finish).

You can't go wrong either way!

As others have said, the P239 is one of the most underrated Sigs in the lineup. I have owned P239s in 9mm and .40, and both versions are excellent. It has the durability, accuracy, and shootibility of a full sized P226. Sure its bigger and heavier than most guns in its class, but there is something comforting about having such an accurate little gun that conceals better than a P228/P229.

I only give the P239 two drawbacks. One is obviously its magazine capacity. I've found that 8rds is the bare minimum I like to carry(I used to use a P220 on duty) as a CCW. There's just something about the natural shooting cadence of a human and when you start addressing multiple threats you run dry quick under stress. I would rather use a smaller caliber(below 9mm) than go below that 8rd minimum. I usually carry 1-2 extra 8rd 9mm mags on me. The other downside to the P239 is that it is particularly susceptible to tripping the slide release with a thumbs forward grip. So, it definitely requires an adjusted thumbs forward grip to help prevent that.......especially given the critical nature of the gun being low capacity, and the necessity of needing the gun to lock back on the last round with more frequent reloads. I actually cut back my slide release with a Dremil tool to help prevent this(sometimes training isn't enough, you need equipment solutions too).

One other thing, I am not a fan of the factory plastic grips. They offer little security, and not much purchase for a solid grip. The Hogue rubber wrap-around grips are perfect for this little gun, and greatly improve grip security, recoil comfort, and shooter accuracy.
    Last edited by KhanRad; 10-12-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

I carried a 9mm 239 for a long time. They carry great, the heavy slide and light grip naturally balance very well in holster, but the same makes it a bit top heavy in the hand. Carried and concealed AIWB better than any compact double stack.

The slide release is hard to use for some reason. It takes a lot of force to send the slide home with it.
    Reloads are not real easy. Skinny single stack mags and that short grip makes you have to get your pinky out of the way to get the mag seated.

All in all, compared to the modern plastic pistols, it's as heavy as a full size, carries like a compact, capacity and handling of a sub-compact.

I replaced mine with Glock 43s and never looked back. The 43 does everything better, just two rounds short. The Glock 19 Gen5 replaced the P226s that were paired with the 239s, and there is just no comparison there.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post

One other thing, I am not a fan of the factory plastic grips. They offer little security, and not much purchase for a solid grip. The Hogue rubber wrap-around grips are perfect for this little gun, and greatly improve grip security, recoil comfort, and shooter accuracy.
    One of the main pluses of the classic P-series is a wonderful selection of aftermarket grips. I love nice wood or G10 myself.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The 239 is a great ten round magazine ban pistol, especially carried appendix, or as a BUG/companion to a primary P series shooter. Shootability is way up there for a single stack 9, and it has a hammer!

Without those restrictions (mag limit, P series, hammer), it is somewhat expensive, heavy, capacity limited and slow to reload, given all the great pistol choices out there today.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think the p239 in 9mm is a very nice carry pistol, though like others say, it is a bit heavy. A Shield is lighter, cheaper and you don't have to master a DA/SA trigger.

That being said, a DA/SA trigger is, in my view, a nice feature in a carry pistol. In addition, since I don't worry about whether 8 rounds is enough or about reloads at all (as a civilian, I regard the chance that I will need more than 8 rounds where I live as slight; indeed it is doubtful that I would ever be able to legally fire more than 8) I think it has more than enough capacity. If you need more than that, and of course many cops etc. do need more than that, I'd go to a G19 (with a Gadget) or a p228/229.

As for the weight, it absorbs the recoil nicely, and every 239 I've shot has been very accurate. In addition, the 239, like most SIGs in my experience, can take a pounding So, I think there is a lot to be said for a 239 as a carry gun.

So what is current opinion on Sig quality and reliability out of the box?

User Tag List