Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig p239

I love my 239. Great trigger, really accurate, not that difficult to shoot really well. It makes a really great companion to a 226. I needed a very low profile option for a carry gun at one point so I spent an entire summer and fall carrying one in a Smart Carry. It really worked very well in that situation even though it was a little heavy. The TDA made me feel very safe about carrying the pistol that way. I really enjoy shooting it and I will never get rid of it.

The only problem with the 239 is it is almost exactly the same size as a Glock 19. I don't own a Px4 compact but I would suspect that the 239 and it are also pretty close in size. I think it could be argued that a P30sk would fit in every role that a 239 would, have all of the benefits of the 239, and none of the minuses.

Langhrone - I have been woefully underwhelmed by Sig's QC and build quality lately. I may be jaded, all my Sigs were pre-2005 German builds, and all were stellar. Triggers on recent samples I've seen have been pretty pitiful...

I’ve always wanted one of the melted ones - SAS models, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    A Shield is lighter, cheaper and you don't have to master a DA/SA trigger.
    This, I owned both 9mm and .357 variants of the P239 and sold them a few years back when the truly reliable polymer single stack 9mm guns like PPS and Shield came into the market (my Kahr experiences were entirely negative before that). I found the 8 round polymer single stack striker guns so much easier to carry and shoot. There was nothing I found negative about the P239 in terms of shootablity for a DA/SA, or its accuracy, or reliability. It was just too big and heavy for the 8+1 payload in my mind since I could shoot the others just as well.

I've owned three P239s, and was issued one. I'm NOT a fan. When combined size-wise with the P228 or P229, it's only marginally smaller overall. The grips are still thick, and nearly as long as the bigger pistol. They're heavy. The triggers are meh. A lot of folks who are issued them have to learn P239-specific grip techniques to avoid inadvertently activating the slide lock/release - so much so that I've just gotten in the habit of screaming "RELOAD" at the P239 shooters every six rounds in our qual course - since most are holding empty but slide forward pistols. Did I mention they're heavy?

Yes, they can be shot accurately. Yes, they look sexy. But, I'd take a G43 or Kahr P9 (K9 if I needed a steel frame) any day over the P239. Hell, if I wanted a single-stack metal framed hammer fired pistol, I'd probably go for an alloy framed 9mm 1911 over the P239.

Site Supporter
    I have a 239. Love them. Is it true that a 239 is about the same size as a G19? Yes but the 239 carries much better because of the single stack. My G23 will always print to some degree while my 239 never does. And I own all the top tier holsters from Sparks, Rosen, CCC, JMK etc. Is it heavy? Probably, but that also helps dampen recoil. Is the capacity low? Yes, but when I put an eight round mag with a Plus One kit in it, it's now a ten round gun. Carry an extra mag and you have 19 rounds on your body which IMHO isn't too shabby. I've never had a problem with the slide release problems that some guys do and I also hold thumbs forward.All in all IMHO the 239 is a GREAT gun for concealed carry. It carries well, doesn't print, shots very well and it is after all, a Sig. I highly recommend them.

Good discussion thus far. I really like it for the hammer, slimeness for aiwb, and overall just like the look of the gun. Would trying to trade a p2000sk be studpid or is that a pretty even trade?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Good discussion thus far. I really like it for the hammer, slimeness for aiwb, and overall just like the look of the gun. Would trying to trade a p2000sk be studpid or is that a pretty even trade?
    What is it that makes you want to dump the HK?

I'm a big fan of the 239. Yes it's large and heavy for a 9 shot 9mm. But it carries smaller than it is. The grip is narrow and short and disappears IWB under anything. Spare mags are flat and easily carried. I can hide a 239 IWB under a much wider range of shirts than I can a 228 or 229.

They can be shot much better than guns like the G43. In general, the 239 seems to have the best out of the box DA of any P series SIG.

They are what they are. For me, that's a great 10 round ban state gun and a slim single stack that hides well under a t-shirt. It wouldn't be my 1st choice to start a fight with, but with a spare mag or 2, it's capable.

They are hard to reload and require you to flex and relax your little finger if you have large hands. Otherwise you will reload skin with bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    What is it that makes you want to dump the HK?
    spent a long time with the LEM and its just not in my interest anymore. Overall great gun, just been sitting in the safe too long.

User Tag List