Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gunsite Academy vs Rogers Shooting School

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Is it just me or is gunsite kind of nuts on their prices? I'm trying to get some shotgun training next year and when I saw the price of their 3 day class I was shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not just you. They are high no matter the justification and is why I will probably never train with them. Good for anyone who can, I am not criticizing, just stating.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Is it just me or is gunsite kind of nuts on their prices? I'm trying to get some shotgun training next year and when I saw the price of their 3 day class I was shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been spoiled by CSAT prices, I'm taking a 6 day course for $1,200

Full disclosure, I have never been to a Gunsite school, I have heard good things, but none are near me so I just have not done it. I have however been to Rogers basic class this past March.

I consider myself a decent pistol shot, I have taken numerous classes with Brian Hoffner in Houston. I like his style, I think it is very good for someone who is not very advanced. That being said, I was never particularly challenged in either his pistol or rifle classes, but I learned and it was fun, so for me it was worth it. I shot some IDPA when I was living in south Florida, I liked it very much but shooting a P226, it is hard to be uber competitive against striker fired pistols.

Forward to Rogers. My brother-in-law, whom I have taken several classes at Hoffners with and we shoot weekly, took Rogers advance class last fall. He came back both demoralized, enthusiastic, and chomping at the bit to go back. He talked me into going to the basic class with him this past March. He warned me that on Monday night I would want to quit, he was right. I would personally never encourage anyone that does not shoot regularly to attend a Rogers class. He will tell you, he is not prepared to teach people to shoot, he is however prepared to make you a better shooter assuming you already have the basics down. Bill's class, if you have never been to one, will tear you down, and build you back to his mold, it is the only way to succeed at his school.

I do not know which school is the 'best', I think that all depends where you are at on you journey. Me, I am still in the basic class. I will go back to Bill's school, probably in March again. Maybe after my second basic class I will feel like I am ready to move to the advanced, but I will probably be miserable there too on Monday night. But there is always Tuesday.

Some things about the basic class: the max is 12 students, so typical student to teacher ratio is 3:1, my class was 2:1 since we only had 10. You will shoot a lot, and I mean a lot. To give you an idea of the pace, if you are not on the line shooting, you are reloading and scoring, often at the same time. We put over 3500 rounds downrange that week starting with .22 revolver, then going on to an M&P 22. Then if you make the basic requirement, you move to 9MM and shoot revolver then an M&P 9MM.

Bills mantra is, Be Fast, Be Accurate, Be the Best. It sounds good, but our class changed it some in our joking to, be fast enough, be accurate enough, and be good enough, but I only shot a 99, so take that with a grain of salt, support hand is my nemesis.

User Tag List