Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunsite Academy vs Rogers Shooting School

Gunsite Academy vs Rogers Shooting School

Each work out to about the same price. I'll eventually do both but I'm not a rich man so a year will probably separate them. The question becomes, which do I go to first? Input is appreciated. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    What's your training goal?

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    What's your training goal?
    To attend a well known and respected 5-day class.

Site Supporter
    Rogers is about shooting their test. It's not a typical 5 day class, IMO.

If you want to shoot a lot of steel, with disappearing targets, on the clock - then Rogers is your place. If you want to shoot on the move, and do other more traditional 5 day school stuff, then you'd probably be better off elsewhere.

Last edited by JV_; 10-11-2017 at 05:45 PM.

I have attended gunsite 250 and they teach a balance of gun handling, marksmanship, tactics, and mindset. Depending on your skill level it may or may not be challenging. It is a great experience though because of the people you meet. I have not attended Rogers, but I believe it is focused on improving your technical shooting skill. So what is your training goal?

I believe @GJM has attended both. Hopefully he will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I believe @GJM has attended both. Hopefully he will chime in.
    Affirmative, he’s been to both, multiple X’s each IIRC, seems he was just @ a GS reunion & looking forward to him weighing in here.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    So what is your training goal?
    I was mostly serious in my earlier response. I really just want to check out some of the schools I've heard are really good. I've got CSAT in my backyard and have taken several classes, with more on the calendar. I'm a bit of a training enthusiast and like experiencing different instructors and their styles. I have no aspirations of become a pro shooter or anything.

Make sense?

I was teasing you a little with that comment. I am glad you did not take it the wrong way. At the gunsite course the did range work, an indoor simulator, an outdoor simulator and a night shooting session, too. So it sounds like you would like either class. If you wanted to move from a B-class to an A-class shooter I don't think gunsite is for you and Rogers would help you.

I’ll reiterate what I was counseled a handful of years ago re the Roger’s school...

Go NOW for the opportunity of experiencing a true industry and firearms training icon...before you’re no longer able to.

I followed the advice and had an excellent experience. It was a blast meeting Bill, hearing his take on things and getting to watch him put the rubber to the road demoing his own school test. Between that and the caliber of the group that attended, it was truly an excellent experience.

But like JV notes, the class is not your typical week long program. And the instruction itself (not necessarily the theory) is ALL about preparation for the school tests. In that respect, it’s an excellent barometer of your current technical shooting skills, but the way the school is structured, it IS NOT a week of relaxing, pretty much regardless of your ability.
    Last edited by taadski; 10-11-2017 at 07:25 PM.

User Tag List