Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had to pull a weapon

The curse of the, “sheep dog”...

The, “sheep dog,” concept isn’t valid. Your only, “job,” or mission as a Civilian Defender is to protect yourself and whoever your charges are (wife, kids, friends, etc.).

In ANY fight you engage in, you have a non-zero chance of dying, AND a non-zero chance of finding yourself in a life-altering/finance destroying legal incursion.

I’ve avoided far more incidents than I’ve ever participated in. If someone thinks that makes me a wuss, then I guess I’m a wuss! But I’m still here.

As the great John Farnam says, “Avoidance, Deterrence and Deescalation!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    The curse of the, “sheep dog”...

The, “sheep dog,” concept isn’t valid. Your only, “job,” or mission as a Civilian Defender is to protect yourself and whoever your charges are (wife, kids, friends, etc.).

In ANY fight you engage in, you have a non-zero chance of dying, AND a non-zero chance of finding yourself in a life-altering/finance destroying legal incursion.

I’ve avoided far more incidents than I’ve ever participated in. If someone thinks that makes me a wuss, then I guess I’m a wuss! But I’m still here.

As the great John Farnam says, “Avoidance, Deterrence and Deescalation!”
    Those who bluster about "Sheepdog!" on the internets aren't going to be paying your legal bills should you find yourself in a shooting.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I despise the whole "sheepdog" concept myself. I suppose it doesn't help that I have absolutely no use for Dave Grossman, the chief promoter of the concept. It's a concept really seized upon by wannabes trying to live their personal man fantasy. You weren't being directly threatened in any meaningful sense, neither was anyone else. Therefore, you had no reason to take any other action than what you did, in any physical or moral sense. Other than the dubious choice of not being armed, you handled the situation in a mature and reasonable manner.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Based on your description of the incident, if you had pointed a gun at that guy, or especially shot him, you would have turned a perfectly good dirt bag into a victim.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    You did the right thing by avoiding the confrontation- as per my signature quote, you win all the fights you avoid.
    I should have known that William April said it better and sooner. He stuck me as crazy smart like that.

You did just fine.
    Optimism is true moral courage. - Sir Ernest Shackleton

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    You win 100 percent of the fights you don’t get into. If you must, you must, and don’t dither around, but weapon craft is a civilian tool of last resort, not first option.

Incidentally, I have pulled weapons on people before. Thankfully that level of reasoning worked well in each instance, with nobody harmed.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I feel a bit like a coward because I ran and got out of his site. I did call the police and they arrested him. The amazing thing is of all the people watching this guy I was the only one who called the police.
    Would you feel braver if you'd gotten your head pounded on the pavement until you had a sub-dural bleed or if you'd been stabbed with a screwdriver? If you had been carrying, would you feel better explaining to detectives how you killed someone who started out fifty yards from you?

You did the smart thing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I think you did fine as well.

Personally, I have pulled my weapon hundreds of times on duty. Off duty.......four times in 20 years of being in LE.

1. I was riding my mountain bike off duty and was coming back to the parking lot of the apartment complex my wife and I lived at. We were about to leave for a trip and I was getting in one last workout before being away from my bicycle. I came around the corner and saw two kids that were looking around to see who was looking at them.....classic casing the area.......and lots of cars full of stuff to steal in the parking lot. I made the loop and made sure I had my cell phone and went ahead and called it in for first shift to come out and check. I was going to hold back and be a good witness but when I circled back around, I could see that one of them opened up a pickup, reached under the seat, and came out with what appeared to be a cocked and locked 1911 which he quickly stuck in his waistband. Both started heading for the hills so I crept up behind them stealthy like and proned them out at gunpoint. Dispatch had my clothing description and got it to the responding units and I had my shield displayed when the black and white pulled up. Felony arrest times 2 and it put me a couple of hours late hitting the road much to my wife's dismay.

2. Same town as above....we are at an ATM getting some cash for dinner....late afternoon....broad daylight. Two nefarious characters pull in the parking lot wide open and the passenger gets out to bumrush me. I see what's about to go down and pivot while drawing my G23 2gen and change his and his partner's frame of thinking. He dives back in the car and they take off. I make an attempt to get the tag but they (at this point) are driving like maniacs and I can't the plate without crashing into other drivers. I still call it in and never heard anything else about it.

3. Current city I drive up to the gas station close to the house and before I can get out, a van blocks me in. I see the driver coming up to my driver's side with his right hand concealed behind his right leg.......so I draw a C&L Smith 1911PD Commander and snick the safety off. He comes up to the window and asks me to get out and "show" him the way to the interstate. He looks down and sees the bore of my .45 pointed at him and turns and runs off. Again, I try to catch up with that guy to get the tag while I am calling it in to dispatch. He vaporizes seemingly into thin air.

4. Late night parking lot I get hit up with a guy that turns out was just wanting a couple of bucks. I didn't see this one coming and was slow to get my gun out but my son alerted me to his approach. Just a drawstroke on this event as it turned out to be nothing.

I couldn't tell you the number of times I have called into dispatch on domestics and drama in Walmart and other retail stores without anyone on scene being the wiser. The last one was this huge guy that was about to beat the crap out of his wife. I stood off with a larger barrier between us where I could hear and relay info. They got loud and just a little physical but nothing rising to the criminal level. Being armed, I had already decided to not get involved unless he pulled a weapon or started beating her to death. Lawsuits and drama are not what I am looking for off duty. They ended up (like most domestics) getting into the same car and pulling out of the parking lot before on duty units arrived. I quietly walked to the car and left.

There isn't much worth getting involved in........unless you are backed into a corner.....in this day and age. Houses are hard to come by as well as other assets and there are too many people willing to sue you for them. Life or death? Yeah, sure. Some drugged up guy in a parking lot acting the idiot? Not so much.

Doubtful anyone with any life experience is going to consider turning from a confrontation cowardly in any way, shape, or form. Never beat yourself up protecting your health and your livelihood. Even a fist fight is wrought with risks such as broken hands and such......and the more I age the more past tussles come back to haunt me when I awake in the mornings. I got enough aches and pains and need no additional ones.

Hope this helps.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    You can get in a fight that you might or might not win, or you can go on about your day. Tweaker in the parking lot? Ain't nobody got time for that.

And Facebook comments have cemented my belief that I never want to defend my actions to a jury of my peers.

User Tag List