Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had to pull a weapon

Have you ever had to pull a weapon

I am asking this question because of a incident that happened to me. I was walking in a mall parking lot when a very agitated, very angry man stated going up to cars and asking for money and other things. He seemed very out of place in the area, but since we have a very large speedway in our area it can draw a lot of odd and questionable people. Anyhow he stated hollering out racial threats and other obscenities. I looked to see where they were coming from and he made eye contact with me. He then hollerd that he was coming to get me and started going in my direction. He was about 50 yards away so I just ran and got out of his site. I really didn't want to get into any fight with this person because I am about 30 years older than him. At 55 and in very good shape I just didn't think it would be a smart move. I feel a little bad that I didn't do more but I cant say if I had my gun with me that I would have pulled it with all the people around in fear that I would him some innocent person.

Is this the wrong way to handle this problem if you have a carry permit and you are carrying. If my kids had been with me and he caught up with me it would have been different. I feel a bit like a cowerd because I ran and got out of his site. I did call the police and they arrested him. The amazing thing is of all the people watching this guy I was the only one who called the police.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I am asking this question because of a incident that happened to me. I was walking in a mall parking lot when a very agitated, very angry man stated going up to cars and asking for money and other things. He seemed very out of place in the area, but since we have a very large speedway in our area it can draw a lot of odd and questionable people. Anyhow he stated hollering out racial threats and other obscenities. I looked to see where they were coming from and he made eye contact with me. He then hollerd that he was coming to get me and started going in my direction. He was about 50 yards away so I just ran and got out of his site. I really didn't want to get into any fight with this person because I am about 30 years older than him. At 55 and in very good shape I just didn't think it would be a smart move. I feel a little bad that I didn't do more but I cant say if I had my gun with me that I would have pulled it with all the people around in fear that I would him some innocent person.

Is this the wrong way to handle this problem if you have a carry permit and you are carrying. If my kids had been with me and he caught up with me it would have been different. I feel a bit like a cowerd because I ran and got out of his site. I did call the police and they arrested him. The amazing thing is of all the people watching this guy I was the only one who called the police.
    I don't think you did wrong. What would be gained by getting into an altercation? One or both of you potentially harmed, (seriously or mortally), and possible arrests or legal consequences whether penal or civil.

If it were your only option, I'd say fight and prevail. Avoidance when nothing is lost in doing so is probably the better part of valor.

I don't see any upside in staying and confronting the guy based on how you described the situation.

Discretion is the better part of valor. Or so it was said above. Wearing a gun doesn't me you MUST confront someone. LE may have a requirement to engage, depending, but as Joe CCW... no harm in getting away without drawing or engaging. The best fight is the one you never have, IMHO.

You win 100 percent of the fights you don’t get into. If you must, you must, and don’t dither around, but weapon craft is a civilian tool of last resort, not first option.

Incidentally, I have pulled weapons on people before. Thankfully that level of reasoning worked well in each instance, with nobody harmed.

You did the right thing by avoiding the confrontation- as per my signature quote, you win all the fights you avoid.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I might opine that discussing when you pulled a gun on the Internet is not the world's best idea. If you have some ambiguous use of firearms in the future, a previous incident may be discovered and used to portray you in a bad light. Now, someone will say - show me a case - good for you if you say that. We know that training and competition have come up in trials, why add a new risk?

Avoidance is the best plan. Heck, give up $5.00 if need be. That's cheaper than the fun and games of defending a shoot. If that offends you, also - good for you. You fight when grievous bodily harm in imminent.

Here's where we say that one should take the appropriate courses to learn how to deal with the force continuum in a reasonable manner. Lots of good folk (as on this forum) teach such.

You did the right thing.

Also, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I might opine that discussing when you pulled a gun on the Internet is not the world's best idea. If you have some ambiguous use of firearms in the future, a previous incident may be discovered and used to portray you in a bad light. Now, someone will say - show me a case - good for you if you say that. We know that training and competition have come up in trials, why add a new risk?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Sounds like you did just fine. You observed the threat while he was still 50 yards away and you avoided a confrontation. No one was injured. You have no legal ramifications to face. That’s a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Best to avoid an altercation at all possible costs. Never think of yourself as coward for hightailing it out of Dodge.

What is this part of your story?
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I feel a little bad that I didn't do more but I cant say if I had my gun with me that I would have pulled it with all the people around in fear that I would him some innocent person.
    Have you seen Tom Givens student's stats? The three losses (actually forfeits) because each individual chose to go unarmed.

User Tag List