Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QuickClot/Hemostatic Agents October 2017

QuickClot/Hemostatic Agents October 2017

Inspired by NEPAKevin's thread. Lots of choices out there. Seem to remember that the loose hemostatic agents are no longer recommended and that we should use hemostatic-agent containing bandages? Trying to put together one with a tourniquet and a few other items.

Thanks.
    Last edited by AlwaysLearning; 10-10-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: clarity/attribution

QuickClot/Hemostatic Agents October 2017

The most popular ones I know of are
    Quick Clot Combat Gauze, Celox Gauze and Chitogauze. All three have been heavily tested and vetted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 10-10-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Formatting
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Thanks, will check those out.

At an intro class a few weeks back, Bill Lewitt taught that Quick Clot gauze was fine, but steered general population to Celox gauze. He compared Quick Clot to "milspec" and then compared "mil-spec" bodies to general population. The "milspec body" he described as an 18-35 year old, fit males, not on prescription meds. For that spec, Quik Clot or Celox is a proven workable solution. Outside of that, Celox has proven better when used on non-milspec bodies, where age, blood thinners, or blood pressure medication may be in play. He also said NO to granules or sponges.

I'm just parroting what I got out of a class, so the experience isn't my own and I have Quik Clot z-fold in my DARK mini, but I will add Celox down the road.

For giggles, I did a quick search for Bill's information and found a podcast over at http://blog.shooting-performance.com...armed-citizen/ while Bill's basic intro is covered. At 25:50 he goes over his thoughts on hemostatic agents. He also has a YouTube channel with some pigs blood demo.

Edited to add reference data to Bill Lewitt and his presentation.
    Last edited by GMSweet; 10-13-2017 at 02:09 PM.

When I went through TECC last year they suggested Chito Gauze or Celox Gauze for use with anticoagulant drugs. Instructors reported that due to the respective mechanisms of action Chito/Celox would work despite anticoagulants or cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Does anyone know if there are any Chitogauze and/or Celox Gauze packs that come pre-packed like the Adventure Medical Kit Trauma packs (https://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Med...p/B003BS2PW4)? I've carried the AMK Trauma packs for a few years (never needed them, thankfully), because they are inexpensive to acquire, compact, and self-contained. But they contain QuikClot in sponge form. And obviously, I'd like to move to gauze and most of my time is spent around the general pop, not "mil-spec bodies" as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any Chitogauze and/or Celox Gauze packs that come pre-packed like the Adventure Medical Kit Trauma packs
    Some of the Tacmed kits such as the DOC have the option of adding Celox 15, 35 or gauze. Lot more spendy than the AMKT. Their site also has a section to just order components.
    (below the tourniquets, which after three days of looking at the things I would be able to spell)
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 10-13-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: change link
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Some of the Tacmed kits such as the DOC have the option of adding Celox 15, 35 or gauze. Lot more spendy than the AMKT. Their site also has a section to just order components.
    Thanks!

The DOK there looks pretty good. More expensive, yes, but also includes a tourniquet which the AMK Trauma-Pack does not have. I really only need two or three of them anyways. And I'll continue to keep the AMKs on hand until the expire (then off to training they go).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any Chitogauze and/or Celox Gauze ...
    Not that I saw when I was checking them out. Side note, I found those kits over at HSAStore.com which allows for some pre-tax money to be used for those of us with Health Savings Accounts.

Dumb question - I've been carrying a pack of Celox Rapid Z Fold gauze (NSN 6510 99 184 6453) around in the pockets of my cargo shorts (I have an H&H in the other) for six months.

That's not a problem, right? I mean, the package is still secure, but the wrapper is getting a bit banged up.

I guess since I was coming up on a year that I'd just replace it with a fresh one annually, but if I don't need to...?

User Tag List