Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QuickClot/Hemostatic Agents October 2017

Celox z-fold. Have used it on several occasions works well, gata practice with it to get it right.

Training above all else.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I guess since I was coming up on a year that I'd just replace it with a fresh one annually, but if I don't need to...?
    Shopping for stuff this week, noticed some vendors specify when their current lot expires which would lead me to think there should be some kind of expiration date or code on the packaging. FWIW, the QC sponge I bought at least a year ago has a 2018-01 next to the lot:
    Name:  WP_20171014_003.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  29.8 KB
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

No granules, no sponges. There is some science behind the celox vs QC. Honor expiration dates, but you can use them beyond for training or contingency supplies. Packages can look gnarly, seal integrity is what's important. Consider your environmentals in rotation schedule. When in doubt, get new.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Dumb question - I've been carrying a pack of Celox Rapid Z Fold gauze (NSN 6510 99 184 6453) around in the pockets of my cargo shorts (I have an H&H in the other) for six months.

That's not a problem, right? I mean, the package is still secure, but the wrapper is getting a bit banged up.

I guess since I was coming up on a year that I'd just replace it with a fresh one annually, but if I don't need to...?
    Basically what @ST911 said...

But, dude; just stop in some kitschy nonsense shop on one of your adventures and grab a little pouch for it to take the abuse by proxy.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Just for reference, here is the American College of Surgeon's current thinking on hemostatic agents...

Topical Hemostatic Agents
    Recommendation 1: We suggest the use of topical hemostatic agents, in combination with direct pressure, for the control of significant hemorrhage in the prehospital setting in anatomic areas where tourniquets cannot be applied and where sustained direct pressure alone is ineffective or impractical.

Strength of Recommendation: Weak
    Quality of Evidence: Low
    Remarks: While the evidence was low, there are consistent data from animal models, suggesting reduced hemorrhage with these agents compared to standard gauze and the committee felt that junctional hemorrhage and torso wounds may benefit from the combination of direct pressure and hemostatic dressings.

Recommendation 2: We suggest that topical hemostatic agents be delivered in a gauze format that supports wound packing.
    Strength of Recommendation: Weak
    Quality of Evidence: Low
    Remarks: This recommendation was based on the military experience and the animal studies suggesting that products that allow packing of the wound have superior hemorrhage control.
    Keep in mind re: Rec #2 that packing can be achieved with regular gauze - no need for hemostatic agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Just for reference, here is the American College of Surgeon's current thinking on hemostatic agents...

Keep in mind re: Rec #2 that packing can be achieved with regular gauze - no need for hemostatic agents.
    These recommendations are based on US based literature I assume, correct? Celox has been in wide use in the current RU forces, Ukraine and Syria. From what I've been told it seems to be working really well.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    These recommendations are based on US based literature I assume, correct? Celox has been in wide use in the current RU forces, Ukraine and Syria. From what I've been told it seems to be working really well.
    Mix of US military and civilian studies with one Israeli military study.

Keep in mind that the biggest reason behind their grading of the evidence for hemostatic gauze is that the literature is fairly poor. There simply aren't that many studies done, and those that have been done aren't usually done very well - largely because trauma is inherently difficult to study objectively. Patient to patient, trauma and associated outcomes can vary widely due its multifactorial nature, so it's hard to say if a given experimental prehospital intervention is better than the standard of care (i.e. hemostatic gauze vs regular gauze).

I suspect this is probably analogous to the lethality of FMJ vs JHP handgun ammunition; one is objectively better, but if you get shot in the right place it doesn't really matter. Just my 0.02 USD
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-16-2017 at 04:48 PM.

User Tag List