Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tourniquets 2017 Oct

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Ohh, just something else to add for consideration...

When the FD and PD were running drills with local level 1 hospitals they would attach TQ's to various parts of dummy's and they found that if the TQ was all black, and if the person was wearing darker clothing the ER staff would usually cut the TQ (either accidentally or on purpose) off while cutting clothing off. This did not happen with orange TQ's.
    I work in a Level 2 Trauma Center, careless nurses cut through all kinds of shit regardless of color. IV tubing, monitors wires, defibrillator pad wires, stretcher seat belts, back board spider straps are all fair game. If it ain’t meat, it’s at risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I prefer the CAT.

We got issued SOFTT-Ws in SAR and I get issued CAT tourniquets at my EMS agency.

I’ve never used a SOFT-TW in the field. I have used the CAT in the field. I do a tourniquet lab a few times a year when I teach CE at my agency. We play with 10+ different types and ways of using them. Both the SOFTT-W and CAT are fine. I prefer the CAT, but that’s probably just a subjective preference. I find it to be really quick to deploy, but it’s slightly bulkier.

All of our County agencies and our Trauma system use the CAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tourniquets 2017 Oct

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Thanks to all who responded. Decided to go with the suggestion to have both the CAT and the SOFT-W on hand. Tacmed's website had all the SOFT-W listed as "not available" so I ordered the DOKs mentioned in one of the previous post as go around as they include the tourniquet and the other stuff that comes with the kit looks like a good deal.
    I would suggest:

-Have only one type of tourniquet.
    -Have anyone that would respond with them get a bare minimum of once a year training.
    -Have responders practice actually placing one TIGHTLY.
    -Have 5 tourniquets and the ability to improvise 2 more (like, belt for one and shirt and pen for a second) PER responder.
    -Designate where the gear is kept.
    -If you have gear for only one responder, but 10 people that are trained, make sure you designate who the responder will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 10-13-2017 at 04:42 PM.

I won't bother with anything other than a SOF-TW.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List