Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: A different take on reliability - Guns you've personally seen fail

Site Supporter
    Gun: Les Baer PII
    Setting: Casual range shooting
    Failure: failures to extract
    Fix: pending new extractor
    My pistol.

Had this gun 8 years, bought it used. It’s a late 1990s gun. No idea on the round count but recoil and firing pin springs have been replaced. First issue with this gun so I’m assuming this is the first indication it’s time for a new extractor. Ammo was Remington 230 FMJ. The FTE occurred one or twice per mag with four different patterns of magazines.

Name:  527785D1-1D8D-4641-B592-49B0F69BC3A4.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  40.0 KB

I have 3 that I can think of off the top of my head:

Gun: Glock 16 Gen 4
    Setting: USPSA Match
    How did it fail: Several stovepipes during one match
    What was the remedy: Replaced all the springs
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: It was my gun I used for USPSA matches

Notes: I absued the hell out of this gun. I didn't clean it at all I just shot it in matches and at the range for practice and sometimes added lube to it. Gun ran fine for 7000 rounds and then suddendly I had a view stovepipes at the same match. Went home and replaced all the springs inside the gun ( extractor spring, striker spring, recoil spring, etc) for like $30-40 and seemed to work ok again after that.

Gun: Ruger LCP
    Setting: Flat range target practice at an indoor range
    How did it fail: Right ouf the box wouldn't go a full mag without either a stove pipe, failure to feed or some other issue relating to ammo.
    What was the remedy: I tried a few different kinds of 380 and gave up.
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: It was my pistol and I stold it to someone else giving them the notes that it didn't seem to work for me.

Notes:

Gun: Ruger LCP 2
    Setting: Flat range target practice at an indoor range
    How did it fail: Right ouf the box wouldn't go a full mag without either a stove pipe, failure to feed or some other issue relating to ammo.
    What was the remedy: I sent it to Ruger 4 times and finally they said "We'll give you the option of a brand new gun or we can cut you a check for what you paid for it." and I took the check
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: It was my gun.

Notes: I guess I'm the fool because I'm the one that gave the LCP 2 a try after my issues with the LCP 1. All that said as much as it sucked trying ti figure out why it wouldn't work and buying lots of different 380 ammo to use to test Ruger's customer service was amazing. They didn't even question it when I told them it didn't work they just immediately emailed me a shipping label each of the 4 times. As much as I never want to buy another LCP the way Ruger handled it gave me a lot of convidence that if I do buy something from them that does not work they will help me fix it.

Site Supporter

Thank you for great input.

Thank you guys! Those are the kinds of experiences I was hoping to hear. I own an M&P 9 2.0 also, and wondered if people had experienced problems with them in the short term.

I have to view the 2,000 round challenge thread. I recall seeing it, but didn't realize what it involved. Thank you for that tip too.

Great Site: Great Members!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Thank you guys! Those are the kinds of experiences I was hoping to hear. I own an M&P 9 2.0 also, and wondered if people had experienced problems with them in the short term.

I have to view the 2,000 round challenge thread. I recall seeing it, but didn't realize what it involved. Thank you for that tip too.

Great Site: Great Members!
    The only issue I’ve seen with the M&P 2.0s is not 2.0 specific, but rather the CORE modular optics system. I’ve seen multiple CORE failures on both 1.0 and 2.0 guns. Most recently I saw a Steiner MPS come off an M&P still mounted to an aftermarket plate and strike the shooter in the forehead.

Like everybody else I have had a lot of various breakages in many different guns over the years so I am not going to list any broken springs, sights, ejectors, extractors and other small parts. I do not even remember most of them. Here, however, are two incidents that surprised me at the time.

1.Gun - CZ Shadow.
    Setting: Practice
    Failure: Broken slide - Recoil spring housing separated from the slide - see the picture. Around 50K through the gun
    Fix: Had to buy a new slide. The gun was older than 5 years and CZ denied the warranty.
    My gun

Name:  Shadow 1 Slide broken.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  17.9 KB

2. CZ TSO
    Setting: Practice
    Failure: Barrel broke in half - see the picture
    Fix: Had to get a new barrel. CZ eventually shipped me a new one. Took almost 2 months
    Around 30K through the gun, my gun

Name:  Capture.PNG No SN.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  100.0 KB
    Last edited by cheby; 01-06-2023 at 01:27 AM.

Gun: Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Setting: Indoor Gun Range
    Failure: Gun blew up. Slide, frame, magazine, barrel went everywhere.

This was rental gun at an indoor range. The guy in the lane next to me was shooting it. It was completely destroyed, looked like a bomb had gone off inside the gun as parts were everywhere. It was a miracle the guy shooting it was alright. His hand looked normal and he said it just felt like someone had smacked his hand with a stick, but otherwise he was fine.

The thing about semiautos is what was the cause of the problems? Ammo, yeah, lots of times in my experience. Even guns like my Beretta 84, which was about as reliable as any gun I've ever had, would have problems with a box of ammo, or boxes from one maker. I have some oddball 9mm stuff ( I can't remember the brand, and I'm not at home to look) that just has problems in almost all my handguns, but my Kel-Tec SUB2000 eats them like candy. It takes Beretta 92 mags and I have a couple of those 31? round mags and it will crank right through them, but in all my CZ/clone guns, it's a random stovepipe or it gets crushed as the slide goes into battery. The cases are just off shape enough to not make it in all the way.

I'm going to be buying a 9mm revolver one of these days and that gun will get all the off stuff.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Gun: Glock 48 w/ SCD
    Setting: Outdoor range, varying weather conditions, but generally dusty
    Failure: Repeat failures to return to battery. First 100 rounds or so, could not finish a magazine w/o failure.
    Fix: sent to glock 2x who failed to replicate the issue w/o SCD. I kept shooting it. Over time the issue seemed to resolve itself. Suspect it was an area of high finish or otherwise excess friction that simply polished down through repeat use. No issues since it broke 800 rounds or so but it remains my backup/practice gun. Notably, my 2nd Glock 48 did not have these issues.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-06-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    Glock 19 Gen 2 - springs break about 10K out.
    Taurus 94 revolver - won't revolve
    Taurus Pt-22, jams on everything, ejects live rounds trying to feed them, catches them and bends them on way to chamber
    SW 442, ejector rod won't stay screwed.
    Glock 42, one of the first, jamming horror, back to shop, still don't trust it for EDC.

Normal wear and tear -
    AR-15, from 1994 ish, got to 2019, started to double, sheared stuff. Got it fixed, sold it.

Seen of others - Beretta 92 - safety level fell off in a class
    Kel-tec SU-16, stock cracked in half during a class
    Various after market, frankensteined Glocks - jammy

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Seen of others - Beretta 92 - safety level fell off in a class
    Is this the right side ambi lever? If so, unnecessary part.

User Tag List