Name:  20230915_124739.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:  20230915_124743.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  15.3 KB

Gun: Dead Air Sierra 5 suppressor
    Setting: Range
    How did it fail: front set of mount “teeth” broke off / blew out during firing.
    What was the remedy: replaced OEM mount with generic dead air hub mount.
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: someone else’s

This occurred on the owner’s second range session with this can. Total round count under 500.

It was mounted in a SOLGW 11.5” Factory SBR

HK USPc TRS, heavy

Name:  20231021_134310.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  59.5 KBName:  20231021_120250.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  66.2 KB
    Name:  20231016_203856.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  27.5 KB

My gun.

During dry fire.

Only 2500 rounds, but weekly dry fire, double action. Estimate 5000 dry fire pulls. Wonder if the DA dryfire was the culprit, or just the simple, things break.

The Heavy Trigger Return Spring, part #219441, I installed in 2016 to duplicate TLG LEM configuration broke in the middle of the center coil.

After almost 3 hours of fiddling I managed to reinstall the Stock TRS without the special tool. Runs fine now but the reset is slow and not positive at all. A call to HKCS should get a new Heavy TRS in the mail, unless they recommend another option.

Any other suggestions for springs-parts
    @blues

You want to talk with some others with HK experience. I've never owned or carried HK on the job, but for MP5.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gun: Glock 48
    Setting: Local match I run
    How did it fail: Mag fell out repeatedly. Shield metal mag shaved the OEM polymer mag catch.
    What was the remedy: Metal mag catch
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: Someone else's

Notes: This is not intuitive to normal folks.

Gun: Glock 17
    Setting: Local match I run
    How did it fail: Turned into a bolt action.
    What was the remedy: I thought it was either thumb interference or, more likely an improperly installed slide lock.
    Someone else's:

Notes: He found me a week later and said it was the slide lock. He had the spring over the pin.

Not a failure per se, but interesting
    Gun: FN FNH
    Setting: A local match I run
    How did it fail: He pushed down on the safety enough to decock when he meant to take it off safe.
    What was the remedy: Don't smash down so hard
    Someone else's:

Notes: I didn't think this was a real problem, just assumed it was someone making up a reason to not like the USP (about which I originally heard this concern)

Big lesson is that I think we can modify the old M2 heuristic to this: Operator, non-OEM, gunplumbing

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_1406.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  43.3 KB

Gun: CZ P-10. 9mm
    How did it fail: slide release lever broke during firing.
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: someone else’s
    Gun has 10k rounds on it and has had at least 1 recoil spring change.

Sig P229 .40 S&W. Plain jane one, nothing fancy.
    Bought used for a (IMHO) excessively high price at LGS minutes earlier.
    Someone else's gun. We looked it over and saw zero issues, it had very little wear on it. I would give it 90%+ easily.
    About 100 rounds in, I was shooting it, and I felt something hit my arm. It didn't hurt much, but something cut me.
    Part of the slide had broken off/out and the barrel chamber was bulged and cracked. No damage to the barrel itself, but the hood was trashed.
    I think one of the reloads the owner had bought to shoot was overcharged. The owner said that the rounds I fired just before my arm was hit sounded "more powerful".
    I didn't notice any recoil increase at all. Luckily, the ammo and gun were both bought there and the range boss was talking to us when it happened, and a refund was given. My friend bought a CPO P229 from a GB seller. All is well with that gun.

Gun: Staccato P-DPO (4.45” bbl)
    Setting: Local IDPA Match - Third stage
    How did it fail: Broken extractor claw
    What was the remedy: Used spare pistol (That I almost didn’t bring)
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: Mine

Notes:

I have at least 5,000 rounds through this pistol, and I think a good amount more than that, but I don’t think more than 10,000.

It’s been totally reliable with the exception of some gen 2 mags not locking the slide on empty (this started to occur somewhat recently) when they got old. This week I started using new gen 2 mags I had tucked away and it has been running 100%. I’m waiting for springs and followers to come back in stock at Staccato and I’ll retrofit the old mags and see if that gives them new life.

Shot a local IDPA match here in East Tennessee yesterday. Got through two stages and felt pretty good when my second shot on stage 3 was a fail to extract. In that moment my brain:

“FIX IT! - and by the way this is really weird because this has never happened with this pistol and I hate having reliability doubts but just keep going and we’ll see what happens - oh good the malfunction is cleared so let’s get back into it and press… DAMNIT another extraction failure… F-this dude! I’m out! You’re on your own!”

Once my brain decided to exit stage left I continued to clear and fire single shots until the SO stopped me at five total shots and three malfunction clearances. I went to the safe area and saw that the extractor claw had broken. Certainly made removal easier.

I grabbed my C2 and finished the match, but the recoil difference, short vs long trigger, and smaller optic all combined to make it a much harder match following the P going down.

I’ve cracked two firing pin stops on different 1911s, dealt with hammer follow on several, got one so dirty that the Disconnector stuck and prevented reset, bought a used Colt that turned out to have a scant safety, and had a hammer strut break in half on one gun, but this was my first broken extractor.

Site Supporter
    A couple I can think of:
    First gen sig 365 came to our range as a rental gun. In less than 500 rounds the tip of the striker broke off, gun was sent back to sig and repaired.
    My personal 226 (which has actually been incredibly reliable) had a recoil spring break in two inside the gun. That was with 12-15k live ammo plus a lot of dry fire. I don’t really blame the gun for that, and I’ve since bought a stash or recoil springs and replace them more regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Gun: Kimber 5” 1911 .45 ACP
    How did it fail: Wilson Combat Thumb Safety installed 6 months ago snapped in half.
    What was the remedy: pending installation of a new thumb safety
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: someone else’s.

Name:  IMG_6202.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  68.7 KB

The owner is a “shooter” by P-F standards I.e. shoots at least weekly but most shoots 9mm so I don’t think this gun has a very high round count. Safety was installed by a gunsmith.

PS: I believe I posted elsewhere on PF about a Wilson Combat Slide stop lever breaking on this same gun a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Name:  20231021_134310.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  59.5 KBName:  20231021_120250.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  66.2 KB
    Name:  20231016_203856.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  27.5 KB

My gun.

During dry fire.

Only 2500 rounds, but weekly dry fire, double action. Estimate 5000 dry fire pulls. Wonder if the DA dryfire was the culprit, or just the simple, things break.

The Heavy Trigger Return Spring, part #219441, I installed in 2016 to duplicate TLG LEM configuration broke in the middle of the center coil.

After almost 3 hours of fiddling I managed to reinstall the Stock TRS without the special tool. Runs fine now but the reset is slow and not positive at all. A call to HKCS should get a new Heavy TRS in the mail, unless they recommend another option.

Any other suggestions for springs-parts
    @blues
    Snap caps? Light trs lasts longer but heavy trs more better. I go by the rule of thumb 10k trigger presses for the trs. Keep some on hand and buy the 20 dollar tool

User Tag List