Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub Nosed Revolver Recommendations

If I was in the market for a snub as a range shooter, I’d seriously consider the new Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    If I was in the market for a snub as a range shooter, I’d seriously consider the new Cobra.
    Why the Cobra over any of the other choices that have had decades of continuous development?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Why the Cobra over any of the other choices that have had decades of continuous development?
    I am missing the part where the Cobra doesn't have decades.....and more than almost anything else, of continuous development? Trust me, the internals of my M&P 340's I daily carry are as modernized over the internals of a 50's J frame as the Cobra is modernized over a 1930's D frame.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    If I'm following the thread correctly, the OP is looking for smaller than K frame. For a range gun (not sure about a snub as a dedicated range gun), 6 shots, heavy to absorb recoil, a smooth consistent trigger pull, and easy to swap out front sights.

On a personal note:
    1. I have several Smith snubbies, including old 36s.
    2. The first handgun I held as a boy was my grandfather's Detective Special.
    3. When my Grandparents passed, my father promised I'd get said Detective Special, since I'm the only "gun guy" in the family. He has since reneged.

Admittedly, a little personal bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I am missing the part where the Cobra doesn't have decades.....and more than almost anything else, of continuous development? Trust me, the internals of my M&P 340's I daily carry are as modernized over the internals of a 50's J frame as the Cobra is modernized over a 1930's D frame.
    I did say continuous.

I'm not for or against the Cobra, I was looking for an explanation to the suggestion.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

For a range gun (not sure about a snub as a dedicated range gun)
    Building the revolver collection and I dont have a snub yet. I dont plan on pulling it into the carry rotation as I have so much training time in on semis and have the bases covered for what I need. So it will be relegated to range use hence it doesnt need to have a concealed, bobbed or shrouded hammer, be pocket carry size, snag free, or any of the other carry revolver criteria we normally run through.

Why do I need to add a snub to the collection? I dont know, it just feels like it must be done.

I’m very intrigued by Darryl’s comparison with the older Colts since I dont have any trigger time on any. Part of the hesitation for me on the new Cobra is the “but I could have spent the same amount and got a nice 3rd issue Detective Special” with some collector value and history (if 3rd issues qualify for that, they seem to sell very well).

However, I value shooting enjoyment above all and I buy guns to shoot and enjoy, not sit. I buy stock for investments, cant shoot those (cant say that I enjoy them either).
    Last edited by FPS; 10-20-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Does anyone have experience with the new S&W 66? I was super excited when I first heard about it but the reviews seem mixed.

For your budget and needs OP, I would recommend looking for a used S&W 19 snub nose. Beautiful guns with lots of history and there are enough of them out there you can find a used one in good condition for under your budget.

Usually Model 10/64 2” available on gunbroker. Sometimes a Model 15 2”.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I've been thinking about purchasing a 642 or an LCR for the last couple years. Mainly for quick trips to the store when I'm in athletic shorts and don't feel like changing into to something more robust to carry a G19 in.
    Academy has them both on sale for $399 and this seems like a decent price. Is there a preference for one of these over the other? If the 642 has the internal lock, is that a deal breaker?

Edit- or should I go get a used S&W Model 10 and just put on my edc to hit the store....
    Last edited by holmes168; 10-24-2017 at 07:31 AM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I think your best bet is a 442-1. It is sans lock and is in production and available.
    Install an Apex kit and you will have a very nice snubbie.

User Tag List