Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub Nosed Revolver Recommendations

Site Supporter
    If you are looking for shooting enjoyment, look closely at the sights. Colt Detective Specials with the ramped sight extending all the way down the barrel have good inherent accuracy, but are often quite frustrating to shoot. That front sight reflects light and disappears in a wide variety of what would normally be considered good lighting conditions.

I would give serious thought to a Ruger LCP a new Colt Cobra, although I have no personal experience with either.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If you are looking for shooting enjoyment, look closely at the sights. Colt Detective Specials with the ramped sight extending all the way down the barrel have good inherent accuracy, but are often quite frustrating to shoot. That front sight reflects light and disappears in a wide variety of what would normally be considered good lighting conditions.

I would give serious thought to a Ruger LCP a new Colt Cobra, although I have no personal experience with either.
    Great point.

Any have much hands on time with the Kimber K6s or new Cobra?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    For shooting enjoyment with a snubnose, your best bet may be a 3" Model 60, if you want to stay with a S&W.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter

As many have stated "snub nose" and "shooting enjoyment" don't go together very well, or very often. If you're just looking for a shorter tubed round gun, I'd look for a K or L frame 2.5" older pistol, or an SP101 with a 3" barrel.

For J-frames, if you want to enjoy shooting it, go all steel, and shoot .38s

I think the only J-Frame I “enjoyed” shooting was a square-butt, 3” heavy-barrel Model 60, from a limited run made in the Eighties. With a round butt or typical tapered, slender 1-7/8” barrel, shooting my various other J-Snubs was OK. Aluminum alloy frame, still OK. Titanium cylinder with light alloy frame? Pain! I have kept one S&W J-Snub, a Model 642-derived Performance Center dubbed the M460. (Yes, S&W does recycle its model numbers.) It has a blackened finish, Mag-na-porting, and a sweet trigger job. The porting is wasted, as I only shoot mild .38 Special in it.

Regrettably, I let the heavy-barrel Model 60 go, in a sale or trade, in a now-forgotten moment of stupidity. I found its replacement in the SP101. I can enjoy shooting an SP101, with either 2.25” or 3” barrels, even with Magnum ammo, though age is creeping up on me, so I shoot fewer, and milder, Magnums. I have four .357 SP101 revolvers, with various barrel and hammer configurations. I can get all of my skinny fingers onto the SP101 OEM grip, except, of course, for the trigger finger doing its job on the trigger, and notably, my trigger finger falls “naturally” into place on the trigger.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-09-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Had a chance to check out a couple of Kimber K6 revolvers today. Felt good in the hand and the sights and triggers were very nice.

I am, from time to time, on the look-out for a nice K-Frame snub-gun with a round-butt grip frame, for which I am saving a nice set of BluMagnum round-to-square conversion Roper-style grips/stocks. I have never really liked round-butt grips on anything larger than a J-Snub. Perhaps it is because my hands are long, and a squared grip frame anchors itself better in the heel of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

I had a DS in this configuration, and that long front sight ramp was the devil. I now wish I had kept it, and had a ‘smith do something with that front sight.

I love my 642-1, which I converted to 9mm. Light, easy to shoot, and decent power with a compact reload (HKS .38 speedloaders and 9mm moonclips are like night and day).

User Tag List