Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub Nosed Revolver Recommendations

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I like my d-frame with presentation grips and wadcutter.

I've owned a couple of snubs. My observations:
    Model 64 snub- great, easy shooting gun.
    Model 36 snub- on the painful side of things, especially with the original splinter grips. A set of boot style grips helped.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    If you want to actually enjoy shooting it then I would suggest the Ruger SP101 (5774) Novak aka Wiley Clapp. It has a few extra features that are nice but most importantly it has good sights.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/...eets/5774.html
    Any Ruger with Novak sights should be bought brick and mortar so you can sort through the pile for one that has the dovetails cut correctly. That's a detail that Ruger routinely screws up, and they don't fix it when you send the gun back to them for rework. Novak's site has a description of what a correct dovetail fit is and why it's important.

I would concur that a K snub is likely to be the sweetest.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    Are the triggers on the old model 36s better than the new J frames?
    Yes - they tend to be.

The baseline Airweight J-Frames (Mod 642, for example) weigh about 15 oz and the all-steel guns about 21 oz. On paper, 6 ounces doesn't sound like much, but the heaver guns are much more comfortable to shoot and a bit more durable as well.

If you want something with a hammer, look at the Model 36 (Blue or Nickel) or the model 60 (stainless). If a hammerless or low-profiled hammer gun scratches your itch, then the Model 49 (Nickel or Blue) or the equivalent gun in stainless (Model 649) would be a good choice. The DAO J-Frames like the Model 640 are nice guns, too.

A quick check revealed these examples:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/703501977
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/705961418
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/704625772
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/702570857

If you're willing to spend a thousand bucks, you should have no problem finding a nice, older gun in unfired condition ..... with some money to spare.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-08-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I just sold a Model 36-1, probably manufactured in 1979. The single-action trigger pull was very nice, but the narrow grooved trigger made the double-action trigger pull feel uncomfortably heavy. I actually prefered the feel of the double-action trigger on my new 442.

A wider smooth trigger or a smooth trigger shoe would have helped the feel of that 36.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-08-2017 at 06:26 PM.

If you're insistent on a smaller than K frame, consider the 3" S&W model 60 in .38 or .357 with adjustable sights. Those are actually really neat little trail guns. Same goes for the all steel 640 2" .38's... lighter than the magnum models and super shootable too. Most S&W J frames benefit from good trigger, jobs or at the least an Apex kit.

The 3" Ruger lcrx also has a surprising good factory trigger.

All 3 of these options are really fun with wadcutters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    If you want to actually enjoy shooting it then I would suggest the Ruger SP101 (5774) Novak aka Wiley Clapp. It has a few extra features that are nice but most importantly it has good sights.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/...eets/5774.html

Hizzie - sorry for being so crass, but what was the cost of that #5774 Wiley Clapp?

If I was going to buy a snub to shoot with that budget I would shop for a 640 Pro.

I friend of mine had a black Wiley Clap Sp101 that was pretty nice. The sights were a not POA/POI but I don’t remember the exact issue. He ended up selling it though.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Hizzie - sorry for being so crass, but what was the cost of that #5774 Wiley Clapp?
    No worries. $615
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    If I was going to buy a snub to shoot with that budget I would shop for a 640 Pro.

I friend of mine had a black Wiley Clap Sp101 that was pretty nice. The sights were a not POA/POI but I don’t remember the exact issue. He ended up selling it though.

The only black SP101 I’m aware of is the 5779 and it lacks the Novak sights. There is a Hawkeye Blue GP100 with Novak sights. That’s the 1753 Wiley Clapp II iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List