Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub Nosed Revolver Recommendations

Snub Nosed Revolver Recommendations

Some time in the next year it will be time to add a snub nosed revolver to the collection. Primary purpose is shooting enjoyment. A bit of collectibilty factor would be nice as well.

Probably looking for smaller than K frame size. Been looking at older SW Model 36s or 3rd gen/issue Colt Detective Specials in Nickel but have no hands on experience with either other than what I’ve read over the years.

If it’s mainly for shooting enjoyment, I’d rather have a k-frame than a j-frame.

Do you have a caliber preference? What about a budget limit? Answers to those questions will help you make a decision.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

- 38 spc is fine, have enough 357 mag and other big bore
    - I recently bought a K38 masterpiece, pre model 15, 4 inch so was looking for something in a different size category
    - Price range up to $1000

Only j frame i have shot was one similar to a 637 (very cramped, not comfortable to shoot) and i hated it but wasnt sure if all j frames were like that or there was some variance in feel. Kind of looking toward d frame size but open to exploring j frames.
    Last edited by FPS; 10-08-2017 at 05:26 PM.

2" or 3" K frames really are the pick of the litter. All the better is you have a good trigger job done by Chestnut Mountain Sports or Mike LaRocca.

If you want to actually enjoy shooting it then I would suggest the Ruger SP101 (5774) Novak aka Wiley Clapp. It has a few extra features that are nice but most importantly it has good sights.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/...eets/5774.html
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    - 38 spc is fine, have enough 357 mag and other big bore
    - I recently bought a K38 masterpiece, pre model 15, 4 inch so was looking for something in a different size category
    - Price range up to $1000
    You can get a model 15 snub, and have a 'set.' A model 10 would be the fixed sight version.

If you'd like a J frame a model 36 is hard to beat, just keep in mind the old ones don't really care for +P ammo loaded with heavy bullets, ask me how I know.

Any of those shouldn't exceed $500 unless you run into a collector's specimen with all the doo-dads that came with it new. There are other options of course, if you want a K frame Airweight you can look for a model 12, if you're interested in a stainless K frame you can look for a model 64. Again, I'd walk if any of those were over $500 unless they were absolutely pristine.

ETA: All that and I reread and saw you were looking for smaller than K frames.

I think a model 36 would be an excellent companion to the model 15. You can get a model 60 if you'd prefer stainless. Of course there's also the models 37, 38, and 49 that might be what you're looking for, none are in production these days. If you're looking for brand new a 442 or 642 would be a good choice.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 10-08-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    Julius Caesar

Are the triggers on the old model 36s better than the new J frames?

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    Are the triggers on the old model 36s better than the new J frames?
    Either can be tweaked with the addition of a spring kit. I don't know that I've noticed a lot of different between the triggers of the old and new across the board.
    Julius Caesar

Have you shot J frames before? I have a 642 and the word "enjoyment" never entered my mind.

There are some 442/642s still being made without the lock.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 10-08-2017 at 06:08 PM.

User Tag List