Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines procuring Glock 19M's

Site Supporter

Marines procuring Glock 19M's

It appears the Marines aren't buying the XM-17 Koolaide...

2nd MarDiv Developing UONS for Glock 19M
    According the 2nd Marine Division Gunner, CW5 Christian Wade, they are working on an Urgent Operational Needs Statement for Glock 19Ms to outfit Afghanistan-bound members of the unit.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/10/08...edium=facebook

Solid choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's an odd procurement. I'm of two minds about it - on the one hand, I'd like to understand what the urgent need for pistols is in Afghanistan that can only be filled by an emergency purchase of new 19Ms (M9s, M9A1s, M11s, and M45s simply won't do). On the other hand, I understand the USMC was exploring the compact XM18 (vice the full size XM17) for general issue, much like SOCOM uses the G19/Mk27. Considering that the MHS reliability testing of the XM18 compact model (only 1500 rounds per the GAO report) was not as complete as the XM17 full size model (12500 rounds), perhaps the USMC’s immediate requirement is better met by a pistol that has been subjected to more exhaustive reliability testing (the G19M was subjected to 20000 rounds of reliability testing by FBI).

I'll note that while recent Army small arms procurement has been a soup sandwich (the ICSR seems to have died as quickly as it emerged, the XM25 is a mess, LSAT still has yet to generate results, and regardless of whether you like the MHS result the acquisition process was widely ridiculed), the USMC has quietly leveraged partnerships (predominantly with SOCOM) that have resulted in the M27 IAR, the Mk318 SOST, and wider suppressor use - as a few examples. I'm not surprised to see the Marines again taking another page from SOCOM with the G19 (albeit the 19M, though the USMC relationship with - and proximity to - the FBI is another strong partnership).
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-08-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Possibly USMC is buying on behalf of the Afghanis.

And, could be a whole lotta nuthin about nuthin - it's a facebook post, ffs.

Speaking of which, why the actual FUCK is a CW5 posting ANYTHING about deployment needs on FUCKING FACEBOOK?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

Speaking of which, why the actual FUCK is a CW5 posting ANYTHING about deployment needs on FUCKING FACEBOOK?
    Maybe he felt it was warranted.

Site Supporter

The 2nd Marine Division Gunner appears to have started his FB page to get the word out directly to the troops modeling after the 82nd Airborne's Small Arms Master Gunner Page.

Your 18 to 20 something troops don't read manuals and bulletins but some of them do read FB, even though most in that age range think FB is for "old people."

PS - though the 2nd Mariine Division Gunner means well, the 82's page is a much better professional resource.

Wait, CW5's are real? I thought they were like unicorns...

I think Glock losing the MHS contract, but the FBI and special operations community using more and more Glocks is the best thing that ever happened to their image.

Anything standard issue is going to be called junk whether it is or not, anything SOCOM, MARSOC, 1 SFOD, HRT, etc uses is tier one stuff whether it is or not.

Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List