Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines procuring Glock 19M's

Quote Originally Posted by GCBHM View Post
    I think it can be argued that they do, but it’s a simple matter of training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We used to say about our "Cat 4's" (GT category four--scores of 70-85, comparable to the same IQ score) that they "needed retraining every morning." As for the rest, yes they can be trained but, given everything else they have to do, will they be adequately trained on a pistol? Perhaps--some units do it--but I don't think it is uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    We used to say about our "Cat 4's" (GT category four--scores of 70-85, comparable to the same IQ score) that they "needed retraining every morning." As for the rest, yes they can be trained but, given everything else they have to do, will they be adequately trained on a pistol? Perhaps--some units do it--but I don't think it is uniform.
    Right, I‎t depends on the unit. Some aren’t issued pistols at all, but if they’re going to issue pistols, they should be adequately trained.

Right, I‎t depends on the unit. Some aren’t issued pistols at all, but if they’re going to issue pistols, they should be adequately trained.

There has been a push for "adequate training" across the services for years, but outside of SOCOM and the like it won't happen soon. For the majority of conventional forces a pistol is a status symbol and little else and I think some concern about going to a SFA pistol from a TDA is warranted. Personally, I think it is worth it but it would be unrealistic to not expect injuries directly linked to inexperience and a SFA pistol.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    There has been a push for "adequate training" across the services for years, but outside of SOCOM and the like it won't happen soon. For the majority of conventional forces a pistol is a status symbol and little else and I think some concern about going to a SFA pistol from a TDA is warranted. Personally, I think it is worth it but it would be unrealistic to not expect injuries directly linked to inexperience and a SFA pistol.
    Maybe so, but with more and more military units going to the SF pistol, it is equally reasonable to believe training can overcome such occurrences.

Maybe so, but with more and more military units going to the SF pistol, it is equally reasonable to believe training can overcome such occurrences.

I'm aware of pretty good small arms training in a couple of Airborne Infantry units outside of SOCOM. I think the services are tracking the right direction.

This is the Chief's counterpart. https://www.facebook.com/82ndAbnDivSAMG/
    Last edited by JHC; 11-09-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm aware of pretty good small arms training in a couple of Airborne Infantry units outside of SOCOM. I think the services are tracking the right direction.

This is the Chief's counterpart. https://www.facebook.com/82ndAbnDivSAMG/
    This is what all of the combat arms units in the Army and Marines need, and they need it on a consistent basis. Soldiers/Marines who can hit their targets with all the weapons a rifle company has (including pistols) are a formidable opponent. Soldiers/Marines who can perform important tasks such as correctly naming each of the 60 some "genders" and explaining in detail critical whiteness theory, but can't hit the broad side of a barn are somewhat less formidable.

And, if your soldiers/Marines are truly competent with their weapons they are far less likely to have AD's/ND's so issuing them Glocks stops being a problem.

Totally agree, I'm just not expecting it to happen in the 75%+ of the conventional forces that aren't "line" units. It just isn't a priority and it is hard to make it a priority given the demands on some of those units.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Totally agree, I'm just not expecting it to happen in the 75%+ of the conventional forces that aren't "line" units. It just isn't a priority and it is hard to make it a priority given the demands on some of those units.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I've been told by our Glock rep that the US Civilian market buys 9 of the model 19 for every 1 of the 17 sold.
    That's a shame IMHO.

Site Supporter
    I recall reading about a service member who managed to shoot himself in the backside while holstering a Beretta. TDA with a safety does not totally avoid this problem.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List