Thread: Screws loosening on Uberti Cattleman

Screws loosening on Uberti Cattleman

I asked this in another forum and didn't get much response so I thought I'd try here. I recently purchased a Uberti Cattleman in .357 magnum. I've had it out to the range four times and put maybe 100 to 150 rounds through it. I didn't have any particular issue at the first range trip but early in the second the screw holding on the ejector rod assembly came out and the ejector rod fell off. I was lucky enough to find the screw and assumed maybe it had not been tightened sufficiently at the factory. I put the ejector rod back on at home. I did a bit of dry firing and saw that it had worked loose again. I re-tightened it went to the range again. It loosened again along with the screw holding the trigger assembly to the frame. The cylinder was getting very difficult to rotate, which I'm thinking may have been associated with the trigger assembly slipping down a bit. With as few rounds as I have through the gun, it's clear it doesn't take much firing to loosen the screws. I took it home and tightened everything again. Went to the range again, cylinder rod screw came loose entirely and trigger assembly screw was noticeably loose. I'm getting the screws plenty tight enough. I'm wondering if Locktite would be a fix for this but I don't have any experience with it. My sense is the blue Locktite may work but I didn't want to mess with it until I knew it wouldn't permanently lock in the screws (looks like red Locktite may come close to doing that?). Anyway, any thoughts or advice appreciated.

I'm not personally familiar with the Uberti pistols, but screws loosening isnt unusual with single actions in general. Some removable loc tite is a good idea, as is regularly checking the screws. Having spares around is generally a good idea.

BTW, Uberti is known for soft screws in their rifles. I dont know if that is true for the revolvers. Checking on the cowboy action forums may yield more info. I think replacement screws of better quality are available for the rifles, they may also be available for the revolvers.

DO NOT Locktite the screws, that will lead to even bigger problems with the soft screws Uberti uses. This is a characteristic of single actions of the Colt design. They typically shoot loose and the need to tighten every thing after a shooting session is not unusual. Having them loosen as quickly as you state is a bit unusual though. Are you sure you're getting them tight? If it's a huge issue you may need to contact Uberti.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Been shooting Uberti's for 20 years and the more recent guns are of much higher quality. But screws are going to shoot loose on ALL SAA designs. Either get a set of screw tips of the right size for SAA revolvers or a special set of the Gracie hollow ground screw drivers (3 tips or 3 screw drivers) and you will not mar the screws when you tighten them.

Several companies sell a set of tiny red screw washers that will slow this loosening process down, however they are not durable at all and will have to be replaced in no time. You do not really want to locktite anything as cited, but if you convince yourself it is the way, please only use the blue variety.

Tightening and checking screws on a SAA is part of ownership if you are going to shoot them a lot. In the 19'th century Colt shipped the gun with a special two tip L shapped accessory for that purpose.

I took all three of my Uberti guns to the local smith and had him replace all of the springs and screws with quality parts instead.

Problem solved.

Problem staying solved. Honey Badger FTW.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

The exact thing that happened to the OP happened to me as well.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Thanks for the input. Sounds like trying to get some higher quality screws may be the way to go. I really appreciate the information.

Site Supporter
    I had the same probllem with the same brand. I would not use Loctite on trigger screws but would on the ejector rod screw. I disagree that singlle action revolvers are more prone to screw loosening. The best bet woild be to call Brownells and get the correct metric screw. Then Loctite it.
    Last edited by willie; 10-08-2017 at 09:02 PM.

User Tag List