Thread: Finally a useful tactical reload

Site Supporter

Finally a useful tactical reload

Today we had a carbine match that followed IDPA setups. We were rained out last week. In a stage, we were to shoot at a series of targets then do a tac reload and continue. Ok - bang, bang on the targets. Stow the magazine and reload. Jam, tack, rack, bang, jam, jam - DAMN - drop the recalcitrant mag and get the stowed mag and continue. Time was crap, points down was good.

How about that! The problem - well, during one of the ammo droughts I bought a box of 40 gr Winchester varmint rounds. So loading up for the match, since I don't shoot varmints - I decided to load a magazine with them. It was them - evil!! The mag was fine with in other matches. When the stowed mag replaced it with standard 55 gr Fiocchi, the gun ran fine for the rest of the state.

One round actual had its bullet shoved back into the casing when tap, racking, etc. I gave the remaining few rounds to an LEO friend who likes them for a bolt gun and coyotes.

No other jams for the rest of the match. Thus, the ammo seems the problem. Now it could just be that mag but as I said, it worked just fine at the last match.

Fun at the match.

1. One guy's optic goes out during the stage. He gets upset and since this is just club match and who cares who wins, he reshoots.
    2. One guy forgets to flip up his lens cover as he starts shooting. Oops.
    3. One guy can't keep his mag in the rifle. First one drops out, it is replaced. This stage needs a reload, that is done - and out the mag falls.
    4. SBR in 308, blast and flame!! Jams each stage.

Was this a Texas tactical match? Are you guys giving Mike a hard time?

Site Supporter
    Yep, and no - Mike is a great match director. He wasn't there anyway - on vacation. Fairly big crowd.

Reading stuff like this makes me want to shoot PCC. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Yep, and no - Mike is a great match director. He wasn't there anyway - on vacation. Fairly big crowd.
    Good deal. If you ever come up to one of the Austin matches run by him you will like them too.

Site Supporter
    Austin is too much of a pain for my old bones to get up to. With 3 Mike matches, Eric's short range, the two steel matches and USPSA in various places - I have enough riches near me!

Also, sadly - my 70 ish body is getting old. A carbine match from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM and I'm ready for a nap. I think I will shoot the next IDPA match. I'm going to drag my SW Model 19 out of its cave. I've been shooting different guns for the experience with them.

Come down to Cedar Ridge! Just get on 281!

User Tag List