Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reduced Recoil...why?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I bought some Remington Sluggers, LE ammunition. Reduced recoil, and normal. That is the same 1oz slug, allegedly at 1200fps, and at 1560fps. (I say allegedly, as I have not chronographed them yet).

I staggered them in the mag tube, and couldn't tell the difference. I was shooting a Benelli Super Nova Tactical with a Limbsaver OEM fit replacement pad.

Literally could not tell which round I was firing. I can tell the difference between 75gr Gold Dot and 55gr Gold Dot from an M4 carbine. COULD NOT tell between these two slugs.

What's the point in reduced recoil? Is this a normal finding "at this recoil level"? Is the limbsaver blunting the heavier kick better as it deforms more, and the same feeling impulse reaches me? What's up?
    These loads exist for non gun people in LE agencies who occasionally have to fire shotguns. They are normally running pump guns with stocks which are too long and most are not taught "push-pull."

I prefer full power slugs for duty but I can tell the difference between full power and reduced recoil slugs in an 870. The OP is running a a heavier gun which is also a gas operated semi auto - both factors in mitigating recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    These loads exist for non gun people in LE agencies who occasionally have to fire shotguns. They are normally running pump guns with stocks which are too long and most are not taught "push-pull."

I prefer full power slugs for duty but I can tell the difference between full power and reduced recoil slugs in an 870. The OP is running a a heavier gun which is also a gas operated semi auto - both factors in mitigating recoil.
    I was running them out of my Supernova. Out of my M1014, I actually can tell, the pump? No. Weird.

I find the SuperNova super soft shooting.

I run a RC reduced power slug for matches and would be happy to use it defensively. 28gram load(I think thats on ounce?) that runs 1170-1200. Feels like shooting 28gram birdshot, noticeably easier to run in stages, and especially from compromised positions.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I find the SuperNova super soft shooting.

I run a RC reduced power slug for matches and would be happy to use it defensively. 28gram load(I think thats on ounce?) that runs 1170-1200. Feels like shooting 28gram birdshot, noticeably easier to run in stages, and especially from compromised positions.
    Maybe it has to do with the polymer/steel construction. I wonder if the gun "flexes" under recoil to mitigate some of it?

One benefit of reduced recoil (besides turning my 12ga from a headache machine into a fun shooter) is that the patterns tend to be tighter, and foster slugs are less prone to turning into lead doughnuts and penetrate deeper (as seen on YouTube). Even with Flitecontrol, the 9 pellet loads are tighter in the low recoil version than the full power version. I have a few boxes of the Vital Shok full power Flitecontrol that managed to get into my range bag, and noticed the patterns were larger and more erratic than with the "Personal Defense" or LE132 version. Note that the Federal "Deep Penetrator" slug is a "low recoil" load compared to the Vital Shock, even though it does not state it on the box (1350FPS vs. 1600FPS 1 oz. slug).
    Last edited by Tabasco; 10-27-2017 at 01:01 PM.

As a physically small middle-aged guy who rarely shoots a shotgun with anything heavier than clay target loads, I can feel a difference. Larger/stronger/better shooters may not.

Perception of recoil is subjective, but the muzzle energy numbers indicate that there really should be less recoil. Works for me.

The older you get the more you will appreciate reduced recoil loads.

Just looking for a bit more data, as hunting season rolls around again. I shot a deer last year with a Federal DPRS. Results sucked. Deer ran 125+ yards, slug hit the heart, lung, and frontal part of stomach (was an angling shot). I was pretty unimpressed especially with the lung-tissue damage.

Obviously a poor slug for use on deer, I know now, but should I move to a LR Truball (regular lead slug), or the Truball full power, or maybe the Fiocchi full power? What about in buckshot? Is there a difference noticed in the morgue/at hunting camp, or in the field/on the street in reaction to the hit? Does it matter? Is Low-recoil the participation trophy of shotguns, or is it like running 87 octane in the new Mustang GT where it costs you like 15 horsepower but saves you 50 cents a gallon?
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-21-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Maybe it has to do with the polymer/steel construction. I wonder if the gun "flexes" under recoil to mitigate some of it?
    My non-Tactical SuperNova with the ConfortTech stock, longer barrel and magextension (adds weight) definitely flexes by design I believe and is quite comfortable to shoot.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Just looking for a bit more data, as hunting season rolls around again. I shot a deer last year with a Federal DPRS. Results sucked. Deer ran 125+ yards, slug hit the heart, lung, and frontal part of stomach (was an angling shot). I was pretty unimpressed especially with the lung-tissue damage.

Obviously a poor slug for use on deer, I know now, but should I move to a LR Truball (regular lead slug), or the Truball full power, or maybe the Fiocchi full power? What about in buckshot? Is there a difference noticed in the morgue/at hunting camp, or in the field/on the street in reaction to the hit? Does it matter? Is Low-recoil the participation trophy of shotguns, or is it like running 87 octane in the new Mustang GT where it costs you like 15 horsepower but saves you 50 cents a gallon?
    Full power Foster slugs will destroy more meat than a reduced recoil slug because they will expand more than the reduced recoil versions.

With that said, I'd use whichever Foster slug tends to shoot more accurately/true to POA in your gun. So if I were you, I'd buy a couple boxes of each and go try them all out to compare. When I was growing up in NJ, I seem to remember dedicated rifled slug barrels with sabots being the most popular way to harvest white tail....I went the muzzle loader route instead.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List