Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reduced Recoil...why?

Reduced Recoil...why?

I bought some Remington Sluggers, LE ammunition. Reduced recoil, and normal. That is the same 1oz slug, allegedly at 1200fps, and at 1560fps. (I say allegedly, as I have not chronographed them yet).

I staggered them in the mag tube, and couldn't tell the difference. I was shooting a Benelli Super Nova Tactical with a Limbsaver OEM fit replacement pad.

Literally could not tell which round I was firing. I can tell the difference between 75gr Gold Dot and 55gr Gold Dot from an M4 carbine. COULD NOT tell between these two slugs.

What's the point in reduced recoil? Is this a normal finding "at this recoil level"? Is the limbsaver blunting the heavier kick better as it deforms more, and the same feeling impulse reaches me? What's up?

I can tell the difference when i shoot a reduced recoil vs. a normal slug. I don’t do limbsavers. Could be the difference.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I can tell the difference when i shoot a reduced recoil vs. a normal slug. I don’t do limbsavers. Could be the difference.
    Ditto.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Push-pull or just pull?

I've found no difference in low recoil ammo running push-pull as my shotgun method. Straight up pulling the gun into the shoulder? I can tell the difference.

As to why - this is a question I ask myself a lot, and I can only think of the value if you're running a pull-type method and or have recoil shy folks. In a semi-auto, reduced recoil reduces recoil and makes it faster to run the gun unless said semi needs full power loads to run properly. Although, I've not found a gun yet that wouldn't cycle low-recoil buck/slugs that would cycle high-brass birdshot. So, if high brass bird cycles the gun then low power buck and slugs should (at least in my experience).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-07-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Push-pull or just pull?

I've found no difference in low recoil ammo running push-pull as my shotgun method. Straight up pulling the gun into the shoulder? I can tell the difference.

As to why - this is a question I ask myself a lot, and I can only think of the value if you're running a pull-type method and or have recoil shy folks. In a semi-auto, reduced recoil reduces recoil and makes it faster to run the gun unless said semi needs full power loads to run properly. Although, I've not found a gun yet that wouldn't cycle low-recoil buck/slugs that would cycle high-brass birdshot. So, if high brass bird cycles the gun then low power buck and slugs should (at least in my experience).
    I used no specific technique. I held the weapon rather loosely, if anything, although in solid contact with my shoulder. I was just testing patterns, and didn't even bother with an aggressive stance or push-pull or any of the other "proper" methods. It could have been a .22 for all I cared.

Site Supporter
    I can typically tell the difference.

The stock's texture on my Stoeger M3k will slice my finger with full power slugs or buck.

Reduced recoil=no slicey finger

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shoot several reduced recoil first and then Sluggers.

What's the point of reduced recoil? Back in the '90's Federal came out with reduced recoil 00 and slugs. Reduced loads killed bad guys and didn't beat up officers using pump guns.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

There is probably a psychological benefit for recoil sensitive folks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is probably a psychological benefit for recoil sensitive folks.
    There always is a part to that... for all the years I’ve shot my .44 Magnum 629-1, people would say they would never shoot that gun. Or that it scares them. But I started shooting it at 12. The only problem I’ve ever had was unburnt powder hitting me in the face... and not to the point I ever stopped shooting.

I load my Ithaca 37 up with Remington Reduced Recoil 00. That is mainly because my girlfriend would use it in a home defense role. While I know she could handle the PDX1 in my 870 Police, I wouldn’t get her to train on it as much, if that is what she shot. High recoiling guns are not fun to shoot... so training is dreaded. There is a recoil difference between it and standard Remington 00, but performance wise, you aren’t going to see a difference within 15 yards (max range she would have to shoot within the house).

When someone is all amped up on adrenaline, sure... recoil isn’t that big of a factor. But need to still train on the gun, which is where low recoil shines. I just don’t see the benefit to pattern both, and if there is a difference between the two, have to get past that.

Site Supporter
    I've fired several 100 12 gauge buckshot and slug shotgun shells. Also, I've shot Hornady, Remington, and Federal low recoil buckshot shells and Federal's low recoil slug rounds. In a light weight 18 inch barrel weapon like the 870, I noticed a big difference between regular and reduced loads.

A regular 2 3/4" 12 ga buckshot shell has 9 pellets. The so called 2 3/4" magnum version has 12 pellets. The extra weight of 3 additional pellets significantly increases recoil. Low recoil 00 buckshot typically has 8 pellets. About slug ammo, I've seen some 12 ga rounds loaded with 1 1/4 oz slugs, a big increase in projectile weight. Typically the weight is 1 oz.

Low recoil buckshot permits faster follow up shots in lightweight pump shotguns. My opinion is that its use might reduce shooter error like short stroking. I can explain this statement but not briefly. For women and anyone else of smaller statue it may be a better choice. The fact that low recoil rounds have 8 pellets and not 9 or 12 contributes to tighter patterns. Less deformation from pellets "bumping" into each other upon firing and during the trip down the barrel is the reason.

I have access to rural land for shooting. When standing up on a high bank of a wide river and shooting at a stump 60 yards away and using various buckshot offerings, I can readily(and unscientifically)state that Federal Flite Control low recoil buckshot maintains pattern integrity. The difference between it and regular loads found in box stores is fantastic. Yes, I've shot my share of patterns on paper with the same observations.

I see no disadvantage in using the low recoil offerings. At shotgun ranges, I think that lethality would be the same.

User Tag List