Thread: Hammer fired but tuned guns VS striker fired gun on hard primers.

Hammer fired but tuned guns VS striker fired gun on hard primers.

Question to the guys who would know.

With the popularity of the hammered fired da/sa guns like the PX4CC and Beretta 92 Langdon/wilson guns running the 12# hammer springs. Would you think that they would do a better job on harder primers than say a stock Glock or etc.??

The reason I ask is years ago I had a batch of Win small pistol primers that about 10-15% of them would not go off shot trough a Glock but would with a stock HK P30. (LEM, light)

Id appreciate your thoughts.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Hammers hit harder , rounds that will not fire in my M&Ps or Glocks will fire when put in one of my 1911s.

I have no idea on a 12 pound hammer spring in a Beretta but do have one 1911 with a lighter than stock main spring that will light off rounds strikers do not like.
    Last edited by Patrick Taylor; 10-07-2017 at 01:32 PM.

I've got a full sized PX4 in 9mm with Beretta competition trigger pack and WC 12 pound hammer spring. I've got about 1000 rounds of Russian Brown Bear 9x19 FMJ thru it with this combo, and zero reliability issues.

In the past, using lighter striker springs in various Glock and M&P pistols has resulted in light strikes, using similar ammo. YMMV, of course.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Not all hammer springs are created equal; I found that the Wilson Chrome Silicon springs are a reliable choice. I had some light strikes in a tuned Brigadier Tactical with IIRC a 13# Wolff spring, which when removed appeared noticeably shorter in comparison to the Wilson Combat unit. I've hesitated to go lighter given this experience, but admittedly haven't given the 12# Wilson CS much of a chance. My Brigadier Tactical has proven quite reliable with the 13# Wilson CS spring.

Given a chance I'd have the Wilson Combat hammer also fitted to this pistol, but the trigger job was done with the original hammer so I'm leaving it be.

If you're using a lighter spring in your Beretta and cheaper ammo, it is worth noting this advice from Stimpee (from this thread which veered into a discussion of hammer spring weights...)

Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    How many rounds thru the gun?

We have found that with the lighter hammer springs, the gun can be much more sensitive to "schmutz" buildup in the firing pin channel and may require more substantial cleaning than normal. This is shown via evidence from doing firing pin indent tests on SAAMI spec copper crushers before/after a thorough detail strip and cleaning.

However should be probably 3500-5000 rounds before you would ever see this, depending on the ammo you are using. Some ammo, even decent quality stuff, can burn kind of dirty and gum things up.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-07-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Handloads have been finicky in my 92 with a 13lb spring. Factory ammo has always fired.

Fwiw, it's the Winchester primers that gave me trouble as well...I like the D spring for them but I reserve them for training ammo only.

But a stock Glock striker spring always lit them off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 10-07-2017 at 09:34 PM.

User Tag List